daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:34 PM   #141
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Curbed article reveals some skepticism about the final plans for this beast: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._west_side.php

Traffic aside, if residents are concerned about leering shadows, I would think the one tower concept is a far better solution than a twin-towered 750 ft streetwall.
It's an as-of-right tower, the community board can't kill it and De Blasio won't kill it because of the amount of affordable housing it's promising. The board can however voice their concerns so that they might be taken into consideration when a more final version of this tower is designed and because it's the polite thing to do, even though NIMBYs are anything but polite most of the time.

citybooster liked this post
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #142
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

NYC's largest residential skyscraper proposed for West Side
http://www.amny.com/news/developers-...side-1.8632270

Quote:
A skyscraper proposed for the revamped west side would be the largest residential tower this city's every seen if it gets the go-ahead.

Silverstein Properties, the developer behind the new World Trade Center, introduced early plans to the Department of City Planning last week to build an 1,100-foot mixed skyscraper between 41st and 40th Streets and 10th and 11th Avenues.

If approved, the 520 West 41st St. project, which is awaiting approval from the city's Department of Planning for a public review process, will be the fourth largest building in the city and the largest residential tower
Quote:
Robert Benfatto, the district manager for Manhattan's Community Board 4, which oversees the area, said the neighborhood is generally excited about the energy the skyscraper would bring to the area, which is already being reshaped by the Hudson Yards development further south.

"We like the fact that it will be developed because now that space is just an empty lot," he said.
Quote:
Benfatto said the board looked over the draft a few weeks ago and some members had concerns about the height of the building but overall liked the current scope of work.

"We hope that it fits in with the area and the retail is beneficial not only for the people visiting but also those who live in the area," he said.

Andrew Dolkart, a professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture, agreed.

Dolkart, who is a staunch opponent to One57 and the other skyscrapers that are being constructed in midtown due to the massive shadows they cast on the neighborhood, said the West Side is the perfect place for such tall structures such as the skyscrapers under construction at the main Hudson Yards site at 34th Street and 11th Avenue.

"It is a relatively undeveloped area," he said. "The idea of Hudson Yards was to create a dense tall urban neighborhood."

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

iamtheSTIG, Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #143
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28352

It will have to be a lot taller than 335m to be the tallest residential.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM   #144
crusaderpat

Likes (Received): 24

Largest =/= tallest. Largest may be in terms of square footage.

iamtheSTIG, Kanto liked this post
crusaderpat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #145
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

That's exactly right. Because of the lower ceiling heights, this building will have 106 actual floors (go to the diagram on the previous page and start counting), totaling 1.14MM sf of residential space, far more than even significantly taller towers like 432 Park or 111 W. 57th will have.

citybooster, iamtheSTIG liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #146
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4544

Some of the largest buildings in the world are only a few floors high!
But it'll be good to have a supertall luxury residential tower with some 'bulk' to an extent (judging from the massing models)
This will be one of the buildings which will give a flowing transition from the Hudson Yards to Midtown from a skyline point of view, rather than the Hudson Yards being cut off as such

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Kanto, citybooster liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:28 PM   #147
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
But it'll be good to have a supertall luxury residential tower with some 'bulk' to an extent (judging from the massing models)
Well I think the point is, it's not actually going to be a luxury tower, at least not primarily. Hence the low ceiling heights and all those units. A lot of it will be affordable housing, but even the market rate units won't be targeted at the top-of-market buyers.

I find it refreshing that developers feel they can build supertalls for tenants other than the super-rich, and I believe that's part of the reason CB4 District Manager Benfatto is so supportive. I also agree with his sentiment that the retail should not be strictly ultra-luxury brands; rather, the kind of stores that the mere mortals living in the tower will shop at -- but I do think that may prove contentious, if the rest of the shopping along Hudson Blvd. is as high end as it appears it will be.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #148
GiacomoPuccini
Milano & Peking

Likes (Received): 117

I am confident that this tower will prompt Related to increase the E Tower's height.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:02 AM   #149
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

that would be the way to go if I'm related.

You know I was speculating that Mr. Wanda is behind this, now I'm positive this is not the project he would be throwing $1B + for. He wants to build Hotel/Condo and there is no indication there will be any element of a hotel. When that article was written, there was talk of Mr. Wanda acquiring interest with the Four Seasons brand if I remembered correctly, so that would have been 30 Park Lace. Anyway, that is good news in my book cuz that means there may be another tower in the works that we are not privy to...yet!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM   #150
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

There was the teaser from Mr YIMBY himself about something really exciting coming up and I'm waiting anxiously along with everyone here on what it is. I love this tower, and it seems even some tough people to get on board now seem to have a much more favorable disposition towards the project. I'm happy it's a supertall that even people of more moderate means can actually have an opportunity to live... not just a sky palace for the very highest of the 1 %.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #151
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Well I think the point is, it's not actually going to be a luxury tower, at least not primarily. Hence the low ceiling heights and all those units. A lot of it will be affordable housing, but even the market rate units won't be targeted at the top-of-market buyers.

I find it refreshing that developers feel they can build supertalls for tenants other than the super-rich, and I believe that's part of the reason CB4 District Manager Benfatto is so supportive. I also agree with his sentiment that the retail should not be strictly ultra-luxury brands; rather, the kind of stores that the mere mortals living in the tower will shop at -- but I do think that may prove contentious, if the rest of the shopping along Hudson Blvd. is as high end as it appears it will be.
I agree with that. This tower will be filled with people rather than the superluxoury towers, where the owners only come in occasionally.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #152
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Silverstein zoning in on zoning change for West Side tower

Quote:
Larry Silverstein wants to pack lucrative residential space into his recently revealed 106-story West Side tower, but he’ll need the city to change the zoning rules in order to do so.

Current zoning only allows for about half of the residential space Silverstein wants to include at 520 West 41st Street, Crain’s reported. The building is located within the Hudson Yard Special District, where rules stipulate that buildings should primarily provide commercial space.

Silverstein is arguing that this particular plot has more in common with the residential blocks just north in Hell’s Kitchen, in part because the Lincoln Tunnel outbound approach cuts it off from the rest of Hudson Yards, according to a Silverstein Development document cited by Crain’s.

The company also points to the glut of high-density buildings in the area, arguing that 520 West 41st will be difficult to fully develop without including more residential units, Crain’s reported.

Kanto liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:17 PM   #153
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

height increase does not make up for the loss of that amazing design. at least this tower has really good proportions and looks a lot better than these skinny towers getting proposed for the city. Hudson Yards really does make the best skyline in New York, very modern glass tower designs that play along with each other really nicely, this new design fits well inside, although it is much inferior to the previous awesome design that we saw, but i guess it was too good to be true. I much prefer these simple designs though than the skinny towers that all try to be unique near central park.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM   #154
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
height increase does not make up for the loss of that amazing design. at least this tower has really good proportions and looks a lot better than these skinny towers getting proposed for the city. Hudson Yards really does make the best skyline in New York, very modern glass tower designs that play along with each other really nicely, this new design fits well inside, although it is much inferior to the previous awesome design that we saw, but i guess it was too good to be true. I much prefer these simple designs though than the skinny towers that all try to be unique near central park.
Its a massing model so it will for sure look different
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #155
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

The West Side promises to have a ginormous skyline rivaling HK's Victoria Island soon. If Hudson Spire is in the 500m range, it will be ridiculous.

citybooster, rencharles liked this post
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #156
korea2002

Likes (Received): 1269

Requests

modfication : from 100 to 106 floor!!

source

맨해튼에 106층 초고층 주상복합

맨해튼에 전국에서 가장 높은 주상복합빌딩이 들어선다. 전국 최고층 아파트가 될 신축 빌딩(520 W 41스트릿·조감도)은 106층 규모에 높이는 1100피트에 육박한다. 이는 같은 개발사에서 추진한 맨해튼 최고층 빌딩 월드트레이드센터(WTC)보다 높이는 낮지만 층수는 2층 더 많다. 뉴욕시 전체로는 4번째로 높은 빌딩이 될 전망이다. 아파트 내 총 가구는 약 1400개에 이를 것으로 알려졌으며 그 중 208가구는 서민아파트로 분양한다. 또 17만5000스퀘어피트의 사무실과 함께 30만 스퀘어피트의 상업용 공간도 포함된다. 빌딩국(DOB)의 허가가 나면 건축은 오는 2017년 시작돼 2020년 완공될 예정이다. -
korea2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #157
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Where's the source? All you wrote was 'source'...

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #158
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Post 152

Eric Offereins liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #159
Eric Offereins
The only way is up