daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:59 AM   #541
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

So I wonder if better renders of at least a base will be coming out.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #542
Gotham_Returns

Likes (Received): 19

The time has come (Well these have been around for awhile now so I finally decided to join the City)

I was at this great presentation! The first 20+ min are ALL about One Vanderbilt Ave; if you wanna see the design & then some, this is the place to look.

Base & Full model at KPF office
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaw...0ae80024_7.jpg

http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws...0ae80c97_7.jpg
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #543
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

exaggerated render? or could it really be this tall? (looks around 400m?)

Just counted the floors - it might 1 or 2 floors out but anyway
-70 from floor to bottom of crown
-17 'floors' in the crown (hopefully an observation deck by the looks of it)

so 87~ floors + spire!

Last edited by iamtheSTIG; October 7th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #544
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

With the spire, this one could break 500m!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #545
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

It seems exaggerated to me, but who knows. That would be phenomenally tall.

Also, while I don't love the design, and had been hoping for something altogether different from the supposed "rough" sketch from many months back, there are a couple things about it I really like now that we've gotten more detail. The base, and its relationship to GCT as explained in the presentation is great, as is all that underground connectedness and functionality.

And, while I'm not totally sold on the aesthetics of the crown, I'm glad it will be occupied, as opposed to an empty cage, as that early sketch seemed to suggest. It's going to be a hell of an observation deck (and maybe more?) with equally staggering views of the ESB, HY and 57th Street Corridor, as well as the rest of the hopefully massive Midtown East.

Edit: Also, anyone have an idea what's going on here?

image hosted on flickr

TowerVerre:), Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; October 7th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #546
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

This could be one of the great public spaces in NYC, with that view of GCS:

A public space up in the crown would be a fantastic vantage point for viewing the Chrysler building and the rest of the skyline, especially as there would be nothing of similar height near 1 Vanderbilt.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #547
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

500 metres is definitely possible here. A great place for me to chill and stare in awe at my favorite building.

iamtheSTIG, #99 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #548
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Great! If you look at the model to the right shows some chinese proposals to the lef of it is the south tower of the hudson yards, if its to scale it looks almost double as tall as the south tower.

MarshallKnight, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #549
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I didn't notice that! Great eye, NYCH!

TowerVerre:) liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #550
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I still think this is a very early version of the design. At least it shows us they are not afraid to go tall (400m+).
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #551
Gotham_Returns

Glad to see everyone is glad & bringing interesting view points to the thread!

I walk by the site daily & I believe the base is just as strong as the crown & will only get better.

The Q&A portion of the presentation was interesting; as of that moment the tower was known to be mostly office with public. Someone commented about why not having mixed-use. And a week later a amendment came out regarding adding residential to the program. So I would say the design is still in development; the model pics are only about 3 weeks old, then again, being a Architecture student who just finished his thesis on vertical density & being absorbed into high-rise design, I'm sure the design is evolving for the better.

The most important thing I believe is this: One Vanderbilt will be a great addition to the skyline & is a NYC addition into the next level of supertalls.

McSky, TowerVerre:), Funkyskunk2 liked this post
Gotham_Returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #552
Gotham_Returns

I believe, but could be wrong, that is the transition point from the base program towards the office; sky lobby with outdoor terrace perhaps. Its a common NYC zoning mass guess; podium with rooftop terrace (then again there isn't a setback; then again the base design seems to be a setback in itself -_-)

I will add that the base design is "in dialogue with the One Bryant Park tower" ; if you've studied KPF-designs you will see the dialogue, as the base angle is "in dialogue with Grand Central Terminals roof point"

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #553
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Lovely,the multiple observation decks are a great idea.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #554
Gotham_Returns

Yes I agree; Vertical Cities are about bringing people "in"to the design; People then become participates rather than pure occupiers.

I can talk about this all day
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #555
Gotham_Returns

I would also add, in regard to the transition-comment as the answer to the question on the model pic, something to notice about the tower taper.

If you look closely, you can see through the model & get a glimpse of the elevator cores which "taper"; tapers are usually if I recall where elevators "bank-off" or where people transition to another elevator, which can be the reason we have the angle taper.

