daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ŧ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #2301
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Today it was the Ground Breaking ceremony, with the attendance of the developers and the Mayor De Blasio.
Regarding the height, the forist Otie, at YIMBY forums, is doing a detailed 3D model of the building. According to him, it will be 1401 ft to the crown with 68 floors. Plus 100 ft of spire to reach 1501 ft. I don't know. I think we can say his information is almost-official.

Using the model I posted bellow, taken from the YIMBY article, I can count 77 apparent floors, that is including the false floors at the crown.
the first two mecanichal floors would be 12th and 13th. Then the next two mecanichal floors, 33rd and 34th, next two 47th and 48th, and the last two, 58th and 59th. Then two more floors which I guess are the observation deck, those would be 60th and 61st. And counting the apparent floors at the crown, the top of the crown would be the equivalent of the level 77.

The post of OTIE ayt YIMBY forums where he states that and shows the crown for the model he is doing
http://www.yimbyforums.com/t/new-yor...floors/207/520
http://www.yimbyforums.com/t/new-yor...floors/207/524

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/10/grou...town-east.html

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/10/grou...town-east.html

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #2302
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I really love this tower, but i feel like vibrancy at street level will suffer from this tower. It will have one bank , the lobby and a subway entrance at ground level, which will not attracts as myn people as the previous shops that were there, creating a more sterile effect around GTC. Sadly they didnīt integrate small shops in the base, around the lobby and subway entrance, enhancing life around the tower. On the other hand, the improved public transdport part that goes along with this tower, is a huge pro. In the end, you canīt have it all.
Old October 19th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #2303
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I really love this tower, but i feel like vibrancy at street level will suffer from this tower. It will have one bank , the lobby and a subway entrance at ground level, which will not attracts as myn people as the previous shops that were there, creating a more sterile effect around GTC. Sadly they didnīt integrate small shops in the base, around the lobby and subway entrance, enhancing life around the tower. On the other hand, the improved public transdport part that goes along with this tower, is a huge pro. In the end, you canīt have it all.
The big picture, though, is the initial pedestrianization of Vanderbilt - to be followed by a full pedestrian mall and complementary improvements in Grand Central; ultimately to include the viaduct, at some point.

While the ground floor retail is to be at the corner of 42nd and Madison, I don't really see the area being less utilized than it is today: hardly anyone actually does anything there but walks through. At the very least, having adequate space to sit will be an improvement, particularly as overflow for GCT and as workers in 1 Vanderbilt. More retail will follow, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

Old October 19th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2304
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc15 View Post
It is 1501ft http://onevanderbilt.com/ yo go to this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Dude. Do you have some difficulty with the concept of conflicting sources? If you check out the One Vanderbilt Instagram Feed there is no mention anywhere of 1,501 ft., only 1,401 -- and that's without bringing up NYYimby's reporting, in which SL Green insists the floor count has been cut from 67 to 58.

Picking and choosing only the sources that confirm your desires is frankly pretty juvenile. And lambasting other forum members by repeating your assumptions with your fingers in your ears is as intellectually dishonest as it is rude.
My source for the height reduction was YIMBY, who is very good at giving us accurate and up to date information. We are talking about a 100 feet height reduction. Not the end of the world. This tower will alter the skyline and is in a prime spot. I don't think this will be the last either. Especially with the city's push to rezone that area for taller towers.

I'm waiting for a China-style supertall that approaches a mega tall. I'm talking about a 1900 foot roof height type tower. Dare to dream, right?

Last edited by ABQ_X-PAT; October 19th, 2016 at 04:30 PM.
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #2305
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
My source for the height reduction was YIMBY, who is very good at giving us accurate and up to date information. We are talking about a 100 feet height reduction. Not the end of the world. This tower will alter the skyline and is in a prime spot. I don't think this will be the last either. Especially with the city's push to rezone that area for taller towers.

I'm waiting for a China-style supertall that approaches a mega tall. I'm talking about a 1900 foot roof height type tower. Dare to dream, right?
Dont tell me that we lose a 1501ft now

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:52 AM   #2306
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

The angle the tower is seen from in that plastic model above is the one this makes most sense seen from. From some angles the tower doesn't make much sense but from that one you can see the harmony between the different parts and slopes.

Someone should start a thread about skyscrapers which look good from some angles and bad from others. There are quite a few examples.

57th&1st, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #2307
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post

1,500' is a psychological barrier. That's like telling someone a drop from 300m to 298m is "only 2m"

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #2308
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

KPF switched to 1401'

http://www.kpf.com/projects/one-vanderbilt
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #2309
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

That's a real bummer. It's still a pretty good size, it'll be slightly taller than the ESB, but it won't dominate the skyline as I hoped.
But again I'm looking forward to what the Midtown East rezoning will produce, 1 Vandy probably would've been surpassed by one of those upcoming towers anyway.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:51 AM   #2310
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Unfortunately it was economic reasons, this skyscraper boom is heading towards the end and there probably just was not the demand for 1.8 million sqft of office space

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:07 PM   #2311
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Unfortunately it was economic reasons, this skyscraper boom is heading towards the end and there probably just was not the demand for 1.8 million sqft of office space
Well, it's a 100ft reduction, though...how dramatically can it affect the square footage? It would appear to me most of the reconfiguration likely occurred in the crown/observation deck rather than the tower, itself.

In any case, there's also plenty of demand for office space, in Midtown, particularly: vacancies are low and rents are high. Some of these dynamics are actually why the WTC has had trouble leasing, because they're asking more $ per square foot than space that's been coming online, elsewhere in the city.

WSJ

As with the luxury supertalls, when they talk about the market softening, they're really talking about the peculiar circumstances that make the projects attractive to investors/financiers no longer being aligned (e.g. 432 Park is tall in order to maximize the number of units, which in turn provides the returns needed to justify what was spent to acquire the property, demolish the Drake Hotel, and to build the tower).

In other words, they're talking about diminishing returns [on investment]. When they talk about the bottom falling out of that segment of the market, they're really talking about there being very few properties left with developable rights to build similar projects, in locations that would justify the rents/sales prices to make it worthwhile: not a bubble, as seems to be making the rounds, here.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM   #2312
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

The facade reminds me of the Bloomberg tower.

Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:15 PM   #2313
Tower Dude

phoenixboi08 then why cut the tower so dramatically?

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:26 PM   #2314
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
phoenixboi08 then why cut the tower so dramatically?
I think that's a little over stated. 1401 vs 1501 is barely noticeable. The basic shape of the tower is unchanged.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:26 AM   #2315
Tower Dude

Fair enough it's a psychological distinction and I'm just a bit up set about it.

Old October 24th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #2316
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Hasn't this tower always been 1401 ft to the roof and 1501 to the top of the spire?

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:46 AM   #2317
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 26002

what gorgeous model scale

djole13, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Zaz965 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #2318
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I just hope that Roosevelt hotel is safe. It needs to be added to protected list

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #2319
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

I agree. It's boxy and doesn't have any elegance; and if there's one thing a tall building should be able to pull off by its very nature, it's elegance. The top is particularly egregious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmark View Post
i am not fond of this buildings design at all. i looks bulky, tastelessly corpulent and devoid of any elegance or design originality. with all those elegant and lovely tall buildings going up near the Central Park, what is the excuse for this pile of mass? quite disappointing.

Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #2320
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 32959

wow! this would one of NYC's iconics.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall