daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #261
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I'm confused. I thought this project was a 2 supertall complex with a supertall adjacent to Grand Central at each side. For some reason though, I keep hearing 1 supertall. Is this project 1 or 2 supertalls?
The rendering depicts a vision of the redevelopment of the GCT area. This site is for one supertall.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #262
KamT
Filmmaker

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
There's no information about the height of this structure, but between the rezoning and the small foot print, it will easily exceed 300m.
Two Questions.

1. Can someone explain rezoning to me? What it is? How it works?
2. How does a small footprint assure it's going to be a tall tower? So the smaller the footprint the taller? I know I'm exaggerating but someone explain that to me too! :P
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #263
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I'm confused. I thought this project was a 2 supertall complex with a supertall adjacent to Grand Central at each side. For some reason though, I keep hearing 1 supertall. Is this project 1 or 2 supertalls?
The renderings shown were mere concepts. That being said, the other parcel shown in the renderings is occupied by a hotel with lots of air rights, and therefore, a supertall will rise there too eventually. The Midtown rezoning will result in the construction of many supertalls over time.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #264
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The massive air rights from these institutions will lead to more supertalls.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/11/...t-flexibility/

Midtown holy houses preach air right flexibility
November 26, 2012 09:30AM

From left: St. Patrick’s Cathedral, St. Bartholomew’s Church and Central Synagogue

A plan to rezone Midtown East and fuel new development in the area even has the pious licking their lips. Three Midtown East houses of worship – St. Patrick’s Cathedral, St. Bartholomew’s Church and Central Synagogue — want to sell some 2 million square feet of air space above their landmarked buildings, a commodity that could be worth nearly $400 million, according to Crain’s....
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #265
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

This and Tower Verre are the best locations for supertall development in my opinion. The areas are loaded with soaring office towers.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #266
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

NY will be a city of supertalls in 10 years
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #267
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

If everything goes according to plan, by 2020 New York's average pinnacle height of its 10 tallest buildings will be right around 1,370. That's nearly a 100 foot lead on Dubai, which should be second.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #268
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

some of KPF's completed and future icons - pics from KPF's website

Shanghai WFC, 492m

Hong Kong, ICC, 484m

Shenzhen - Pingan Financial Center, 660m

Seoul, Lotte World Tower, 555m

Guangzhou, The Chou Tai Fook Tower, 530m

and of course right here in NYC, Hudson Yards North Office Tower, 407m
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #269
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Yes, KPF seems to be the only firm that can rival SOM. I can't decide which I like better!
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #270
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

my favs of there work is the swfc the chou tai fook tower and the hudson yards north tower
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #271
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I can't even decide on that! I need to be more decisive...
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #272
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

KPF's buildings are true masterpieces (except for the Hudson Yards, which I think are too fat), I'm very happy they were chosen to design this building
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #273
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
If everything goes according to plan, by 2020 New York's average pinnacle height of its 10 tallest buildings will be right around 1,370. That's nearly a 100 foot lead on Dubai, which should be second.
i see i am not the only one calculating future CAHTT scores
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #274
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

If you want to take New York's roof height average, it's still higher than Dubai's pinnacle height average. With 225 W 57th being 1,550 feet, it's roof height average will be ~1,285 feet, and pinnacle ~1,395 feet.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #275
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
If you want to take New York's roof height average, it's still higher than Dubai's pinnacle height average. With 225 W 57th being 1,550 feet, it's roof height average will be ~1,285 feet, and pinnacle ~1,395 feet.
dubai is not the only competitor though, what about shenzhen and tianjin, shenzhen has like 4 buildings over 500m proposed, if they all would get built i am pretty sure it would be close between the top cities. so only future can tell, but i am rather doubtful that new york will climb back to the top of the CAHTT scores in the next years. if all the proposals are built however and 2WTC continues it may though.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #276
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I realize this, and I did the stats for NY, HK, Chicago, Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou, but Shenzhen was only 5th if I recall correctly at ~1,195 feet. (Not counting Caiwuwei. With Caiwuwei, it's ~1,330.) I'll post the list in an hour or so .

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; November 27th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #277
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
I realize this, and I did the stats for NY, HK, Chicago, Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou, but Shenzhen was only 5th if I recall correctly. I'll post the list in an hour or so.
did you use a specific year or just all proposals around, because i find that american buildings seem to be proposed earlier (at least people find them proposed earlier) and more of a long time goal. because i can imagine that we have quite a few towers in new york that are proposed now, but supposed to finish in the year 2018 or something and there are some scrapers in shenzhen or guangzhou that are not even proposed now, but finished by then. no way to know for sure, so i think that list only up to like 2015 or 2016 can be semi-precise. after all, for none of these cities you named the future looks grim even though HK and chicago stepped a bit down on the craze for now.
hope this websites gets updated to 2012 soon though.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #278
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Yeah, Hong Kong will be last on that list to the pinnacle if nothing develops soon. (It will be second to last by roof height just ahead of Chicago.) I haven't calculated the late-breaking news of a megatall redevelopment at the Spire's site into this, and I don't count any buildings on-hold except for 2WTC, because it must be built in memoriam (It won't be cancelled). I didn't include ones like Burj-al-Alam.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #279
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Yeah, Hong Kong will be last on that list to the pinnacle if nothing develops soon. (It will be second to last by roof height just ahead of Chicago.) I haven't calculated the late-breaking news of a megatall redevelopment at the Spire's site into this, and I don't count any buildings on-hold except for 2WTC, because it must be built in memoriam (It won't be cancelled). I didn't include ones like Burj-al-Alam.
is their a link for that? i'd like to read about it
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #280
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
i think Burj Al Alam is dead pretty much. 2WTC is my favorite building in New York, so it better gets built

also do not forget to calculate tianjin's and wuhan's scores. as of today they are very low, but we all have seen the vast craneland pictures of tianjin and all the ambitious plans that go with it.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall