daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #2061
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

This night time lighting is absolutely amazing. If the final product does not involve a light show of equal or greater than the Empire State Building, I will throw a fit.

57th&1st, Zaz965 liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #2062
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
This night time lighting is absolutely amazing. If the final product does not involve a light show of equal or greater than the Empire State Building, I will throw a fit.
I agree! It'll definitely need to play off the ESB's lighting as well as the 42nd Street spire combo that is 4 Times Square and 1 Bryant Park. Although I imagine the lighting scheme will be more akin to the ESB's considering the tower's top setbacks are part of the lighting and not just the spire.

onewtclover, Zaz965 liked this post
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #2063
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
What i really like about this tower is, that even with it´s height, it rather belnds in, then sticking out like toers of this height do in most other cities worldwide. The sheer fabric of Manhattan is really something that i admire, and that towers of this height will be elements of that urban fabric. I think that even a 2000 feet tall tower would rather belnd in, then sticking out.

And here is a glimpse of what the midtown east rezoning could result in.

copyright: 6sqft
vision

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #2064
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

tell me friends is that demolition underway?
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #2065
1Undershaft
BANNED

Likes (Received): 50

Demolition is well underway. I think that the whole site will be cleared by the summer. One of the approximately six buildings on the site is gone, and one of the larger buildings on Madison and 43rd is almost gone.

Munwon, Zaz965 liked this post
1Undershaft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #2066
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Does anyone know how wide this building is going to be from one side to the other on this masterpiece? Probably the most powerful Skyscraper look I've seen in many many years, if not decades. Looks Massively impressive.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #2067
1Undershaft
BANNED

It occupies the full block, but the blocks between Madison and Vanderbilt are the smallest in Midtown.
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #2068
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Does anyone know how wide this building is going to be from one side to the other on this masterpiece? Probably the most powerful Skyscraper look I've seen in many many years, if not decades. Looks Massively impressive.

According to the document below, the base of One Vanderbilt will be 208'8'' on the south and north sides, 200'10'' on the west side, and will taper inward a bit on the east side, making the eastern width facing Grand Central 183'4''.

Tommy Boy, Zaz965 liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #2069
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

12/28

1251_0226 copyFL by David Benyukhis, on Flickr

sgollis, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #2070
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57916

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
As excited as I am for East Midtown's potential growth, I don't want to see Chrysler completely enveloped by all these new towers. It's my hope that a larger rezoning will include some kind of view corridor preservation, such as the sightline between WTC, ESB and Chrysler, and the view of Chrysler from the East River.

Modernizing East Midtown's office stock to re-establish it as the top global CBD should be the priority, but the value of that Manhattan iconography shouldn't be underestimated.
Period! NYC would be totally selling its soul completely when Chrysler Building and ESB are hidden from the most crucial views. There should be sightline protection zones around them.

I mean, imagine Eiffel Tower in Paris surrounded by ridiculous towers... No matter how many supertall towers will be built in Manhattan in the future, there need to remain some constants, or it'll end up like a totally random looking place.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

AlexDemens, Zaz965, JohnFlint1985 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #2071
WR HEARST
BANNED

...New york is not Paris...thanks God!
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #2072
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Period! NYC would be totally selling its soul completely when Chrysler Building and ESB are hidden from the most crucial views. There should be sightline protection zones around them.

I mean, imagine Eiffel Tower in Paris surrounded by ridiculous towers... No matter how many supertall towers will be built in Manhattan in the future, there need to remain some constants, or it'll end up like a totally random looking place.
I beg the opposite. The City will never take into account what some skyscrapers that are built in the last century have something with the elaboration of today. A city should always be evolving otherwise the city will stagnate. The uniqueness with Manhattan is the plenty masses of skyscrapers not the lack of them. New iconic buildings will overtake the ESB and CB as this century's iconic skyscrapers. It's a Megacity not a village or a museum. AMEN.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

rikardo_200, voyager8907 liked this post

Last edited by Tommy Boy; December 31st, 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #2073
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
...New york is not Paris...thanks God!
Paris is a bit stagnant, but it's streets are far nicer than anything you find in most of the world, including NYC. There is a reason why Paris is beautiful today. Few modern buildings.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #2074
TopoGigio

Likes (Received): 250

This one will probably be my favourite skyscraper from all these new tall ones Looking forward to seeing it grow!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbe...0wqfMLnW3SkkoA

Marco Polo liked this post
TopoGigio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:40 AM   #2075
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

I can't wait for more official renderings! Hopefully nothing will change when it comes to its profile.

Last edited by Mcully56964; December 31st, 2015 at 07:43 AM.
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:52 AM   #2076
JohnDee

The old gems that were pulled down are at least being replaced by something worthy. The tower looks like a modern take on the Chysler and ESB. NY always sticks to its roots, that's for sure. The modernist box, the art-deco scraper. These are the dominant styles that have influenced the current boom.

The developer stick to whats safe and don't venture into much unknown territory, besides the guys who hired BIG. There isn't much of a departure into futurism or organic structures, for example, like you see in Asia or parts of London (Gherkin, etc.). I wonder what the next boom will bring. Will design trends have become more adventurous by then? Or will we be seeing more art-deco inspired towers and more 500+ m boxes?

I actually think NY would benefit from something radically different in a scraper. Nothing horrendous though like that Hadid tower in Melbourne, just something radically different from art-deco and modernist boxes.

Last edited by JohnDee; December 31st, 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:04 PM   #2077
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
Paris is a bit stagnant, but it's streets are far nicer than anything you find in most of the world, including NYC. There is a reason why Paris is beautiful today. Few modern buildings.

lol!..Have you been to Paris recently??No need to go to Vienna or London:even Michigan av in Chicago is nicer than the trashy "Champs Elysées".
A few spots in Paris are awesome but in its entirety forget about it!
Paris is a pretentious old lady with a messy make up and outdated outfit.
Paris is a gipsy city;better go to Bordeaux or Lyon!
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:27 PM   #2078
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
lol!..Have you been to Paris recently??No need to go to Vienna or London:even Michigan av in Chicago is nicer than the trashy "Champs Elysées".
A few spots in Paris are awesome but in its entirety forget about it!
Paris is a pretentious old lady with a messy make up and outdated outfit.
Paris is a gipsy city;better go to Bordeaux or Lyon!
interesting, I didn't really get that impression this summer. However, I'll take it you know a bit more than I do give your French.

Champs Elysee is too touristy and full of junky stores for me though, I agree with you there. Still, can't beat Paris architecture if you like the older styles. I have no been to Vienna, but visited Nice too. I thought Nice had a nice relaxed feel to it.

Last edited by JohnDee; December 31st, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 02:39 PM   #2079
WR HEARST
BANNED

!!!....Born and raised in beautiful Los Angeles...
Fascinated by the 17th/18th french centuries
New York addict(most diverse and fascinated city in the world)
...and by the way totally stunned by OVP design!
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 02:45 PM   #2080
1Undershaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
The old gems that were pulled down are at least being replaced by something worthy. The tower looks like a modern take on the Chysler and ESB. NY always sticks to its roots, that's for sure. The modernist box, the art-deco scraper. These are the dominant styles that have influenced the current boom.

The developer stick to whats safe and don't venture into much unknown territory, besides the guys who hired BIG. There isn't much of a departure into futurism or organic structures, for example, like you see in Asia or parts of London (Gherkin, etc.). I wonder what the next boom will bring. Will design trends have become more adventurous by then? Or will we be seeing more art-deco inspired towers and more 500+ m boxes?

I actually think NY would benefit from something radically different in a scraper. Nothing horrendous though like that Hadid tower in Melbourne, just something radically different from art-deco and modernist boxes.
Once again, you've clearly never been to NY.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall