daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #61
plank007

Likes (Received): 21

He has to go. I'm sorry, this tournament has been an embarrassment. I agree with what Keane says, Irish fans don't pay hard earned money to have a sing song and see their team get stuffed. Irish fans want to see their team win and perform well, just like any other country. Trapattoni has fielded one of the weakest teams in the European Championship history, fact. We should have got something out of the Croatia game (a country with a population less than Irelands) and we shouldn't have let Spain and Italy stuff us so much and maybe got a lucky draw against one of them.

When you qualify for a major tournament you expect to be able to compete, Ireland didn't compete and were completely fucking stuffed.

Also can't believe the FAI were so fucking stupid to extend Trapattonis contact for another two years before the Euros. Means they can't afford to sack him - €1.5m x 2 years = expensive. Hopefully he walks before he's pushed though.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 19th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #62
odlum833

Likes (Received): 551

How about Domenech - says he wants to manage Ireland.

http://www.foot01.com/equipe-de-fran...domenech,90172

Would be ok - if he did not select players based on their star signs!!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #63
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2048

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
P.S if O'Neill was offered what Trapattoni is on (€1.5m per year) you can be bloody sure what he would do. Manage a side that will never qualify for anything and pays pittance or a side that is at least capable of qualifying for tournaments. Not that tough a choice.
??

The Republic of Ireland team is hardly a beacon of footballing success. It has qualified for the UEFA Euro Championship twice and didn't make it past the group stage in either event.

They have only qualified for the World Cup on 3 occasions, same number as the NI team, and the highest level they achieved was the quarter finals, same as the NI team.

Let's not get beyond ourselves here Odlum...neither team is spectacular so don't quite see how you think the Rep. team is superior.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #64
plank007

Bring in Keano.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #65
odlum833

Yeh but Belfastuniguy ROI's first qualification was 1988. The last time NI was involved in a tournament I was not even born. The game has gone way beyond those days unfortunately. Different era. You have to ask yourself honestly would it be better having an all ireland team from your own perspective. I think it would be better. We all might have something to cheer about then. The way things are and the way the game has progressed I just can't see NI ever qualifying again. It's a shame because just qualifying makes people very happy and excited. It's too small a place on it's own. The player pool is too small. And it's undermined because players from the north can play for us now.

And no, I certainly don't see the ROI team as a beacon of success - certainly not. But at least there is always a realistic chance they can qualify. Sometimes we get knocked out in playoffs against better teams. Whether they do shit or not at the actual tournament does take a back seat to the fact of just being there.

Eamon Dunphy made an interesting comment the other night. He said we have to make sure in the coming years that we don't (his words) "end up like Scotland, Wales and NI" who never qualify for anything. I never really thought about it like that before.

The thing about international football is the enormous gap between the top 10 and everyone else. ROI is 18th ranked in the world and yet look at the gulf between us and the top 10 as exemplified in the group.

NI is below 100th ranked in the world. They were trashed 6 - 0 by the Dutch prior to the tournamnet (who did not get a point in the competition) and 5 - 0 by us last Summer. So not only is the gap between us and the top 10 large in terms of quality - it's much larger when it comes to sides outside the top 30. That's just the way international football has gone.

I think if there was an all ireland team it would enhance prospects for all in these tournaments. It's great to experience a big event like it no matter how the team does.

Last edited by odlum833; June 19th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #66
god

Likes (Received): 152

Irish fans in Sopot, night before Spain game (footage not taken by me). I was there, it was great! I'm sad that they already left

Last edited by god; June 20th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
god está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #67
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

I think this Euro has did us good in a bid to get Euro 2020. We showed that we are friendly and that Euro 2020 can be class.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #68
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
Bring in Keano.

I'd like to see him get 12-18 months to run the national squad to see if his much-vaunted will to win and pursuit of excellence will result in us performing much better and get into Brazil 2014.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #69
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

This not not aimed at any one poster, but could I just ask people not to turn this into an NI vs ROI debate!!)
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #70
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
I'd like to see him get 12-18 months to run the national squad to see if his much-vaunted will to win and pursuit of excellence will result in us performing much better and get into Brazil 2014.
LOL....that strategy worked really well for him at Ipswitch and Sunderland And he didn't alienate any of the players at those teams;P
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM   #71
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I think this Euro has did us good in a bid to get Euro 2020. We showed that we are friendly and that Euro 2020 can be class.
Naturally some elements of society have complained about the fans good humour in the face of defeat.....but I actually think you could be on to something. If nothing else the great attitude of our fans has bought us alot of good will. Who knows, if the decision in a couple of years time is a tied vote then perhaps, just perhaps, insignificant things like this could sway it!!
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM   #72
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
??

The Republic of Ireland team is hardly a beacon of footballing success. It has qualified for the UEFA Euro Championship twice and didn't make it past the group stage in either event.

They have only qualified for the World Cup on 3 occasions, same number as the NI team, and the highest level they achieved was the quarter finals, same as the NI team.

Let's not get beyond ourselves here Odlum...neither team is spectacular so don't quite see how you think the Rep. team is superior.
Actually believe it or not we could have qualified for alot more if it wasn't for the FAI!!

Leaving aside World Cup Qualifiers in 1978 and 2010 when refereeing decisions effectively robbed us, and the Euros in 1992 and 2000 when we threw Qualification away, there were actually 4 occasions when Rep of Ireland "could" have appeared in the World Cup.

The first was 1930 when particapating was by invite....which the FAI declined! Despite the hosts paying travel costs.

In the early years of the World Cup it wasn't unusual for teams to pull out for political reasons (bearing in mind there were far fewer independent Countries due to colonialism)....their vacant places were offered to Countries who finished behind them in Qualification. This happened to ROI in 1950...again the FAI declined!

Most famously in 1966, we got to the play-off round against Spain. The match was to be played in Wembley, which given the ammount of Irish emigrants would have essentially been a home game. The FAI accepted a Spanish offer of several thousand pounds to move the match to Paris, a City with a huge Spanish community. Ireland lost 1-0 in a close game!!

There you go some Soccer trivia. We could have been alot more successful if it wasn't for the suits!!))
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #73
thebig C

What do you guys make of the next round.....any predictions?? Pertsonally I think there might be a few surprises.

Also, some comentators are criticising England for being lucky. Ok, perhaps they were lucky in having a goalline official who is obviously blind However, I think the are doing something very important, namely taking their chances. Most of their goals could be described as being against the run of play. This is important as its no use having loads of possession in midfield if you can't do anything once you reach the opposition box!
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #74
odlum833

At least the fans did us proud.

Quote:
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ireland's cheerful legions of singing fans have won a UEFA prize after winning millions of admirers at the European Championship.

UEFA says its president Michel Platini will visit Ireland soon to present an award to thank the "absolutely fantastic" fans.

UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino said, "everyone was very impressed with the fans of the Irish national team."

The Irish fans' singing of "The Fields of Athenry" filled stadiums in Poznan and Gdansk with emotion despite the team being mostly outclassed in losing to Croatia, Spain and Italy.

"The Fields of Athenry" is a folk song set during the 19th century Irish Famine about a fictional man from near Athenry in County Galway sentenced to be transported to Australia for stealing food for his starving family.

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon said Ireland's fans "should be applauded."

Buffon said: "They are people full of pride and happiness who accept defeat and victory in the same manner."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article...12-3675603.php

We should have had a homecoming for the fans. They could have been in open top buses with the team cheering them on.

Last edited by odlum833; June 30th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #75
JD47

Blatter should of let us in the world cup in 2010. See what you missed Blatter you twat.
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM   #76
odlum833

I think Italy might win tomorrow!

Two finalists in our group. It's a straw anyway.

Last edited by odlum833; July 1st, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:39 PM   #77
odlum833

Awesome, awesome Spain.

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #78
plank007

Can't really blame us for not getting out of our group.
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM   #79
JD47

That wanker Torres does it again. He always seems to be able to break my heart. What a prick.

Well done Spain. Fabregas was class and I have a new respect for him now.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #80
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
LOL....that strategy worked really well for him at Ipswitch and Sunderland And he didn't alienate any of the players at those teams;P
Well it would stop him sniping from the sidelines and could give us the impetus we need to get to the knockout stages of the next world cup. Re your "what might have been" for Irish football elsewhere in the thread - Ireland could've done so much better in World Cup 2002 had Roy Keane been involved. We held Spain, yes Spain to penalties in an R16 match (which seems astonishing considering last night's masterclass) so had we Keane as a goal/penalty scorer we could have progressed to the quarter-finals. We would then have been at the hallowed heights of Italia 90 and probably facing South Korea. Again, with Roy Keane and a desire to top what came before, we could've gone all the way to the semi-finals and then, who knows? I'd like to visit that parallel universe some time!

Also, I'm not surprised to see the FAI stymied our chances to qualify for previous world cups to Italia 90. They are our national team's worst enemy and think of themselves first before what's good for the team and sport in the country. They are a bunch of clowns who would struggle to run a lemonade stand. They're also to blame for overseeing what is probably Europe's weakest domestic league.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: