SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Go North East Bus Depot | Gateshead | 2fl | Completed

40K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 ·
Go North East are looking to move to a new £7.7 million bus depot at Handy Drive, Metro Reiverside, Gateshead, replacing the 2 existing depots at Winlaton and Sunderland Road, Gateshead & hopes for early 2012 start on new development

See scanned copy of article from Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 30/11/11

The Gateshead Depot was built pre 1896 to serve the tramway system, see following extract of 1896 OS Map and has kept same location since that time

and looks like this ( pictures taken in recent weeks)

This depot is in the area that Gateshead Council wishes to clear as part of its long term plans - along with adjacent Chandless Estate Multi Storey Flat & maisonettes and 3 blocks of Tynegate Office Precinct

KEN

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems a shame after all this time that there will no longer be a transport depot at the end of Sunderland Road but I guess there was no chance of Go Ahead Northern or whatever name they go under this week being allowed to redevelop the site even if they wanted to. The timing is a bit off though as Thornfield Developments tried for years to redevelop the site including the waste land and football pitch next door into a retail area, bad timing because Thornfield apparently went bust last year. Like buses, however, there will always be another developer along shortly but will the Council allow competition for Tesco City?

#3 ·
Further to 'Post 424' (above) from Ken O'Heed . . .

Plans for new Go North East depot are submitted
The Journal, December 2nd 2011

PLANS to develop a new £7.7m transport depot for one of the North East’s largest plcs – which will secure 559 jobs in the process – have been submitted to local authorities.

UK Land Estates has submitted a planning application for a new bus depot and ancillary support building for Go North East, part of Go Ahead Group.

Go North East is to relocate its two existing facilities in Winlaton and Sunderland Road, into the new purpose-built development at Handy Drive, Metro Riverside in Gateshead.

Work will begin on the new depot, which will cover 2.38 hectares, in summer 2012, with occupation by Go North East likely by summer the following year.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...orth-east-depot-are-submitted-51140-29880523/

#4 ·
Further to 'Post 424' (above) from Ken O'Heed . . .

Plans for new Go North East depot are submitted
The Journal, December 2nd 2011

PLANS to develop a new £7.7m transport depot for one of the North East’s largest plcs – which will secure 559 jobs in the process – have been submitted to local authorities.

UK Land Estates has submitted a planning application for a new bus depot and ancillary support building for Go North East, part of Go Ahead Group.

Go North East is to relocate its two existing facilities in Winlaton and Sunderland Road, into the new purpose-built development at Handy Drive, Metro Riverside in Gateshead.

Work will begin on the new depot, which will cover 2.38 hectares, in summer 2012, with occupation by Go North East likely by summer the following year.
Interesting to see that in the latest piece there is no mention of the additional 550 jobs that the development would bring - now just the line - secure 559 jobs ?

Must say that I did raise an eyebrow at the quote of a doubling of the work force :eek:hno:

#5 ·
disappointing for Winlaton! the bus depot is a big employer in the village, and the drivers do a good job of supporting the local pubs. My big fear though is that this will see a gradual decline in the number of routes serving Winlaton and western gateshead - it's not like buses will be able to start picking up as soon as they leave the depot, but will have a good 15 or 20 min drive to the start of the route.

#9 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston , Gateshead - Planning Approval

Follow up to post #424 of 30/11/11, namely

Go North East are looking to move to a new £7.7 million bus depot at Handy Drive, Metro Reiverside, Gateshead, replacing the 2 existing depots at Winlaton and Sunderland Road, Gateshead & hopes for early 2012 start on new development

The scheme has just appeared 10/05/12 as http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=LVHF8BHK3Y000 on Gateshead Planning Portal as "Approved"

DC/11/01368/FUL

Erection of bus depot with ancillary facilities including sub-station, parking, DSA testing area, highway access and site preparation works with hard and soft landscaping (amended 12.12.11, 8.02.12, 9.02.12, 16.02.12,16.03.12 and 3.5.12).

Land At Mandela Way/Handy Drive Whickham Gateshead Tyne And Wear
( this being the site of demolished Dunston Power Station)

Below are 2 screen prints ( hosted on Photobucket) from the Planning Application documentation showing

Plan

Elevations & Sections

KEN

NH - due to its size £7.7m perhaps a separate thread

#11 ·
Follow up to post #424 of 30/11/11, namely

NH - due to its size £7.7m perhaps a separate thread

Ken, just spotted the above - seems a good idea.

#12 ·
Go North East bus depot build will create 170 jobs
by Ruth Lognonne, The Journal, May 30th 2012

CONSTRUCTION on a new £7.7m bus depot in Gateshead is set to begin this summer with the potential to create 170 building jobs on site. Planning permission has been granted for the new purpose-built depot for Go North East, the area’s largest bus company, which will relocate from its existing facilities in Winlaton and Sunderland Road, Gateshead, into the development at Handy Drive, on Metro Riverside.

The new facility will secure 559 jobs in Gateshead with the potential to provide many more with expansion. A further potential 170 jobs will be provided during construction of the depot. The new depot will also allow the bus operator to increase operations in the future and improve day-to-day operational efficiency.

Managing director Kevin Carr said: “Our other two depots in Gateshead are quite old. One of them is a former tram depot that was built in the 1950s and between them they are not up to the standards of a modern-day bus depot. This new development will be able to house 175 buses making it one of the company’s largest depots."

“It will last the next 40 years and will secure the jobs of all our employees currently at our two other depots for the foreseeable future."

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...ot-build-will-create-170-jobs-51140-31070465/

#14 ·
I am sorry I rarely venture south of the river, but I was puzzled by the statement that this somehow involves "a former tram depot built in the 1950s" when the Gateshead trams stopped running in 1951. Is this the actual former Gateshead Sunderland Road depot or a building on its site? Is there any track visible?

#15 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work commenced, as at 14/02/13

Thanks to the recent tip off on Gateshead Developments thread that work has started on site

These pictures by myself 14/02/13 approx 1145 showing lot of excavation work being carried out by sub contractor Owen Pugh and others on behalf of main contractor Surgo, on site area adjacent to Costco, north of main Metrocentre building

Crushing equipment arriving

Hope perimeter fence remains as it is and does not become solid type as currently enables good photo access

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

#17 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work commenced, as at 21/03/13

Nearly 5 weeks since post #15 these pictures by myself 21/03/13 approx 1115 show excavation and "construction" work being carried out by sub contractor to south end of site whilst Owen Pugh and others on behalf of main contractor Surgo continue with "site preparation" to north end of site

Site clearance

South end of site

Like everywhere else being affected by wet weather

Hope mesh fences stay as make easy photographing of progress

KEN

#18 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 05/04/13

Nearly 2 weeks since post #17 these pictures by myself 05/04/13 approx 1115 - 1130 show excavation and "construction" work being carried out to south end of site whilst "site preparation" work by Owen Pugh and others on behalf of main contractor Surgo seems complete to north end of site

Riding on the bus from Blaydon to Eldon Square via Newcastle Business Park I noticed that there is a great vantage point to view this site at west end of William Armstrong Drive near to its junction with Scotswood Rd - pictures anyone from this viewpoint

KEN

#20 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 11/04/13

Nearly a week on since post #18 these pictures by myself Thursday 11/04/13 approx 1115 - 1130 show work being carried on behalf of main contractor Surgo

As stated in post #18, I spotted a view point north of the Tyne looking south onto site area, so these pictures taken by myself as viewed from points north side of the Tyne, from west end of Newcastle Business Park just above riverbank footpaths and on wander up the hill to Benwell, looking over the Costco building and with Federation Brewery demolition in the background (covered on separate thread)

(images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#21 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 16/04/13

5 days since last post showing the site from north of the river these pictures around site perimeter by myself on a very windy Tuesday 16/04/13 approx 1115 - 1130 show ongoing work being carried out to site area including erection of steel frame (images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#23 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 03/05/13 (Part 1 of 2)

Over 2 weeks since my last post showing the site these pictures (over 2 posts) taken around site perimeter by myself on Friday 03/05/13 approx 1230 - 1245 show ongoing work being carried out to site area including continued erection of steel frame, precast concrete stairs etc and installation of sheet roofing (images hosted on Photobucket)

More on following post

KEN

#24 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 03/05/13 (Part 2 of 2)

Part 2 of 2

Over 2 weeks since my last post showing the site these pictures (over 2 posts) taken around site perimeter by myself on Friday 03/05/13 approx 1230 - 1245 show ongoing work being carried out to site area including continued erection of steel frame, precast concrete stairs etc and installation of sheet roofing (images hosted on Photobucket)

Some pictures "close up"

And this one - the view from Windmill Hills area of Gateshead (near St Cuthberts Court) taken on a long lens 27/04/13, and enlarged

KEN

#28 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 04/05/13

Another picture by myself - the view from Windmill Hills area of Gateshead (near St Cuthberts Court) again, taken on a long lens 04/05/13 and in a better light than that of 27/04/13, and enlarged (image hosted on Photobucket)

With roof sheeting on the building is more defined than shown in picture in post of 03/05/13

KEN

#29 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 05/06/13

Just over 4 weeks since my last post showing the site close up, these pictures taken around site perimeter by myself on Wednesday 05/06/13 approx 1115 - 1130 show ongoing work being carried out to site area including continued erection of steel frame, precast concrete stairs etc, installation of sheet roofing and internal block walling (images hosted on Photobucket)

Has been a recent Planning Application for changes to the scheme which were Granted:-

DC/13/00499/NMA

Proposed non-material amendment of application DC/11/01368/FUL to allow reduced number of bus fleet bays; re-alignment of perimeter road and increased amount of soft landscaping; omission of smoking shelter and northern entrance footpath; footway/cycleway adjacent to wetland area retained; amendments to bus depot office window sizes and cladding module distribution; gutter detail to workshop and wash bay simplified; change to colour/finish of sectional overhead bay doors, location of rooflights, layout of plant area to rear and relocation of external air-con plant. (amended 24/05/13 and 29/05/13)

Land At Mandela Way/Handy Drive Whickham

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MLT74LHK07K00

KEN

#33 ·
New Gateshead Bus Depot, Metro Riverside, Dunston, Gateshead - Work in progress, as at 25/06/13

Approx 3 weeks since my last post showing the site close up, these pictures taken around site perimeter by myself on Tuesday 25/06/13 approx 1045 show ongoing work being carried out to site area including erection of cladding to steel frame, precast concrete stairs etc, installation of sheet roofing and internal block walling etc (images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN