daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #21
odlum833

Likes (Received): 558

Why should anyone go home? At least we are actually there unlike certain other places we could mention. The group stage is not over yet.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #22
plank007

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Why should anyone go home? At least we are actually there unlike certain other places we could mention. The group stage is not over yet.
You have to beat Spain and Italy to go through, a draw against Italy or a sneaky win is achievable but I think Spain will embarrassingly destroy Ireland (even without a striker) unless offcourse Traps puts 10 men on the goal line for 90 minutes.

Always great to see Ireland at a tournament, great support, great atmosphere but I think they are a slightly out of their depth. It was English Championship versus English Premiership quality last night. Maybe if a load of lads in Offaly and similar places stopped kicking a Gaelic balls around Ireland would actually have a decent team.

Last edited by plank007; June 11th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #23
odlum833

Does not stand up when most of them play in the EPL. I thought Croatia were the better side. I also thought they were quite lucky. 1st goal was a fluke. 2nd - not only was Jelavic offside when the initial shot was played, St Ledger was kicked in the shin forcing a missed clearance, 3rd goal was an og by Given. Keane should have had a penalty. He gets that at 3 - 1 down and scores and it's a different game.

This is what football is about. Sometimes things go against you. We need a result against Spain and a win against Italy to progress. I don't know if that is possible. It depends how they react to last night's disappointment. More importantly Trapattoni has to make the changes he needs to make to the squad, stop playing defensively and just go for it. We need to play like we did in France. We are against it now so i'm more optimistic we will actually do that. Whether it's good enough against Spain, probably not, but they just have to go for it and be more positive. Nothing to lose now.

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #24
plank007

Exactly. It's all or nothing now. Hope they can do it.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #25
odlum833

The most stunning thing last night was that he took McGeady off for a striker (fair enough) and then leaves McClean and Hunt on the bench, two gifted left wingers, and sticks on Simon Cox instead. Now I cannot understand that. Simon Cox, good striker, nice fella but on the wing!? The substitutions Trapattoni made last night were incredible. How can McClean be left on the bench? Why bring him to the tournament if you have no intention of playing him? We had four gifted left wingers all on the bench for the last 20 minutes when we were 3 - 1 down. Duff, Hunt, McGeady and McClean. I just don't understand that. I don't know what he thought that was going to achieve.

I would also drop Keane for the Spain match or have him as a sub and play Shane Long instead with Walters partnering him instead of Doyle. Doyle has been poor for a couple of seasons now. I don't think he should automatically start - I don't think he has earned a starting place.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #26
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
The most stunning thing last night was that he took McGeady off for a striker (fair enough) and then leaves McClean and Hunt on the bench, two gifted left wingers, and sticks on Simon Cox instead. Now I cannot understand that. Simon Cox, good striker, nice fella but on the wing!? The substitutions Trapattoni made last night were incredible. How can McClean be left on the bench? Why bring him to the tournament if you have no intention of playing him? We had four gifted left wingers all on the bench for the last 20 minutes when we were 3 - 1 down. Duff, Hunt, McGeady and McClean. I just don't understand that. I don't know what he thought that was going to achieve.

I would also drop Keane for the Spain match or have him as a sub and play Shane Long instead with Walters partnering him instead of Doyle. Doyle has been poor for a couple of seasons now. I don't think he should automatically start - I don't think he has earned a starting place.
Agreed, I was scratching my head at that one!

Basically, we have nothing to lose. On the basis of last night I think he needs to start Walters and Cox up front purely for physicality. McClean has to be on from the start also.

Not sure what to do with Whelan or Andrews. Maybe Gibson? I like hunt but I always think of him more as an impact sub. Long was completely misplayed on the wing but he might work as an AM sitting in front of the Mids.

As for the defence, again....not a whole lot of options, and I wouldn't fancy playing McShane. I guess we just have to hope they have a better game, but they were dreadful both against Croatia and Hungary!!

If he starts with the same 11 we may throw our hats into the ring1

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #27
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Exactly. It's all or nothing now. Hope they can do it.
It really is, may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #28
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post

Not sure what to do with Whelan or Andrews. Maybe Gibson?

C

I'd play Gibson instead of Whelan. Thought Whelan was unusually poor and lacklustre for Ireland last night. Andrews played well.

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #29
thebig C

Quote:
I'd play Gibson instead of Whelan. Thought Whelan was unusually poor and lacklustre for Ireland last night. Andrews played well.

Yes Andrews wasn't bad, got a few headers from set pieces as well.

What starting 11 would you go for?
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #30
thebig C

I thought a draw was a decent result for England yesterday, and probably a fair result also. Neither team looked terribly impressive.

Great result for Ukraine. Sweden looked quite good but have it all to do now. Its hard to tell what way this group will go, you could put the Ukrainian result down to first match highs.

C
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #31
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

The best games have been the little ones. All the big games have been average apart from the Italy v Spain game. I am looking forward to the two games tonight. They should be class.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #32
thebig C

Cracker of a game last night. I thought Poland were unlucky not to win, Błaszczykowski
scored the goal of the tournament so far!
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #33
plank007

Gary Lightbody defends football support.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16171927.html

I can't believe people would actually attack him for this. I'm a Northern Ireland football supporter too but I'm also supporting the Republic of Ireland in this tournment. Just like I'm also supporting England aswell. Just like I want any nation from these islands to do well.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #34
thebig C

Wow...didn't think I could get more depressed! So many problems I literally don't know where to start!

Surely, this should lead to a COMPLETE clean slate for World Cup 2014?! A young team built around the likes of McClean, McCarthy, Coleman etc etc. Young eager players. Even if we don't qualify we will at least start to build something. A few of the sacred cows such as Keane, Duff, Given and Dunne should be retired also. Furthermore, guys like Andrews, McShane etc who are free agents and can't even get a game shouldn't get near a green jersey!! I'd rather have a match fit, blooded determined League of Ireland chap then somebody who is getting splinters on his ass sitting on the bench of a Championship team!
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #35
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Wow...didn't think I could get more depressed! So many problems I literally don't know where to start!

Surely, this should lead to a COMPLETE clean slate for World Cup 2014?! A young team built around the likes of McClean, McCarthy, Coleman etc etc. Young eager players. Even if we don't qualify we will at least start to build something. A few of the sacred cows such as Keane, Duff, Given and Dunne should be retired also. Furthermore, guys like Andrews, McShane etc who are free agents and can't even get a game shouldn't get near a green jersey!! I'd rather have a match fit, blooded determined League of Ireland chap then somebody who is getting splinters on his ass sitting on the bench of a Championship team!
I agree, Trap needs to look at the League of Ireland, there's some great hidden talents there and he needs to put more emphasis on it! Anyway great noise from our fans at the end, we were beaten by a stunning world class team.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #36
plank007

Stop bringing the *Irish* English players over simply because they play for English Premiership clubs.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #37
spider74
ireland

Likes (Received): 8

Murder on the gdansk floor........all we have is Katie Taylor now.
spider74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #38
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
I agree, Trap needs to look at the League of Ireland, there's some great hidden talents there and he needs to put more emphasis on it! Anyway great noise from our fans at the end, we were beaten by a stunning world class team.
Tragically the fans have been by far and away the best thing about the tournament from an Irish perspective! Really proud of them!!
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #39
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Stop bringing the *Irish* English players over simply because they play for English Premiership clubs.
TBH, I don't care where they are from as long as they are the best possible. ATM, players are picked based on how they fit into the "system"!!
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #40
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider74 View Post
Murder on the gdansk floor........all we have is Katie Taylor now.
Hopefully...she deserves it!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: