daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

hkskyline's 2011 SALZBURG Photo Collection

I'm not a Sound of Music fan. In fact, I've never seen the film before. My decision to visit Salzburg was very practical. Munich was among the cheapest places in Europe where I could fly from Asia, and Salzburg was a logical choice, being only 90 minutes away from the airport. With this view, I truly had no regrets.

The clouds cleared up a little bit and the sun shone at Mirabellgarten, a serene park edged between the train station and the riverside.

The leafy southern exit leads to Makartplatz.

The river bends around Salzburg, and hills on both sides give a pretty backdrop to the city.

Streams of tourists were already entering the old town. The various merchants were ready to do some business!

Museum der Moderne Monchsberg is perched above the city, and offers a lovely view of the town. Strangely, the throngs of tourists that were crossing the river did not realize this spot.

Back on ground level, Salzburg's old town is small and walkable.

Various municipal facilities are hidden away in the geography. This facade looks interesting, and unexpectedly, a parking lot entrance lies inside.

The equine fountain's use has changed today, but is nevertheless a pretty sight.

For more, check out my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/salzburg01.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

I didn´t know it was so nice...
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244761

Salzburg its indeed a very nice, great city
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:47 AM   #4
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

great pics, I think Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities on earth. Amazing historic architecture combined with amazing scenery is a winner.
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:35 AM   #5
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Salzburg is great. I was there last summer and loved it. I also remember the weather changing all the time...
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut ętre absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM   #6
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 445

great city...where are the vonTrapps?
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support. Here's the second part :

The clouds rolled in and an annoying drizzle would soon follow. My first day in Europe on this trip was about to turn for the worse.

Franziskanerkirche's history goes back a thousand years, and hence the structure incorporates a variety of architectural styles.

The catacombs are wedged along the hillside. They're open to the public and are mostly empty these days.

Even the cemeteries are quite green and colourful. Looking at a few memorials, the inhabitants are actually not all historic figures.

Of the several churches in the area, the Dom is the largest. Civic life seems to revolve around it, with a market on one side, and a big square on the other where horse carridges await customers.

It's a large church, but the interior was not particularly impressive.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1223

Great collection of photos!
Glad you liked it.

Vienna Public Transport Thread

Austrian Subforum
stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Filandon

Likes (Received): 1250

To go up the castle through the tunnels and to enjoy history and nature while doing so is a great experience, I've had the opportunity to visit this city and was wonderful. A trully romantic town, thank you for the great pictures
Filandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

thanks for the magnificent photo collection from Salzburg hkskyline ...
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thanks for your comments. Here is the next set :

Without the sun, it was a chilly day to venture about outdoors.

Back before the photography era, panoramas such as this one offered a close glimpse of what the world beyond looks like. This panorama of Salzburg and its surroundings from 1829 is suitably displayed in a circular theatre, where visitors can explore in all four directions.

The Salzburg Museum has an interesting collection, and some intricately-decorated rooms.