daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:18 AM   #2421
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
It looks like about two months to finish the concrete shell, after they finish digging the foundation and then it will start rising towards street level.
That would be very quick, but the progress is good.

Federation2014 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #2422
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

This was posted April 3 on the NYC Buildings website (click here for the full document):

McSky, Vito Corleone, SMCYB, nylkoorB, Munwon and 5 others liked this post
57th&1st no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #2423
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Can somebody please explain the meaning of the diagrams showing different heights and labelled "envelope encroachment"? Thanks.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #2424
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

The right diagrams show what the maximum zoning that this plot allows , the left ones show what SL Green has proposed to build.
Old April 12th, 2017, 04:22 AM   #2425
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25041

From SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
April 11, 2017

A long way behind sister building 30 Hudson, but with no less intent to rise...

Old April 16th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #2426
TramQuattro

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
This was posted April 3 on the NYC Buildings website (click here for the full document):
So this means that the shape of what is being built was actually given by the maximum permitted volume to be built in the plot?
TramQuattro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #2427
ballom

Likes (Received): 87

http://ny.eater.com/2017/4/17/153307...one-vanderbilt

Quote:
Famed chef-restaurateur Daniel Boulud has signed on to open a humongous new restaurant and private dining space in supertall Midtown skypscraper One Vanderbilt. Steve Cuozzo at the Post reports that the French culinary mogul will be taking over an 11,000-square-foot ( 1.000 m² ) space in the tower, which is expected to open in 2020.

The restaurant run by Boulud’s company Dinex will be on the second floor at Vanderbilt Avenue and East 42nd Street, with more than 100 seats and at least 50 more for private events. An outpost of grab-and-go restaurant Epicerie will be on the ground floor, along with an 110-feet-high ceiling and “a bar that will seem to be ‘floating in space’,” according to the Post.
Who want to reserve a seat for the grand opening?

Not me, i'm not poor , but not rich
ballom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #2428
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by TramQuattro View Post
So this means that the shape of what is being built was actually given by the maximum permitted volume to be built in the plot?
Form follows disfunction.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #2429
nasa35

Likes (Received): 563

Is it just me? But isn't this as ugly as hell?

Memo840, gedoogbeleid liked this post
nasa35 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #2430
412lakes

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
I agree, if the cladding isn't spectacular this could be a big ugh on a beautiful skyline. This structure seems too heavy and clumsy for the area imho. The new slender residential towers are more to my taste.
412lakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #2431
Memo840
Chilango Mango ;)

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
I don't think it is ugly as hell, but i dont find this design to be groundbreaking or even awesome, seems pretty standard especially after WTC and Hudson yards.

Steinway tower i find much more appealing.

New yorkers feel free to rip me apart over this.
Memo840 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #2432
germantower
i ♥ NY

I like the design of this tower, but it had to be stretched and made thinner and taller to appear more elegant. That´s the only thing that i dislike about it. And i am "upset" about the height cut.

goodybear, gedoogbeleid liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #2433
streetscapeer
hmmm......

One Vanderbilt Moves toward Vertical Construction

Business Wire
April 20, 2017

Quote:
SL Green Realty Corp. today announced several construction milestones in the development of One Vanderbilt Avenue, all of which demonstrate significant progress toward vertical construction on the 1,401-foot Midtown Manhattan tower soon to rise at the doorstep of Grand Central Terminal.

One Vanderbilt’s construction manager AECOM Tishman has executed a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) contract, which includes the procurement of more than 25,000 tons of domestically-fabricated structural steel from Banker Steel Company, a Virginia-based steel fabrication firm, and secured a New Building Permit from the New York City Department of Buildings.

“This series of milestones represents the most tangible sign yet that a new era in Midtown East is close at hand,” said Marc Holliday, SL Green’s Chief Executive Officer. “Not only will Manhattan’s skyline soon be getting a spectacular new addition utilizing 100 percent union labor, but the experience of going to work in Midtown East will improve dramatically. Along with our joint venture partners—the National Pension Service of Korea and Hines—we’re very much looking forward to beginning the next phase of this progress that will shape New York’s future.”

Vertical construction for the 1.7 million-square-foot, 58-floor building is slated to begin in early May. In February, workers poured 4,200 cubic yards of concrete into the foundation at One Vanderbilt, which marked the largest single continuous pour in New York City history. Banker Steel will be erecting steel that is fabricated at plants located in South Plainfield, New Jersey and Lynchburg, Virginia. Steel erection is scheduled to begin July, 2017.

“We build New York’s most iconic projects and recognizable buildings that transform the skyline. There isn’t a better example of that than SL Green’s visionary One Vanderbilt,” said Jay Badame, President of AECOM Tishman. “As we move toward vertical construction in May, our team is looking forward to New York’s next great address rising from the ground.”

Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF) Associates, One Vanderbilt will encompass an entire city block, bounded by Madison and Vanderbilt Avenues to the west and east, and East 43rd and East 42nd Streets to the north and south. Expected to achieve LEED Gold under version 4.0, the trophy tower will feature floor-to-ceiling slab heights ranging from 14'6" to 20', column-free floorplates, and stunning 360-degree views through floor-to-ceiling windows. It will also include a package of modern office amenities unrivaled in New York City, including a 30,000-square-foot tenant-only amenity floor and outdoor terrace.

In partnership with celebrated Chef Daniel Boulud, One Vanderbilt will offer a world-class 11,000 square-foot restaurant as well as private dining opportunities for tenants of the building. Immediately adjacent to one of the city’s key transit hubs, the building will create direct connections to the Grand Central transit network, which SL Green will improve through $220 million in public transit upgrades.

Construction is expected to be complete in 2020.

gaab1972, lwetli liked this post
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:06 AM   #2434
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Some nice, high res, pictures in the dropbox link in above article.

17th April:

Pictures made by Max Touhey, SL Green

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:24 AM   #2435
412lakes

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Omg, what is in the water in Minnesota lol?
I'm a retired union ironworker and have had a part in building towers across the USA. Some are good design, some not so much. This one is a clunker imo. I think my unbiased and clear thinking may be a result of the clean abundant sparkling waters of Minnesota!

Marco Polo liked this post
412lakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:39 AM   #2436
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Good pics. Always nice to see a big hole.

Anything built to this scale and in this location has to be interesting. I'm not a fan of the design but renders often don't capture the full impact of a building so it may transcend itself.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:02 AM   #2437
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412lakes View Post
I'm a retired union ironworker and have had a part in building towers across the USA. Some are good design, some not so much. This one is a clunker imo. I think my unbiased and clear thinking may be a result of the clean abundant sparkling waters of Minnesota!
That's great, you're more than welcome to your opinion. I just thought it was a funny coincidence that we had three people who were not so keen on the design in a row and they were all from Minnesota lol

Especially since most people like the design, I think

gaab1972 liked this post
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:50 AM   #2438
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412lakes View Post
I agree, if the cladding isn't spectacular this could be a big ugh on a beautiful skyline. This structure seems too heavy and clumsy for the area imho. The new slender residential towers are more to my taste.

It is too clunky, especially next go that beautifully slender MetLife building.

I love how you guys announce that you prefer the shape of the ultra thin residential towers' for a giant office building, as if it was even an option.

It's like complaining that subway cars don't look like Lamborghinis.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:35 AM   #2439
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I like the design of this tower, but it had to be stretched and made thinner and taller to appear more elegant. That´s the only thing that i dislike about it. And i am "upset" about the height cut.
Yeah. The height cut was tragic. I think the tower is too stubby and the crown is still pretty ugly. So I would rate this tower as average among New York's supertalls. It's certainly no Steinway or Verre.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:44 AM   #2440
germantower
i ♥ NY

I used to hate 432 p av. when it was revealed, i love it now. So lets wait for the final built result i would say.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall