daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #41
plank007

Likes (Received): 24

I hope McClean gets his comeuppance now. Good decision to switch teams.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #42
spider74
ireland

Likes (Received): 8

How true!!.....

Whats the difference between Bill Clinton and the Irish soccer team??
At least Clinton can score!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the jokes are already hopping around Facebook!
spider74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #43
Seravia

Likes (Received): 5

Well that was awful today, and there really isn't much good you can take out of it. I did think Walters was quite good when he came on, or as good as possible given the circumstances.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #44
JD47

Likes (Received): 191

We need a fresh new team and a better youth system. The FAI have to put money into youth football in this country. Make kids better at the game.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #45
Karldiff

Likes (Received): 40

At least you got to Euro 2012. I wouldn't beat yourselves up about it. We (Wales) have not had a sniff of a major finals since Tom Jones was in short pants. I'd swap our recent record for yours any day of the week!
Karldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #46
odlum833

Likes (Received): 657

No team on the planet would have beaten Spain on Thursday. They are that good. I enjoyed the game though. I thought the fans were very good.

Roy Keane was speaking on television however and was not impressed by the team or the fans!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #47
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2381

No team on Earth? That's a bit of a stretch.....

Ireland have been poor performers from the start, serious investment is needed by FAI in grass roots football, training, coaching and developing national talent.

Too much emphasis has been placed on GAA and footballing talent has suffered as a result. One of the primary reasons to explain why Ireland qualified is due to the presence of players that play in the English premier league and the exceptional football coaching and talent development it has.

FAI really needs to have a long hard think about it's ability to nurture and develop talent and not leave that to others to do for them.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #48
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post

FAI really needs to have a long hard think about it's ability to nurture and develop talent and not leave that to others to do for them.
Yeah, the weakness of the LOI is quite profound - only Shamrock Rovers have qualified for a European tournament and they were beaten out of the Europa League in similar fashion to the national squad at this year's European Championships. We need to see the likes of Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Bohemians, Derry and Cork City getting into the Europa League on a more regular basis with the odd team getting as far as the Champions League. Having this stronger domestic baseline should enhance the standard of the national team and give us a better chance in the Euros and World Cups to come.

In any event, the summary dismissal of the Netherlands tonight has served to salve some of my disappointment with how Ireland's campaign has developed. Even World Cup finalists can be left bereft of points from their continental championship!
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #49
odlum833

Quote:
No team on Earth? That's a bit of a stretch.....

That is the single greatest national team ever assembled. It's half Barcalona, half Real Madrid but they all play like Barcelona. I don't see who can beat them in this tournament. I don't see who can beat them at the next World Cup either. Really I don't. Brazil, Argentina? Brazil have not got a single world class player for the first time I can remember. Argentina have Messi and not much more world class talent. Spain, especially the midfield, is the strongest in the world. Unless something drastic or completely surreal occurs (possible but very unlikely) the trophy is theirs again. I expect them to walk this and it would be a brave man to bet against them.

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #50
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Brazil have not got a single world class player for the first time I can remember. Argentina have Messi and not much more world class talent. Spain, especially the midfield, is the strongest in the world. Unless something drastic or completely surreal occurs (possible but very unlikely) the trophy is theirs again.
I dont think Spain will win the next world cup. Brazil do have class players. Watch out for Lucas and Neymar in the next few years. They will be massive players by the world cup. Pato is something else too. Argentina have Messi but they also have a good few other talents. Messi will get better for his country and the likes of Higuaín, Pastore and Aguero all have very bright futures. Spain are an amazing side but a lot of that is down to Xavi. Xavi is getting old and if he gets injuried in the next world cup then I cant see Spain winning it. They need a new CB to to link up with Pique.

I think Germany will beat Spain. I think they will win this thing. They are just as good as Spain in my opinion. Gomes is on form and he can almost score from anywhere. That could be a problem for Spain especially with Puyol gone. I might just put a bet on Portugal doing something. I can see them upsetting Germany and Spain and winning it.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #51
odlum833

I don't. Spain are on a different level. Surprised you don't mention Iniesta. Talking about Spain and not mentioning Iniesta is a bit silly.

Old June 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #52
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I don't. Spain are on a different level. Surprised you don't mention Iniesta. Talking about Spain and not mentioning Iniesta is a bit silly.
Iniesta is one of Spains biggest players but Xavi is their man. Ineista has did so many things for Spain and Barcelona but Xavi is the best midfielder in the world. Spain losing Xavi is a bigger blow then losing Iniesta.
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #53
plank007

Just watched the Irish press conference and I'm sorry to say but Trapattoni has to go. As much as Trapattoni has done in his career this man is pathetic and an embarrassment to Irish football with the comments he was making. Firstly he can barely speak a word of English without a translator and he's 73 for christ sake. Manuel from fawlty towers could communicate better.

Are all Irish mangers (grass roots to Irish league) so bad we have to get a 73 year old Italian man who can barely speak English to manage our national squad?

I hope when the squad get back to Ireland Trapattoni is politely given his marching orders by the FAI. Thank you for getting us to Euro 2012 but now is time for a new manger to come in and develop the younger players coming through.

I'm not asking for Roy Keane to be Ireland next manager but at least Keano would have given some of the Irish players a kick up the arse they deserve. Keane has passion, hunger and the desire to win. Trapattoni doesn't seem one bit bothered by this embarrassing Euro campaign. When Ireland were getting beat by Croatia he did nothing, he barely changed the squad for the Spain game. Get this man out and get a passionate, Irish born manager who knows the players (grass roots to league), someone who can speak the language and has the desire to win and prove himself.

Somebody like Brendan Rodgers who knows grass roots football or Martin O'Neil who is an excellent motivator and can make average players play like superstars would be perfect the Irish job.
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #54
odlum833

He has made some pretty bad decisions against Spain and Croatia. Against Croatia he took off two wingers and put two strikers on the wings Against Spain he played 4 - 5 - 1 - but how was it ever going to work without a big player like Walters or Doyle up front? Instead he puts the smallest striker we have up front with Robbie Keane (and changes it at half time more or less conceding it was a mistake). He has also been blaming the players off loading his own responsibility.

Old June 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #55
plank007

Indeed and as much as I dislike McClean, why did he only play him for 20 minutes? McLean is probably one of the best Irish players at the moment. Andrews shouldn't have started after the Croatia game and Keane was only on the field because of his goal record in the qualifiers. Also Given clearly wasn't fit and should have maybe been dropped.

I think Trapattoni should walk, he's not doing his reputation or legacy any good by staying until 2014. Thank you Trapattoni for getting Ireland to our first tournament in a decade and our first Euro championship in god knows how long but I'm sorry you aren't the future of Irish International football. Neither are the likes of Keane, Duff or Given. Get them all out and bring the young blood who will serve Ireland for another decade.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #56
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2381

Well Rodgers certainly isn't going to manage them, highly doubt he's going to give up Liverpool to manage Ireland....

I don't see O'Neill doing it either TBH

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #57
JD47

I hear Pep Guardiola is free.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #58
plank007

Quote:
Well Rodgers certainly isn't going to manage them, highly doubt he's going to give up Liverpool to manage Ireland....

I don't see O'Neill doing it either TBH
Offcourse O'Neill and Rogers would never do it, after all they are Northern Irish managers. But what I'm saying is someone like O'Neill or Rogers would be perfect.
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #59
plank007

Jesus, Ireland have played alot better these last 7 minutes than the other games.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #60
odlum833

Again the manager makes dubious decisions. I cannot understand what the manager is trying to achieve with his subtitutions. Again two strikers on for two wingers. One example is James McClean (starring the EPL for Sunderland week in week out) not even getting on the pitch! Seriously like? I cannot understand that.

Changes needed. Both in personel and tactics. We have good young players coming through. They need their chance.

P.S if O'Neill was offered what Trapattoni is on (€1.5m per year) you can be bloody sure what he would do. Manage a side that will never qualify for anything and pays pittance or a side that is at least capable of qualifying for tournaments. Not that tough a choice.

Last edited by odlum833; June 19th, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: