daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
ZjQj

Likes (Received): 0

What kind of architectural style is this, and where can I find more?

Hello everyone

I'm after a bit of advice/direction and this seems the perfect place to ask..

I'm trying to build up some inspiration to draw and model (digitally) buildings and landscapes and have found a couple of styles that I want to use for reference.

I don't know a great deal about architecture, but find certain types of British buildings fascinating and beautiful but I'm not even sure when they were built, or even if they are a 'style' or a 'movement'.

They seem to mostly be industrial or commercial buildings, red brick, flat roofing, occasionally with cement render and pronounced lintels, and white metal-framed windows. They appear to be very sturdy and well built. Shapes are usually very harsh and utilitarian.

Where I grew up near Manchester there we plenty of these places on old semi-derelict industrial areas, although quite a few were (and possibly still are) in use. I seem to recall a few pharma and chemical companies using these buildings, such as ICI and Ciba-Geigy.

I would guess that they were built around late 40s to mid/late 60s, but it is just a guess - I live not far from Trafford Park in Manchester (a huge industrial estate) but I've not seen many of these buildings. Trafford Park was heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe during WWII, so maybe they were built pre-war.

I would love to know more about these buildings, their design and the inspiration that drove their architects, and I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people here can set me in the right direction and maybe at more photos of this type.

Here's some examples of the buildings I'm talking about - I'm finding it quite difficult to source reference photos (which is why I'm posting here of course) so these might be a little mixed up but hopefully you'll get the gist.

The foreground building is the one I'm looking at here

This one's a bit art deco (I think) so not quite right, but the windows on the right are more demonstrative.

The windows here aren't quite right, but the general shape of the building is right.

I'd be really pleased if anyone can help me out - if I've not really explained myself please let me know and I'll add more details.

Thanks!
ZjQj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZjQj View Post

The foreground building is the one I'm looking at here

This one's a bit art deco (I think) so not quite right, but the windows on the right are more demonstrative.

Thanks!
There are two styles in these pics. Art deco built with brick and expressionism but both in a more sober way. Both very commen in Europe.

Famous example are buildings like the battersea power station in Londen or the Sch÷neberg-Tempelhof in Berlin.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
joshsam
JR

Quote:
The windows here aren't quite right, but the general shape of the building is right.

Thanks!
No style here. Just some random plain brick factory building of wich there are millions in Europe probably 30 years old max.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4
joshsam
JR

Ps: You might also want to compaire those first immages with modernism in brick at the Interbellum (1918–1939)
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
ZjQj

Likes (Received): 0

Brick expressionism

Thank you Joshsam - sorry I didn't reply sooner!

This will really put me on track now, and I can see that Brick Expressionism even has it's own (substantial) entry on Wikipedia(en)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_Expressionism

and it's a category with 17 related items:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor..._Expressionism

Reading through these led me on to Brick Gothic (again with it's own page) which I find stunning, having only seen any of this style of architecture (that I'm aware of) in Riga, Latvia.

Knowing this style now gives me access to tons of resources via the web (including this forum of course), so again - thank you for your help - really, really appreciate it!
ZjQj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Reading through these led me on to Brick Gothic (again with it's own page) which I find stunning, having only seen any of this style of architecture (that I'm aware of) in Riga, Latvia.
Amsterdam is full of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterdam_School

Just outside the citycenter
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
joshsam
JR

@ ZjQj: you're welcome
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #8
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

Tons of it in Toronto, too. Exactly same colour of brick, too.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

London is full of it. Sudbury Town tube station you might like:

Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

It looks like an Art Moderne/Bauhaus
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote