daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #121
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks good! Hopefully there is a sleek cladding as well.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #122
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I too hope (and suspect) that that's a massing model, but I do like the proportions. It's not too bulky, nor too thin.
Yea me too but whatever!!! In this section of town, I would seriously take it even if this is more or less what we are going to get. I just hope the cladding will be nice and I’m sure it will, especially if Mr. Wanda is in fact involved. Past reports mentioned he is looking for a developer to partner up with to construct a $1B + Hotel/ Condo development. If that is the case, Mr. Wanda has the funds to start this project rapidamente!

This tower will be a perfect bookend to the Supertall towers in the south end of Hudson Boulevard and keep in mind that this tower will not stick out like a sore thumb because there will be ~700-900’ towers rising along the boulevard to the south.

It looks like Silverstein is going with 520 West 41st Street as the official address for this 1.7 gsf project.

While this is an As-Of-Right development, I was curious as to why a public hearing was even necessary other than at the request of some residents within the vicinity worried about the height.

A public hearing is scheduled for tomorrow, June 31st and the public scoping document revealed which was surprising to me at least the following:

Quote:
The Special Hudson Yards District was created in 2005, and at the time it was envisioned that the project site, located near the then planned Intermediate Station for the No. 7 subway line at 41st Street and Tenth Avenue, would be redeveloped with a large office building. Since that time, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) put the plan to build the Intermediate Station on hold indefinitely due to a lack of funding.

The applicant believes that the project site is unsuitable for large scale office development as was originally contemplated in 2005 and more suitable for a predominantly residential development.

The applicant anticipates that construction of the proposed development would start in early 2017 with construction occurring over an approximately threeyear period with all components complete and fully operational by the year 2020.

I’m a bit surprised as I had always thought the plan of this site was mostly residential.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #123
DannyR2713
another Registered User

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Mind having the Hudson Yards and surroundings proposals to that to see how it will look with the whole of that strip?
Ok i will see what I can do

citybooster, iamtheSTIG liked this post
DannyR2713 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:20 AM   #124
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Awesome. Another supertall but 335 meter seems pretty low to me for 100 floors. Compare this to 432 Park for example.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:22 AM   #125
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Floor count doesn't mean anything, especially with how most developers market the tower, manipulating the floor count.
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:23 AM   #126
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

that's true
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:21 AM   #127
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

June 31ST???????????? That's gotta be wrong, since June NEVER has 31 days, lol!

Why a public meeting anyway? The office component is rather small, and there's a huge retail component of 300,000 square ft. With all this are they still going with the 2017 starting date or will actual groundbreaking/ construction now be in a position to start up much sooner? And the Wanda interest....... hmmmmmmmmm wonder where that goes.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:37 AM   #128
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
June 31ST???????????? That's gotta be wrong, since June NEVER has 31 days, lol! Why a public meeting anyway? The office component is rather small, and there's a huge retail component of 300,000 square ft. With all this are they still going with the 2017 starting date or will actual groundbreaking/ construction now be in a position to start up much sooner? And the Wanda interest....... hmmmmmmmmm wonder where that goes.
That's embarrassing! It's July 31st so my bad!! Lol

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...ing_notice.pdf

Btw, this proposal could have up to 1,400 units which I believe would makes this the largest apt tower in NYC if this would be all apartments! Too lazy to check but TF Cornerstone has 1,200 units planned I believe.

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 1st, 2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:42 AM   #129
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Floor count doesn't mean anything, especially with how most developers market the tower, manipulating the floor count.
Doing more affordable housing means more floors than all-luxury towers. Silverstein likes cladding that conceals as much as it reveals so perhaps his cladding here will conceal a tower with 9 ft. ceilings below and double-height ceilings in the uppermost floors.

citybooster liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM   #130
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

I'm afraid of the "public hearing". I predict the building being cut down to 800 feet. Hahaha... (I hope not.)
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM   #131
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

They can still build what they want if plot is already as of right to build whatever height they want..... just hope the public meeting is simply a courtesy since the NIMBYs are NEVER satisfied. The office component they were complaining about will be quite small now so the haters can buzz off. If they are able to get a positive reaction from the board when can they start.. hopefully not 2017 but much sooner.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:34 PM   #132
Vertical_Gotham

Revealed: 520 West 41st Street
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/07/reve...-street.html/1

Quote:
Preliminary renderings are up for Silverstein’s 520 West 41st Street via the project’s draft Environmental Impact Statement, which affirm the building’s status as one of the largest in Manhattan, given it will stand 1,100 feet tall. More impressive is the actual floor-count of approximately 106, which will surpass all other skyscrapers on the island.

The development’s scope is going to be a game-changer for the far West Side, and the massive injection of new retail space — totaling 300,000 square feet, if current plans are approved — would be a catalyst for walkability. The EIS notes that 520 West 41st Street will also include 175,000 square feet for corporate apartments, as well as 1.14 million square feet of residential space — split between 1,400 apartments — for a gross of 1.685 million square feet.

While the height of 520 West 41st Street will be impressive, the most notable aspect of the tower is its sheer size, which also presents a turning point New York development has long needed: as ‘supertall’ technology continues to advance, buildings of 1,000′+ will no longer be restricted to the uber-rich. This means that mass-market towers that cater to all demographics are on the near-horizon, yielding new opportunities for satiating demand, and constructing supply where it is most needed.

Indeed, 520 West 41st Street will have more units than the combined total of every other residential supertall either proposed or under construction in New York City. Even the project’s affordable component — which will total approximately 280 apartments — will have more units than projects like 432 Park Avenue and 217 West 57th Street.
While all-super-luxe skyscrapers are not a bad thing, the scope of Silverstein’s tower proves that 1,000′+ buildings can help solve the affordability crisis.

With approximately 106 levels, the ‘floor-count’ at 520 West 41st Street will be unprecedented amongst residential towers in the United States. The development will also have the most apartments of any building in New York City. Alternate visions for the site presented attractive and forward-thinking possibilities, but the EIS scoping documents push the kind of density and verticality that Manhattan sorely needs....(read more in link)

Old July 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM   #133
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I hope this is just some pre model.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:42 PM   #134
GiacomoPuccini
Milano & Peking

Likes (Received): 117

It was confirmed that this is not the design. I think that something amazing will rise here!
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:00 PM   #135
Vertical_Gotham

Thats good to hear and expected at this stage of the ball game. I too hope something amazing design wise will be planned here plus this puppy could still have a crown which will make this even taller.

Old July 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM   #136
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

If this appears to be just a massing model, i really hope they won't go too "fancy shapy" with the eventual design. When all towers try to stand out none will. A plain, well proportioned quality cladded tower like the one shown here would do quite well given its context i think...
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM   #137
GiacomoPuccini
Milano & Peking

Likes (Received): 117

The documents submitted by the developer state that this is not the design and just depicts the height.

Last edited by GiacomoPuccini; July 1st, 2014 at 03:33 PM.
GiacomoPuccini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:35 PM   #138
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb.nl View Post
If this appears to be just a massing model, i really hope they won't go too "fancy shapy" with the eventual design. When all towers try to stand out none will. A plain, well proportioned quality cladded tower like the one shown here would do quite well given its context i think...
Definitely! I shudder at the thought of another tower the majority of this forum considers "amazing".

Keep it simple! Not another haphazardly designed "landmark".
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM   #139
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Curbed article reveals some skepticism about the final plans for this beast: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._west_side.php

Quote:
If the plans are approved as is—and they might not be since the community wants it to be smaller—it would be one of the largest new developments in the city. YIMBY notes that it would have more apartments than every other supertall tower combined.
Traffic aside, if residents are concerned about leering shadows, I would think the one tower concept is a far better solution than a twin-towered 750 ft streetwall.

Kanto liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:17 PM   #140
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm still hoping for the Oppenheim design but I doubt it will happen.

KillerZavatar, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
514 11th ave., 520 w. 41st st., new york, nyc, silverstein