daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Great news! NYC is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Yes. Unfortunately, two pre-War towers will come down though.
Such is reality but if they're small and aging I don't really see the big deal, as long as they don't demolish the chrysler building for example, t'is the cycle of life. If a 300+ meter building can come of it, then it's worth it.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #22
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Talking about that, wouldn't the demolition of these old towers stir up a lot of opposition?
Unfortunately not. Buildings far more beautiful than this have been razed in NYC in recent years. It's quite sad.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #23
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
...This proposal is total alpha.
Very well said.

It's impossible to imagine a more prime spot for a commercial building. I would imagine there are a handful of tenants already drooling over this tower.

RW, I would imagine a UBS would want something with huge trading floors which this can't really have given the size of the site. Their facility in Stanford has the largest trading floors in the world, and given that they nearly anchored 3 WTC, I'd imagine that has some importance. But you know all this, ha.

And I think Kanto asked if there was really this much demand for new office space, in short yes. The mere fact that companies are even considering moving to the Hudson Yards which doesn't have nearly the mass transit, or brand name appeal of what is traditionally midtown Manhattan says a lot.

Look through a list of companies headquartered in NY. Almost none of them are in buildings that were built after 1970.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #24
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Very well said.

It's impossible to imagine a more prime spot for a commercial building. I would imagine there are a handful of tenants already drooling over this tower.

RW, I would imagine a UBS would want something with huge trading floors which this can't really have given the size of the site. Their facility in Stanford has the largest trading floors in the world, and given that they nearly anchored 3 WTC, I'd imagine that has some importance. But you know all this, ha.

And I think Kanto asked if there was really this much demand for new office space, in short yes. The mere fact that companies are even considering moving to the Hudson Yards which doesn't have nearly the mass transit, or brand name appeal of what is traditionally midtown Manhattan says a lot.

Look through a list of companies headquartered in NY. Almost none of them are in buildings that were built after 1970.
I wasn't suggesting that UBS would relocate to this tower since the footprint is quite small.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #25
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

It looks like Midtown will indeed be getting that 300m plateau in the near future
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #26
Jay

even more than 300 meters
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #27
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blond Guy View Post
If they're going to demolish these pre-war beauties, than it better be one hell of a tower.
I'd prefer one with a stone facade, a bit like the future 99 church street/30 park place.

Here's a crazy idea: a 300 meter tall version of the Singer building!
We can only dream.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #28
Jay

Oh god no, Singer building was horrible looking!

Plus it seems like they're trying to go quite a bit above 300 meters with this one, or at least are hoping to.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #29
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Singer Building was a really beautiful skyscraper, it's a pity they destroyed it!

Just my two cents here....and now back to topic.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #30
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

If they allow this one to go over 1200 feet w/o any special aproval, so close to the Chrysler, then the comlaining against Tower verre and its proximity to the ESB blaaaah is utter BS by Burden.
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #31
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

And I hope they will allow it

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #32
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I'm not a fan of the singer building. Bringing it back isn't a great idea.
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #33
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

even if they did it should be downtown
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #34
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Talking about that, wouldn't the demolition of these old towers stir up a lot of opposition?
Depending on the final design of the tower. All people care about is the appearance of the facade, and could care less what the interior looks like. Well maybe except the lobby. If they present a glass box then, most likely there will be opposition, but if they unveil something with some stone work, then opposition will be subdued alittle.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #35
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

This is an interesting time right now for NYC. There is a chance that 20 years from now we will be staring at a skyline that is unchallenged, something that people stare at with wonder. But there is also a chance that every one of these buildings could be as dull and boring as 432 park, and it could kill the skyline. Lets hope for the best.
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #36
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Unbelievable, excellent news. This place is fantastic to build a super tall building. He will have a privileged view to the side of Metlife.

I would be satisfied with a building of 320 meters for this site, but if something bigger comes, the better.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #37
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Possibly another 1400ft+ building for NY. Once all those 1000 footers are built (by the end of 2020) it's time to really build an iconic tower, i.e. a 2000ft megatall.

Zaz965 liked this post
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #38
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I 1000% agree with you, all of these new supertalls need a leader in the skyline

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #39
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

it'd be nice to see a neo art deco supertall in Manhattan somewhere.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #40
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Apparently this will be the new icon of NY... gg 1WTC lol.

Found by NYGuy over at SSP...

By Edward V. Piccinich:

Quote:
The site is comprised of 4 distinct building lots on a single block with the Grand Central terminal being our direct neighbor to the east. In order to move forward with our concept of creating a signature tower, we performed a zoning lot merger on the block. The total area following demolition will yield an acre of land to create our footprint to place our state-of-the-art structure in Manhattan.....

Some of the prestigious properties are considered as inspiration prior to us engaging a world-class architect, including the Burj in Dubai, Mori Tower in Tokyo, the ICC Tower in Hong Kong, the World Financial Center in Shanghai and the Petronas Towers. I began building my itinerary and scheduling appointments to visit the buildings in order to perform full inspections of each of these properties. With each being revered for its own brand of uniqueness in terms of infrastructure, technology, environmental, sustainability, I felt I would be missing out if I didn't lay my eyes on all these modern marvels of wonder. So to fully appreciate the pioneering design and engineering features, I went to the Burj in Dubai where I had the opportunity to personally visit the spectacular gem.

Upon my return from Dubai, my creative juices started flowing. I could begin even picturing each of my inspirations clearly. Although each have their own aesthetic, I imagine how the lines and the curves of these designs would make a huge impact on the city's skyline. I've thought about how great it would be to construct one of these behemoths, The Tower over Grand Central Terminal.

Zaz965 liked this post
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall