daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ŧ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #201
nickguar

Likes (Received): 10

The future is here.
nickguar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #202
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddington View Post
Thanks for sharing it in bigger size! I just realized that in the first render, 517 Lexington (Hyatt 48 Lex) is not built (construction began in 2007 and finished in 2011). (Saw that because I created this one in paper model, 2 weeks ago).
In the last one: no WTC1.
Is that an old render just released?
SOM just used an outdated backdrop for their renderings. A silly mistake to make for them.
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #203
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
I am not quite sure I understand. Limit to street cars? What kind of other cars are there? I clicked on the click and I'm trying to figure how this would be great.
'Street cars' as in light rail or trollies, not automobiles.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #204
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

The two towers are amazing. We need more designs like them in the city. But the ring does nothing for me. It's way to big, it would be different if the building were closer.
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #205
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Just build it!
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #206
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
You obviously donīt understand the concept behind this transformation.

Itīs meant to create something for the next 100 years as mentioned in the livestream. The proposals are something that stick to this vision, and the skyline we know TODAY is not the skyline our children and grandchidlren will associate with NYC. And itīs possible that the proposal with the ring, will fit into this skyline.

Like Foster said "you have to look BACk to look FORWARD".

Did the ESB fit the existing skyline in 1931? No!
Does it fit now? Yes.

And this crazy proposals might work the same way, the ESB did.
The ESB looked good even in 1931. And if they want to create something that will transform the skyline into something better they should build a megatall and not 2 medicorely high towers with a hideous ring between them
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #207
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I agree with Kanto. The ring is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen, and the towers alone aren't great. Please don't build twins here. Individual designs are much, much better. And 42nd Street should remain the way it is. Just light rail lines would ruin the atmosphere. New York is trying to change much too quickly. Just keep it simple.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #208
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Hell freaking yeah! I'm all for it. I think this looks brilliant. It's new, it's unseen, it's futuristic, it's gonna grab a lot of attention.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #209
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

exactly. If there is anything to add here I would like to just say that the ring itself is not something that fits to the surroundings but makes one. It would be what Eiffel Tower is for Paris or London Eye for London. Hated at first but can now anybody imagine these cites without those landmarks?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #210
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
The ESB looked good even in 1931. And if they want to create something that will transform the skyline into something better they should build a megatall and not 2 medicorely high towers with a hideous ring between them
Megatall wouldn't really bring what they looking for. It would be just another tower in the sea of hundreds of them, just a little bit taller.

SOM's proposal fits into the skyline since towers won't be much taller than surroundings. The only thing questionable here is the ring. Is it good or is it bad, everyone has their own reasons. I think it's perfect, specially if it moves up and down. It brings dynamics, something new, it creates public space, which is very important and the best thing, it is connecting ground and roofs, one life on the ground, second life up in the air. Perfection.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #211
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I agree with Kanto. The ring is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen, and the towers alone aren't great. Please don't build twins here. Individual designs are much, much better. And 42nd Street should remain the way it is. Just light rail lines would ruin the atmosphere. New York is trying to change much too quickly. Just keep it simple.
If you would have taken a closer look at the two said towers, you would have realized that the towers have individual designs, therefore said towers arenīt TWINS.

The streets of NYC are eyecatching because of the retail and the architecture NOW, but mostly horrible when it comes to landscaping. The plan to transform the 42nd street into a grand boulevard is something to add deepness into the city fabric, enhance quality and make the whole system more sophisticated.

They showed a proposal to tranform Park Aevnue today, and renders gave a glimpse of what it might be, if you visualize such a plan for the 42 street, from WSH all the way to Times Square, you pass 1BP, see the library, walk down to GCT and see the new transformed GTC area all the way down to the UNHQ. :O Dear Lord!
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #212
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Having those two new supertalls with the ring would be awesome!!!! I doubt very much it will happen but we can always hope.

I've been wondering why they don't put a roof top lounge on the former helipad of the Met Life building. It would be much better than 230 Fifth!! And think of the views - midtown, a spectucularly up close and personal view of the Chrysler building, and unobscured views of the ESB and downtown. I would think it would be a total hit - the only problem being having to close sometimes due to high winds.

The one thing that I do disagree with here though is the notion that that area around Grand Central has been seedy or run down. I've been here since '82 and in all those years the area has always been upscale and nice. Only the interior of the station was not good but even that was totally made over years ago.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #213
GerFok
Gerard F

Likes (Received): 44

The ring is never going to be build!

Just by thinking rational: such a ring is to expensive and the maintenance of a such a device is to expensive. It is just a brainfart of one of the visionairy architects but far from reality.

What they probably could do is build a bridge type or a block highscraper swallowing the surrounding buildings that could resamble the TV tower in Bejing China.

At the end this will become a to expensive project and they probably will choose for a compromis between a infrastuctural super hub that exceeds expectations and some classical skyscrapers that fit the surroundings better.
GerFok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #214
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

A few renderings posted by NYGuy on SSP, from this article. He is the king of NY renderings!

While the ring is very very very unlikely to be built, and the skyscrapers shown are more place holders, I love the image of GCT being flanked by two huge new office buildings. A perfect image for the economic might of NY.

Towersville liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #215
Kanto
Roof height crusader

First I thought that the ring was just ugly but after seeing these renders I now think it is both ugly and creepy. I wouldn't want that thing moving up and down above my head. Would be a feeling like standing in an elevator shaft
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #216
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I wish they would scrap the ring and build the towers by themselves.

That is, if they choose this design to begin with.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #217
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

For the hundredth time, it is unbelievably unlikely the ring will be built. I don't how many times to say it. Those renderings are more to show how the Municipal Arts Society of NY and architects and urban planners hope to pedestrianize the area around GCT in time for East Midtown's rezoning, and the subsequent increase in office workers and commuters that the rezoning and East Side Access will no doubt bring. The towers are placeholders. The ring is a vision, like colonizing the far depths of space.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #218
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

The idea is nice and the towers look amazing. But wouldn't a simple skywalk moving up and down be so much better? Than I'd approve this.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #219
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

These towers must be well over 300 meter, probably closer to 400.
Without ring they would already be a great addition to the skyline.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #220
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Based on this render I'd say their height is little more higher than the pinnacle of the Chrysler Building. Approximately like 3WTC (327 meters)

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall