daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #161
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

And great it has been done

Great work man, you really understand how to handle a camera
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #162
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Cant remember seeing much of a university in Heidelburg, must have been away from the touristy older part? Still a pretty place to study though.
It's sometimes considered to be the oldest university in Germany (others are Prague and Vienna), nowadays it has 2 campuses off the centre (the biggest one on the edge of the city, across the Neckar) and several other buildings around the city. However, there are quite a few uni buildings in the centre itself, amongs others the central administration (right on Lange Straße, afaik) and a big canteen. As the campus idea is relatively new to German universities (and was introduced just in the 20th century afaik), elder unis are spread around the city and sometimes you'll hardly notice that its there.
Above all, a very pricy place to study, though.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #163
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3270

Quote:
You can see the roof of the American embassy, shame the rest of it isnt as impressive
Fantastic photo thread! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

I think the roof that you mean is not the one of the American embassy but the roof of the DZ Bank building.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #164
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post
And great it has been done

Great work man, you really understand how to handle a camera
Thanks! my ego is through the roof now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
It's sometimes considered to be the oldest university in Germany (others are Prague and Vienna), nowadays it has 2 campuses off the centre (the biggest one on the edge of the city, across the Neckar) and several other buildings around the city. However, there are quite a few uni buildings in the centre itself, amongs others the central administration (right on Lange Straße, afaik) and a big canteen. As the campus idea is relatively new to German universities (and was introduced just in the 20th century afaik), elder unis are spread around the city and sometimes you'll hardly notice that its there.
Above all, a very pricy place to study, though.
Thanks for the info, in the UK universitys tend to concentrate in their fields (ie all medical together, creative studies together etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
Fantastic photo thread! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

I think the roof that you mean is not the one of the American embassy but the roof of the DZ Bank building.
Thanks, love sharing the pics, its interesting to get the extra info from those in the know. Wasnt sure if it was the American embassy, thought it looked a bit fancy for the facade.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #165
cardiff

Its a helical staircase, so you come down a different spiral to the one you go up, like the Palace of Chambord in France

image hosted on flickr

P5152902 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5152907 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

A view to the victory column, it used to be just outside the Reichstag

image hosted on flickr

P5152909 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #166
cardiff

The new station

image hosted on flickr

P5152914 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

The top is open, with rain water being diverted, while stale air is expelled

image hosted on flickr

P5152917 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5152924 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #167
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5152926 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5152930 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

A building finally for all the German people

image hosted on flickr

P5152937 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #170
cardiff

Was quite an interesting space, its left up to the explorer to interpret it. Personally i interpreted it as the blocks being bodies. At first it easy to overlook them, but the further you get to the center the biger they are until they they are all around and above you, and you are unable to ignor them. Quite moving

image hosted on flickr

P5152962 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Heading to Potsdamer Platz

image hosted on flickr

P5152963 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Very cool building

image hosted on flickr

P5152966 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5152967 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:02 AM   #171
cardiff

Ritz carlton

image hosted on flickr

P5152974 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

A pano

image hosted on flickr

P5152976 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Sony center, was a really nice public space

image hosted on flickr

P5152988 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:03 AM   #172
cardiff

image hosted on flickr

P5152989 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Interesting that only Soviet memorabilia is for sale, i'm guessing aimed at western rather than ex soviet country tourists?

image hosted on flickr

P5152996 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P5152998 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM   #173
cardiff

Wall of terror, gave a good account of the Nazis rise to power and their crimes and ethos. Suprisingly, despite the UK's preocupation with WW2, i knew little of what the Nazis stood for, rather what they did. The soviet souvenires and sites like this all added to Berlin being completely tied up with the last 100 years (not that it should be forgotten

image hosted on flickr

P5152999 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Cool

image hosted on flickr

P5153000 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr

Had to be seen! though completely underwhelming, not as underwhelmingas the 'manequin piss' in Brussels though

image hosted on flickr

P5153001 by stephenanstiss, on Flickr
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #174
thun

Quote:
The soviet souvenires and sites like this all added to Berlin being completely tied up with the last 100 years (not that it should be forgotten)
Firstly, that's what most people associate Berlin with. And these are the most important historical episodes for what Germany is nowadays without any doubt.
Secondly, unlike other metropolises, Berlin basically was forests and sand 300 years ago (I'm exaggerating a little bit here), so it's actually a city with a comparatively short history for both German and European standards.
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM   #175
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

the city is great ... lots of space left... u got the feeling that Berlin is the next big thing in Europe being there last week. tiny detail about Germans people... outgoing for sure but so not keen for speaking english ... it struck me but anyway Berlin is great.
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #176
cardiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Firstly, that's what most people associate Berlin with. And these are the most important historical episodes for what Germany is nowadays without any doubt.
Secondly, unlike other metropolises, Berlin basically was forests and sand 300 years ago (I'm exaggerating a little bit here), so it's actually a city with a comparatively short history for both German and European standards.
Its history as capital of Prussia is also important. Other German cities that were equally as destroyed by war didnt dwell on it as much, though i suppose they have had longer to rebuild and move on, and focussed more on their histories as capitals of their respected states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristof View Post
the city is great ... lots of space left... u got the feeling that Berlin is the next big thing in Europe being there last week. tiny detail about Germans people... outgoing for sure but so not keen for speaking english ... it struck me but anyway Berlin is great.
It has as much potential as any other European capital from what i could see, and is a great city. Really surprised you found the Germans reluctant to speak English, i completely found the oposit, using only a few words in German, such as hello, goodbye, thank you, please, and then switching to English, the Germans were surprisingly easy to talk to. i never once had any problems comunicating and outside literally a couple of words, i speak no German. In fact I was wondering how Germans felt about English encroching into their lives, as everywhere i went i heared English being spoken, it almost seemed as if war had forced an alien culture into German culture? not sure if ive worded that correctly but something didnt feel right.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM   #179
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Freidrich strab
Interesting what you made of the famous Friedrichstraße

About the language issue: well I can assure you german is still widely spoken in germany, gladly.

However, indeed many people are concernced about the amount of english influence.

For instance, it is common to find an english (..sounding) name for new products (I guess marketing-guys think it sounds cooler..). Although its quite nonsense sometimes..

--

However, good work on the photos, as always
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #180
cardiff

Thanks, its wasnt that i didnt hear German spoken, just that English was more widely spoken than i have heared in almost every other country ive been to where their native language isnt English. I wondered if this was a consequence of wwii, seperation and occupation, or just merely that Germany was comfortable with having both languages and not as staunchly resilient as say the French (or to a greater degree the Welsh where i am from)?