daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #61
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

If it was intended to be kept secret, they wouldn't have posted it on their website. That it was removed suggests that perhaps it's no longer the design.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #62
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5302

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vertical_Gotham, desertpunk liked this post
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #63
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Anyone know if they plan to keep that existing retail base or that is all going to get razed?
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #64
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

The whole area is disgusting, desolate... no greenery and awful architecture.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #65
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The whole area is disgusting, desolate... no greenery and awful architecture.
That's presently true, but it will change dramatically.
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #66
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That's presently true, but it will change dramatically.
Outstanding!
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #67
Vertical_Gotham

Yea that area is a dump big time especially it's right in front of the Lincoln tunnel. Definitely with these twins, Atelier 2 and the phase 2 b of the Hudson Boulevard will definitely make that hurtin of an area better. Rome wasn't built in a day but things will start getting better here that's for sure.

Here's a map I made a while ago with identified development sites that will eventually improve this dreaded area.

Hopefully they can build a platform over the Lincoln tunnel entrance between 39th and 40th street in the future and potentially build towers over it.

citybooster, Eric Offereins liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #68
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

I was just going to wonder aloud (or internet-aloud, whatever) whether capping the tunnel entrance was a possibility. Some of the most exciting projects out here in LA are the possibility of building cap parks over a number of freeway trenches. It would certainly help the walkability of the neighborhood.

Also, thanks for putting that map together! Just curious, what's the color key -- Blue, Yellow, Black, Beige?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #69
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I've wanted to see the tunnel entrance capped too, but I'd like to see a park there.

citybooster liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #70
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Or the leaked got plugged...
Leak got plugged after YIMBY posted. They e-mailed me asking the images be removed. I would guess they are the real renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
If it was intended to be kept secret, they wouldn't have posted it on their website. That it was removed suggests that perhaps it's no longer the design.
It only takes one errant intern to put something up that isn't supposed to go up. You would be surprised at how often it happens. Developers like to control the entire PR process as well which is probably why they came down on VH's end.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

citybooster, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #71
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I was just going to wonder aloud (or internet-aloud, whatever) whether capping the tunnel entrance was a possibility. Some of the most exciting projects out here in LA are the possibility of building cap parks over a number of freeway trenches. It would certainly help the walkability of the neighborhood. Also, thanks for putting that map together! Just curious, what's the color key -- Blue, Yellow, Black, Beige?
Yea I agree with u guys, a park over the cap would be great. The walkability factor definitely needs to be upped here, lol

Color Key:
Blue - Predominantly Commercial w/ mixed use development
Yellow -Predominantly Residential w/ mixed use development
Black - good buildings
Beige - old crappy buildings for possible razing for future development
Grey - Parking lots for potential development

:Cheers:

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; March 18th, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #72
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

We still don't know what will be built but it could be taller than expected, and the Nimbys are already out against it.

Neighbors: Silverstein's West Side Mystery Project Is Too Tall
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...s_too_tall.php
Quote:
Neighbors want active developer Silverstein Properties to tone down the height of its Mercedes Benz dealership-replacing development, planned for the far West Side. This opinion on 520 West 41st Street—known in the past as 514 Eleventh Avenue—quietly gained traction last week at a Community Board 4 meeting of the Hell's Kitchen Land Use Committee, which resulted in a draft letter (warning: PDF, pages 5-6) to the Department of City Planning requesting that the project's pre-application height of 1,100 feet get chopped down. The letter also emphasizes that that the 20 percent affordable housing the project may contain "must be evenly distributed in location and type throughout the building and contain an equal level of apartment finish and equal and affordable access to all building amenities."
Despite the committee's reservations, a tall tower would not stick out like a sore thumb in the area. The development would neighbor Silverstein's 60-story Silver Towers on 42nd Street and 41-story building at One River Place on the other side of Eleventh Avenue. There's also Moinian's Atelier 2 rental project along those at Extell's 52-story 574 Tenth Avenue. With the Hudson Yards and Manhattan West developments underway, Silverstein's Lincoln Tunnel entrance-area buildings add even more fuel to the West Side's high-rise fire.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #73
Vertical_Gotham

1,100 ft?? Wow. Better than I thought. I was happy with 750' X 2. lol

Ultimately, maybe that is what we will very well end up with. I will say this.. If Silverstein uses Deblasio's formula with affordable housing, this tower may end up even taller than 1,100ft + and De B would have no qualms about it just as long as he reaches his affordable housing goal.

citybooster liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #74
Vertical_Gotham

Here's the document. Their complaint is that 1,100' tower will look out of context, but once developments in the boulevard eventually takes shape, it will no longer look so out of context imo.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb4/downl...s%20Packet.pdf

I'll take a single 1,100ft tower than Two 750' towers any day of the week.

iamtheSTIG, citybooster liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #75
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4479

Could anyone do a quick edit of putting a 1,100ft tall massing model on this site so that we can get a sense of what the scale would be?

Sounds fantastic though! would be great if this does happen!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #76
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

1100 ft is probably the maximum allowance like 215 west 57th being denoted as 1550 ft. Right now it depends on what Silverstein wants to build. He could build two sizeable towers or what could probably be a single supertall. The twins would help increase the visual density of the area but a supertall would be a nice entrance so to speak for the Hudson yards.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #77
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I thought the NIMBYs were not a factor in this area.... they're telling Silverstein what to build, then if he wants he can come in at 1,100 ft or so. He's spending the money... all they do is squwk and nag. I really dislike them for the most part... if were all up to Nimby's NOTHING bold or game changing would ever get built. Hopefully Mayor de Blasio is the secret weapon to getting this done........... his support for height as a remedy to deal with density if he puts his stamp of approval on it can go a long way. Of course with the added affordability component which is his biggest thing.. hopefully he can stand down the NIMBYs who want everything but don't want to concede anything.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #78
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I've said all along those worries about Deblasio were unfounded, in fact he's gonna be a boon for us architecture and skyscraper enthusiasts cause he needs the city to build denser in order to achieve his affordable housing goals, and he's made it clear this is one of his main priorities. He also made it clear that he would go against Nimbys who would oppose such projects so I'm not worried a bit about them, even less so than in the Bloomberg era to be honest.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #79
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Is anyone actually going to listen to those idiots? Do they really have any actual say?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #80
Vertical_Gotham

I vote that this proposal should be moved to the supertall section based on Silverstein's latest proposal with the Dept of Planning:

New York | 514 11th Ave. | 1,100 ft | 60 fl ? | Prop

It’s obviously clear Silverstein change of heart is to take advantage of Bill D B’s affordable housing plan thus the proposal to build a 1,100’ supertall tower.

I would also assume the cost of building 1 supertall is less than or comparable than building two 700 + footers. This will obviously have a huge HUGE retail base.

As far as the Nimby's

The reason you are hearing some Nimby’s concern here is because this section of the area, there are obviously more people living there as compared to the Hudson Yards and Boulevard zone. I think as far as Related, if there are noises from Nimby’s it’s because its from the people living at the OHM building at 30th Street. Brookfield project hear noise mainly from a school with dorms nearby.

I completely agree with Ghostface’s post above, as I would not be worried about those Nimby’s complaining about the proposed height of this tower. Bill D B is intent to meet his affordable housing goals and ya better believe it…. nothing will get in his way to achieve it. Affordable housing with Density is his legacy that he will be building here for his administration.

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Tags
514 11th ave., 520 w. 41st st., new york, nyc, silverstein