Usually in a mixed-use the tower tapers in accordance to the different program floor plate efficiency; offices will have a big floor plate (NYC usually 45' from core to curtain wall), residential will have a small floor plate (NYC standard is about 30'-35' from core), hotel will be smaller (maybe 30'), & public are smallest which in turn cost a lot, but that's a whole other discussion

When I visited KPF awhile ago (my professor is a Senior Associate there) the model pics was, as you can see, in a area where they display tons of designs. I think thats where they keep as-of finished designs.

They had the very, very old Hudson Yards design there too. So I think the model of One Vanderbilt is "old" or SD level. If residential IS added, I believe we will see a similar design, just where the angles will taper to acknowledge the residential program; as KPF always design interior/exterior dialogues with the city.

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #556
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Thanks for joining and sharing this with us GR, it has been way too long of a wait to see more detail.

Happy to see the crown is real and not a lattice, and the height looks pretty spectacular. Adding residential sounds great too.

I'm really surprised it looks the same as the concept drawing.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #557
Gotham_Returns

KPF site shows One Vanderbilt sketch on, you know where

http://www.kpf.com/profile.overview.asp

Pages 22-26 on NYC Planning on Midtown Rezoning shows the logic
behind the base mass design; setbacks, ground experience, public
plazas + more
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/eas...tion0313.shtml

Its important to understand the Zoning process, as we are designing livable, walkable cities, then to critique the design, whether you love it (I love it) or not.
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #558
Gotham_Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Thanks for joining and sharing this with us GR, it has been way too long of a wait to see more detail.

Happy to see the crown is real and not a lattice, and the height looks pretty spectacular. Adding residential sounds great too.

I'm really surprised it looks the same as the concept drawing.
Thanks dude. I'm not really surprised it looks like the concept drawing, because honestly, the concept drawing WAS the design to me.

A friend of mine who works at KPF since 2007 has worked on this project from the early stages; I repeat the early stages.

It was a totally TOTALLY different design. It was first, very small. The apex or pointy angled towards Met Life building (which means it was way smaller). The design was very faceted & most of all, the podium was just that, a podium similar in mass to many NYC towers. Design wise it was facet, similar to One Bryant Park's facets angle facade as it goes vertical.

Think of the old design as just that, One Bryant Park facets sitting atop a faceted podium that was full block, instead of integrated with the streetscape above & below as the new design is.

I wish I could post some of the old design pics but alot of them are process models, never really anything finalized as a design. So the "concept drawing" as you see is indeed, in my eyes/ experiences following the process for 2 years, the only DESIGN.

Another way to see things is this (which is how I explained to my wife who is a Doctor & knows nothing about Architectural process other than the little things we designers spend sleepless nights over i.e. Calling my Dr. wife in her hospital "Honey I'm so f-ing nervous about my design option, what do you think if I angle this side of the building inward this way 55 degrees?" Wife- "Umm I'm busy pumping someones heart ..." "This is IMPORTANT honey" LOL

Anyways what I'm getting at is this; getting a design built in NYC is not just about building anything, it will be there hopefully forever & change the skyline & history of the city. Icons. There are tons of designs I don't like, but at the end of the day, leave with a appreciation for something that "is" being built in NYC. Its a tough long process, especially working on a project & having it cancelled then brought back etc. A lot of hard working, talented people work day & night so if the design is not in favor to your taste, at least favor the hard work put into it. Look past the visual, & at the performative AS design. Analytical. Not picturesque.

Although there are times when I see a design & where I'm like, "...Who was responsible for this?" LMAO
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #559
RotoSequence

Likes (Received): 71

A few questions:

What are the dimensions of the 1 Vanderbilt site?
What is the maximum FAR by right at this site? Was it 30, under the rezoning?
What additional development rights have been secured for this tower, if any?
RotoSequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #560
Gotham_Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoSequence View Post
A few questions:

What are the dimensions of the 1 Vanderbilt site?
What is the maximum FAR by right at this site? Was it 30, under the rezoning?
What additional development rights have been secured for this tower, if any?
Dimension I believe are between 200'x200' (typical Manhattan block is 200'x600')

Max FAR by right I believe was 10-12 & can go to 21.4 around GCT area (It is the slide that says "Proposed Density Increase" in the presentation) Yes I believe it is 30.0 under the rezoning but I've heard rumors that it may be 35.0

Development rights I can't speak on, those types of things are closely guarded due to financials. But there will be improvements to transit & public plazas which is great in that area which is heavily congestion. I believe the addition of residential is gonna amp things up.

Read the zoning on NYC Planning, its all there.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall