daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #221
nickguar

Likes (Received): 10

What are the names of these two proposals? There's the skywalk one... and what's the other one? I send to prefer that one, though I am against all that foliage.
nickguar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #222
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22536

they are both proposals for the redevelopment of the Grand Central Terminal area. No names, only adresses. The two tower proposal probably won't be able to happen until after the rezoning is passed.
This is 51 E 42nd, which has massive air rights even without the new zoning regulations

it's also the tower to the left here

[IMG]http://i48.************/2lnbssw.jpg[/IMG]
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #223
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

In 20 years, this area will be amazing.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #224
LoveAgent.
Need new name...

Likes (Received): 259

Here is a small article about the project with new renders from Architizer News.
--> http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog...r-som-and-wxy/

Quote:
Grand Central Terminal, The Next 100 Years: Schemes By Foster, SOM, And WXY

Have you ever seen Grand Central Terminal at rush hour? It’s a proverbial rat race. Thousands of people are running, pushing, zipping in and out of crowds and lines, and past the crowded platform to squeeze into their train. That’s because Grand Central was designed for 75,000 daily visitors, not the millions it actually sees. The 2012 Municipal Arts Society Summit asked Foster + Partners, SOM, and WXY Architecture to redevelop “the next 100 years” of the historical terminal, focusing on elevating the “civic realm.” All three firms presented their designs yesterday, some, like SOM’s rotating, ferris wheel-like proposal more wonky than the others, like Foster’s more restrained outdoor public plaza.

Foster + Partners created a foot-friendly plan that would tackle the flow of people, public spaces, and most importantly, congestion. The resultant scheme completely pedestrianizes the underused Vanderbilt Avenue on the building’s west side. The foot-friendly area will feature new cafes, parks, public art, and may even serve as a new civic space for meetings and events.

The plan also extends circulation paths to give commuters a little more breathing room. Wider sidewalks around the perimeter of the building, larger subway entrances, and even stretched concourses inside will give commuters, tourists, and busy New Yorkers a chance to share the beautiful space without knocking into each other.

SOM architects dreamt up an incredible hovering circular walkway that dangled between two skyscrapers. While not an entirely effective way to battle crowding, it certainly redistributes visitors, keeping those who want to gawk out of commuters ways.

Last edited by LoveAgent.; October 19th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
LoveAgent. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #225
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Actually that ring would be an instant new must-see if build. But as is said before, very unlikely. At least in this form, which is almost impossible to construct.
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #226
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
they are both proposals for the redevelopment of the Grand Central Terminal area. No names, only adresses. The two tower proposal probably won't be able to happen until after the rezoning is passed.
This is 51 E 42nd, which has massive air rights even without the new zoning regulations

it's also the tower to the left here

[IMG]http://i48.************/2lnbssw.jpg[/IMG]
Excuse me maybe for offtopic, but way cant they start building this project before the midtown rezoning? And what is midtown rezoning at all?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #227
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

NYC has a building-code called "FAR" (Floor Area Ratio). It has an index for each plot in the grid. The FAR number, for instance 20 simply says, you are allowed to build up to 20 times as much usable space, as the plot your building is situated on. Adjacent plots which don´t use all their FAR are allowed to sell them to developers of neighboring plots, to allow them to build taller. Currently the FAR regulation in said area allows rational office towers of up to a height of aproximately 260m. The upscaling or "rezoning" will higher the FAR on proposed plots, and allow developers to build more usable space or simply taller.

Also this development requires a redevelopment and addition of the existing transportation-system, and a refreshing of the pedestrian flow, parking space etc. to accomodate the higher number of commuters, residents and allow people to experience the city as something grand and beautiful. Furthermore bike lanes are considered, as the layering of the infrastructure. (Foster proposal for the new Grand Central area)

I hope i could help you properly.

Last edited by germantower; October 19th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
germantower está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #228
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
If you would have taken a closer look at the two said towers, you would have realized that the towers have individual designs, therefore said towers aren´t TWINS.
Oh my... I can't believe I didn't see the difference. In that case, I love the design minus the ring. Great contrast in the designs!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #229
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Oh my... I can't believe I didn't see the difference. In that case, I love the design minus the ring. Great contrast in the designs!
Haha, shit happens.

I kinda like them both and even the ring. It´s something unusualk and futuristic.
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #230
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

It would be amazing to be in but horrible to look at from afar. Just imagine it at dusk in a silhouette. Horrible.

Is the one on the left Foster's? And could the two get built without the ring?
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #231
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28174

Being 300 m up inside that ring is just insane.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #232
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

There could not be more confusion about the renderings people are posting.

Again, the towers shown are NOT real proposals, they are merely place holders to demonstrate what COULD be built if the rezoning does get approved. This thread is dedicated to 51 East 42nd St, which is where the building with the X bracing is shown in the rendering.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #233
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
i like how tall this idea is, considering the tip of esb is 1454 feet.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #234
nickguar

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
i like how tall this idea is, considering the tip of esb is 1454 feet.
Height and design, yes. Trees and ledges, nah. But considering none of these are actual proposals, it doesn't matter. I too would like to see something this tall (and similar) at this site.

This site seems to be the perfect place for the city's tallest structure. If so, I want it to surpass WTC 1's spire, so there's no arguments.
nickguar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #235
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
Height and design, yes. Trees and ledges, nah. But considering none of these are actual proposals, it doesn't matter. I too would like to see something this tall (and similar) at this site.

This site seems to be the perfect place for the city's tallest structure. If so, I want it to surpass WTC 1's spire, so there's no arguments.
yea thas what i mean i dont like those ledges lol i wouldnt mind the actual building without those, but it kind of give us an idea of what some of the actual proposals might be like
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #236
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22536

One or two outdoor observation decks would be nice, but not this many ledges. Though it does make the design unique
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #237
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Www.vision42.org

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #238
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

This is gonna be soo awesome if this gets build! Would love standing in that ring going up! The views will be gorgeous!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #239
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I don't like the ledges. I think if they wanted to add trees they should have made setbacks instead of ledges
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #240
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I hate that render too. If there is one thing I hate as much as gaudy, colorful buildings, it's buildings with trees on them. It looks so awful. Trump is the only building not ruined by them, but I wish they weren't there.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall