daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 133

I've been a fan of the new Olympia plan for years

just wish it had windows
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #22
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 56

I am hoping in the new arena they do what the Lions did and put all the suites on one side.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #23
Битола

Likes (Received): 3

I love downtown Detroit's classic appeal more than anything, but I'd prefer a futuristic one to create some vibrancy. We don't need anymore warehouse-like buildings.
Битола no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #24
krnboy1009

^Meh, I prefer to bring back the memories of detroit Olympia. Good times were had with guys like Howe Sawchuk and Delvecchio.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #25
flashman

Likes (Received): 43

Just love the idea of recreating the look and feel of the old Olympia. Now they need to get some of those sweet, low-hanging corner or end balconies like the old barn had. Or arenas like Boston Garden or Maple Leaf Gardens had.

Just bring over the big purple playoff octopus. Maybe get 'Zamboni Al' Sobotka as curator/vendor of a concourse aquarium. Maybe sell live ones to chuck on the ice come playoff time?

That said, the Joe has served Detroit very well and is packed full of great memories. By no means is it the prettiest arena, but it has a set of great characters who show up regularly and fans who know and love the sport. Post game beer and burgers at the Anchor or partying with the players at the Post. Puck bunnies aplenty. Ohhh, yeah!

Won't miss hearing the alarming scuttle of a horde of rats passing by the VIP-TV truck parking areas close to the building. Nor will anyone miss taking a late, post-game trip into those truly scary parking lots to the southwest. The security teams would usually be gone an hour to 90 mins. after a game, so if you stayed late for whatever reason after a game, there'd be some spooky moments navigating out to your car.
flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #26
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzte View Post
I don't think the Red Wings arena is going to be a $500 million monster, because the Palace will still be 30 miles north and so will the Pistons. The new Red Wings arena will get more concert business, but nearly not all of it. Hopefully the Wings can come up with something nice but on a reasonable budget.

BTW, I drew this up, I hope they are looking at something like this.

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com
jeeze that looks awful ..... ive seen nicer junior hockey rinks in canada. I would just keep the joe.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #27
krnboy1009

Thats not the actual design. It will look nicer but at the same time follow the design of the original Olympia hopefully.
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #28
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Thats not the actual design. It will look nicer but at the same time follow the design of the original Olympia hopefully.
Yeah, I know the actual New Olympia model isn't of architectural quality, but it was the first 3d drawing I ever did. I tinkered with it a long time and taught myself Google Sketchup just to do it. I just wanted people to be able to visualize it in 3d more or less the way I was thinking about it.

This all started when I had a rough 2d sketch of a New Red Wings arena, and someone sent me an old seating plan of the original Olympia Stadium. I basically started over, utilizing that plan. The main seating bowl and balconies are similar but expanded by about 25%, and suites were added both under and above the balcony along the side boards. Original Olympia was six sided to fit in that oddly shapen Grand River block, while this model is a perfect rectangle.

This is the second sketchup I did of a different arena (Seattle Prototype). It turned out quite a bit cleaner, but I just don't have the time to start over on New Olympia; it took a lot of work as it was.

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com
schulzte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #29
will101

Likes (Received): 447

Was I the only one who noticed Tiger Stadium in the overhead shot looking west?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #30
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Was I the only one who noticed Tiger Stadium in the overhead shot looking west?
Nope.
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #31
Pelt

Likes (Received): 10

I hope they go with something like this. Basically a modern take on the old Olympia. I've got more work to do on it and I'll post some interiors when I get a little further along.

Last edited by Pelt; June 11th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Pelt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Pelt

Likes (Received): 10

Here is a shot of the unfinished interior. I used a two point perspective tool in sketchup, which is why it looks stretched, but it helped to show as much of the interior as possible.

Another exterior shot with the textures started and windows put in at the top.

Last edited by Pelt; June 12th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Pelt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #33
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 133

now that's class
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #34
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
now that's class

That looks 100x better then the previous design!
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #35
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
Here is a shot of the unfinished interior. I used a two point perspective tool in sketchup, which is why it looks stretched, but it helped to show as much of the interior as possible.

Another exterior shot with the textures started and windows put in at the top.

I wish my drawing could have been this good, you nailed the exterior!

Last edited by schulzte; June 17th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #36
Lakeland

Likes (Received): 6281

I thought they would wait for JLA to crumble and fall in before making this move. The Wings arena lease deal is one of the best in the NHL. Have to admit though I will not miss waiting in line to piss in a trough.
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #37
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Likes (Received): 28

I agree with Schulzte... that is a nice redesigned rendering (by Pelt) with brickwork and arches. Also the arena orientation would be nicer if it faces East/West, rather than North/South. That open area between the Fox and State/Fillmore Theatres would make a nice plaza with the gable end of the arena facing towards the theatres and Comerica Park 3 blocks to the east.

One of the ironies is that old Olympia Arena was designed by the same Detroit Architect (C. Howard Crane) who designed the Fox and State/Fillmore theatres, as well as Detroit's Symphonic and Opera houses (Orchestra Hall and Detroit Opera House). Later he went on to design London's 1937 Earls Court Convention Center... future site of some 2012 Olympic venues... and the site of many legendary rock concerts as well.

Although Olympia Arena was much loved... the architectural masterpiece of C. Howard Crane was the absurdly opulent 5,174 seat Detroit Fox Theatre... America's largest surviving 1920s movie palace. Someone once labeled it an "Architectural Orgasm". It was seen in the famous 2011 Chrysler Superbowl commercial with Eminem...
Gistok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #38
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3422

Quote:
Ilitches plan downtown development that includes new hockey arena

The Ilitch family, owners of the Detroit Red Wings, said today that they intend to build a new downtown hockey arena as part of a $650 million mixed-use development that would be both publicly and privately financed.

The project will include residential, retail, office facilities and an events center that would cost about $650 million, "which incorporates a significant private investment supplemented by existing dollars currently collected by the (Detroit Downtown Development Authority) supporting economic development and requiring no new taxes."
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...w-hockey-arena
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #39
scraw28

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ed-Wings-arena
scraw28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #40
schulzte

One more improved, cleaned up version for you to see. See more at http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com. Its been updated a lot, and is a pretty cool looking site now.

Tags
detroit, michigan