daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ŧ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #321
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i like the shape a lot, but the crown looks quite empty, let's hope it is just because of the drawing
I like the shape too but I don't think it is just the drawing that makes the crown empty. I think that it really is going to be that empty

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #322
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I laughed at all those dreamers who predicted a 2k footer here.
lol right there was all this hype for this one, and its probably not going to be taller then 225 west 57th lol, i like the design but disappointing in height lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #323
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

height looks around 350m to spire for me.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #324
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

Instead of complaining about such a crown, people should realize the potential it has for lets say, a restaurant or bar within it. With breathtaking views of the crown itself, within the crown, and of course the city.

Also, early concepts always look strange, and i bet that this towers evolution will result in something awe inspiring. Furthermore, a city canīt get just attention screaming towers. A skyline has to have a harmonic and coherent appeal. Or it ends up as a desaster like some cities in asia.

I am looking very forward for the end result.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #325
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope that the tip of the spire will be lower than 225 West. I'd really hate if for the first time since 1930 a cheater would be the tallest building in the city
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #326
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Instead of complaining about such a crown, people should realize the potential it has for lets say, a restaurant or bar within it. With breathtaking views of the crown itself, within the crown, and of course the city.

Also, early concepts always look strange, and i bet that this towers evolution will result in something awe inspiring. Furthermore, a city canīt get just attention screaming towers. A skyline has to have a harmonic and coherent appeal. Or it ends up as a desaster like some cities in asia.

Well, this tower was supposed to be 'iconic' in order to get approved. To me this isn't iconic at all. Also, those futuristic concept renders pointed at something more groundbreaking rather than retro. Although people love the old art-deco massing and tapered spire, isn't it time we moved on from that? I really liked that slanting proposal and I'm annoyed that they went safe and classic.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #327
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
From all those concept renders that were so futuristic and we end up with this? I really doubt this tower is 'iconic' enough for this site. Looks incredibly average.
None of those conceptual renderings were done by KPF, plus of the two applicable to this site one looked exactly like Hearst Tower but taller, and the other looked like Beeker from the Muppets except with green hair.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #328
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
height looks around 350m to spire for me.
to me it looks taller then taht lol maybe im wrong because im looking at the chrysler building and comparing it which probally isn't smart lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #329
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
None of those conceptual renderings were done by KPF, plus of the two applicable to this site one looked exactly like Hearst Tower but taller, and the other looked like Beeker from the Muppets except with green hair.
I thought KPF did the slanted proposal, my mistake. Anyway, I'm now annoyed that KPF won.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #330
germantower
i ♥ NY

What we got is still a very early conceptual drawing. Keep in mind how the Hudson Yards towers evolved over time. The sketches just show a basic idea with which KPF is working. Be patient and give them time, and they will deliver what you expect.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #331
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something EPIC for this project, by what they were talking about. Well, for this "rendering", apparently the building does not look like more than 400 meters. But anyway the design is great, though I was expecting something more icon here. But I liked it, just think it could be better.

The problem is to wait 5 years to see something start to be built here. Until then I'll distract myself with other projects: 432 Park Avenue, and 225 west 57th street.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #332
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

@germantower Yeah, what we have is basically a sketch done on the back of a napkin. These are about as generic a set of renderings as possible, it basically just shows the crown/spire element.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #333
germantower
i ♥ NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
@germantower Yeah, what we have is basically a sketch done on the back of a napkin. These are about as generic a set of renderings as possible, it basically just shows the crown/spire element.
Yeah, now they have to work around with it, to transform the basic and key elements to something iconic.

Also, this is just ONE out of several blocks which will be redeveloped under the rezoning. There is no need to hurry things IMO.
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #334
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I don't want an epic design tower that screams for attention next to the station and more important the Chrysler building.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #335
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I'd like folks in this thread to think back to the original Hudson Yards renderings, and then to the newest renders from MIR. I think this building will be stunning in later, more detailed releases.
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #336
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
so what do you think the height is in the drawing?
Probably 350m.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; December 4th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #337
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
from ssp
It's more than twice the height of 330 Madison, which is 550 feet tall.

It's good to be the financial capital.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #338
Lodgy Lion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

It's good to be the WORLD capital.
FYP, R-Dub.

This is an unbelievable time in NYC.
Lodgy Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #339
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post

That would be nice, but I doubt such a restaurant/bar will be proposed. Crown is probably for mechanical equipment.
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #340
germantower
i ♥ NY

I doubt they will place mechanical equipment in a lattice work crown. It would look awkward to have equipment in such an open structure high above the city, seeable in the skyline. This box in the crown, could be the best spot in Manhattan for such an amnenity. Just let your fanatsy fly and imagine what gigantic potential this early proposal has. They could lit the crown in a subtle white light, with the cube in blue, and since this is an office tower, the entire facade could have a sophisticated LED show.
[IMG]http://i46.************/2m6pnx3.png[/IMG]

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall