daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 617

*Official* Euro 2012 Poland/Ukraine Tournament Thread

What an awesome group group B is!!

6 days to go until the opening match of Euro 2012. Let's put our thoughts on the tournament itself in here, not only Ireland btw.

A few friendlies took place today. England beat Belgium (playing very like the way Ireland plays incidentally) by a goal to nil. Meanwhile Croatia, our opening opponents on Sunday 10th of June, drew 1 - 1 with Norway. Holland blitzed an inexperienced Northern Ireland team 6 - 0. I don't think anyone doubts who is going to top their group - Germany, and mad fight for second! Italy seem to be in something of a melt down. Not only were they trashed 3 - 0 by a strong Russia side but also this whole betting scandal thing too. Mind you they had betting scandal in WC 2006 and went on to win the thing

Ireland's group matches are taking place in Poznan and Gdansk. Wonder what the weather will be like incidentally.

We take on Hungary on Monday night in Budapest in another pre tournament friendly which I am not actually impressed with because we don't want any injuries. I think it's a bit dodgy playing a team like Hungary this close to the tournament. But anyway that's what the powers that be in the FAI decided. After the friendly the Republic head for base in Poland to prepare for Croatia. IMO absolutely crucial that we get something from that game.

Enjoy all!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; July 1st, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks for the write up, Odlum. Although I'm more of a rugby man myself, but I'm quite looking forward to this.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3
odlum833

So am I

Group C stadia

Gdansk

Poznan

Apparently Ireland could be the best supported team at the tournament with over 30,000 fans believed to be heading over. Might aswell be home games! That will be great.

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Ptosio

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Apparently Ireland could be the best supported team at the tournament with over 30,000 fans believed to be heading over. Might aswell be home games! That will be great.
Sure it will, remember you are personally invited by the mayor Borat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nlGp45sxHY
Ptosio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
JD47

Likes (Received): 190

I am really looking forward to this whole tournament that I wake up during the night thinking about it. I am like a kid again and this is Christmas. I cant wait. The game I am really looking forward to is Germany and Portugal and then Spain and Italy, Ireland and Croatia and then England and France the next night. I think the biggest game of all the group stages will be Netherlands v Germany.

I think we can beat Hungary tonight and are biggest game of the groups is on Sunday against Croatia. If we beat them then I think we will go through. I think we will beat Croatia, lose to Spain and draw with Italy and go through. I think if we beat Croatia that Ireland and Spain will go through.

Here is my group predictions:
Group A
Russia
Greece
Czech Republic
Poland

Group B
Netherlands
Germany
Portugal
Denmark

Group C
Spain
Republic of Ireland
Italy
Croatia

Group D
France
England
Sweden
Ukraine
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptosio View Post
Sure it will, remember you are personally invited by the mayor Borat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nlGp45sxHY

Looks a very nice town and lovely architecture I must say.

JD47 I already said we should not be playing a team like Hungary this close to the tournament because of possible injuries. I just hope we get out with no injuries. A good result would maintain momentum and bring unbeaten run to 15 games. But that is secondary to getting out without serious injuries.

Old June 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
JD47 I already said we should not be playing a team like Hungary this close to the tournament because of possible injuries. I just hope we get out with no injuries. A good result would maintain momentum and bring unbeaten run to 15 games. But that is secondary to getting out without serious injuries.

I dont think there will be any injuries tonight. We should be alright.
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #8
odlum833

Hungary 0 Ireland 0 - no injuries. Trapattoni suggesting he could change formation because of the formation the Hungarians used which left them with an extra midfielder. He is considering, if Croatia choose a similar formation to what we saw tonight, playing one striker up front. I doubt it will be needed though. I'd imagine Croatia will go more traditional 4-4-2.

I would also play Walters instead of Doyle up along side Robbie Keane to start against Croatia.

Old June 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
odlum833

Ireland team arrived this morning in Poland

There were 14,000 people at Ireland's first training seesion in Gdynia, Poland.

Last edited by odlum833; June 5th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #10
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Thanks for setting up this Thread Odlum

Aparently, most of the 14k spectators were Polish.....that bodes well for us having some neutral support, which can make a huge difference as the Irish Rugby team experienced in New Zealand.

Mixed emotions after watching the Hungary match. Whilst we played fairly well, the defence , which up to now has been our strong point, was really dodgy. On a couple of occasions they made a meal out of clearing the ball. It made me think that a better team could tear us apart. There were some fairly heavy tackles also, which could have taken their toll.

Looking for ward to the Croatia game, I am inclined to agree with you Odlum over the formation. I have listened to a few comentators from the Balkans and they reckon that Croatias defence is at its weakest in about 20 years!

Next Sunday as well as being the opening matches could also be the most important individual games of the group. IMO, whoever prevails in the Spain/Italy clash will top the group. Likewise, if we don't get at least a point I think we are finished!

Interesting times!!

PS: One of my mates is 110% certain we will take 7 points from the group) haha. Got to love his optimism
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #11
JD47

Well we should have a lot of support from the Polish as half their population is living over here.
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #12
odlum833

Group B = group of death. Group C not far behind!

Last edited by odlum833; June 6th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #13
thebig C

God, I am more hopeful now after watching the Dutch being beaten. Likewise, Russia looked amazing last night and we held our own against them, or at least Richard Dunne did)

The standard has been very good thus far although poor refereeing has marred two games.

I have been talking to a good few Polish today are they are pretty gutted. They can't see Poland beating Russia and the Czech Rep. Even though the Russia match is always a grudge game its still a very tall order!

C
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #14
JD47

We can get a result tomorrow. The best result would be for us to win and for Spain and Italy to draw and then for Italy and Croatia to draw to would be fantastic.
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #15
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
We can get a result tomorrow. The best result would be for us to win and for Spain and Italy to draw and then for Italy and Croatia to draw to would be fantastic.
With any luck!! We'd still need to draw with Spain and Italy or beat one of them.
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
With any luck!! We'd still need to draw with Spain and Italy or beat one of them.
I think we will draw tonight. After watching Trap for many years I could see him going out looking for a draw tonight. He will be looking at long term. He will want a draw tonight and maybe a draw against Spain but he would fancy his chances against the Italians I would think.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #17
thebig C

Wow....thats the end of that. Realistically can't see us getting anything out of Italy or Spain.

I think the ref didn't help by allowing the second goal but that immaterial as Croatia were always going to win. We only played for 20 mins and basically allowed the Croats to dictate the pace of the game. The midfield was fairly non-existant. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Given didn't look particularly fit?!

C
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #18
odlum833

I thought Ireland were a little unlucky in the game. But Croatia deserved to win overall. Technically superior team. Ireland will just have to pick themselves up for the final games.

But coming up against Spain and Italy after that is very very tough.

Old June 10th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #19
JD47

We just showed the world how bad we are. We need to get rid of almost the whole team if you ask me. We have players in the team who cant make it in the Championship. I dont even think Andrews has a club. Not good enough and no heart.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #20
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

You might aswell go home now. Terrible from Ireland and shows them up as probably the weakest team in the tournament.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: