daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ģ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #561
RotoSequence

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_Returns View Post
Dimension I believe are between 200'x200' (typical Manhattan block is 200'x600')

Max FAR by right I believe was 10-12 & can go to 21.4 around GCT area (It is the slide that says "Proposed Density Increase" in the presentation) Yes I believe it is 30.0 under the rezoning but I've heard rumors that it may be 35.0

Development rights I can't speak on, those types of things are closely guarded due to financials. But there will be improvements to transit & public plazas which is great in that area which is heavily congestion. I believe the addition of residential is gonna amp things up.

Read the zoning on NYC Planning, its all there.
Hmm. If the model on the previous page is 1 Vanderbilt, I'm not sure this tower is going to be spectacularly tall as some here expect, even with the enormous FAR the site offers. The tower's footprint seems to occupy a significant portion of the site all the way up its ~72 floors. While the crown is easily worth 15 floors of additional height, if the model is reliable, and even with 18 feet between each floor, base to spire, I don't think 1. Vanderbilt will go over 1,600 feet. Heck, it might not even reach 1,550.
RotoSequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #562
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_Returns View Post
The time has come (Well these have been around for awhile now so I finally decided to join the City)

I was at this great presentation! The first 20+ min are ALL about One Vanderbilt Ave; if you wanna see the design & then some, this is the place to look.

Base & Full model at KPF office
http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaw...0ae80024_7.jpg

http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws...0ae80c97_7.jpg

At 20:30

Last edited by desertpunk; October 8th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #563
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I don't think that this tower will exceed 1250'.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #564
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Great to see this tower in more detail, however I'm not really enthralled with 1 Vanderbilt Place design. Something about the top. It seems to me the developer and KPF are pretty much set with the look of this tower. IMO, not iconic enough but it's not bad.

1 Vandy in the heart of the city should be iconic and KPF and SL Green should strive to make this the most iconic in the city or at least in the same ball league as Empire State Building. I do believe this will be iconic in a way what it will be doing down at street level and underground of the GC district and I'm very pleased the architects are thinking this way. Striving to give the Rockefeller Center experience just as what is being created in the Hudson Yards.

What I do like is the sheer size of this tower. It looks enormous in height and in width. The observation deck is great too. We will have a healthy option to view Manhattan as this will be 1 of 5 towers to give people a different vantage point of the city.

bozenBDJ, hunser, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #565
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I don't think that this tower will exceed 1250'.
With the spire?

I'll be happy in the 1,350. -1,450 ft range.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #566
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Great! If you look at the model to the right shows some chinese proposals to the lef of it is the south tower of the hudson yards, if its to scale it looks almost double as tall as the south tower.
There's no way that's to scale.
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #567
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
With the spire?

I'll be happy in the 1,350. -1,450 ft range.
Me too, its a good sign this will be tall when they're looking for inspiration from things like SWFC, the Chow Tai Fook in Guangzhou etc.

I think this will be a lovely tower.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #568
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Here's an attempt to draw a line from the top of the Chrysler Building's spire (1,046 feet) to 1 Vanderbilt in the render (making the line parallel to the floor of the latter structure). It looks like there's probably 300 feet or so of 1 Vanderbilt above the line.

Of course, we don't know if this render still reflects the design or approximate size of the proposed tower.

BTW, in the photo of the models in KFP, 1 Vanderbilt is on a very thick platform compared to the Coach Tower model, so even if the two models are to the same scale, the relative heights would be off.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #569
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

This tower looks awesome!

streetscapeer liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #570
Vertical_Gotham

Revealed: KPF’s Towering One Vanderbilt
http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/10/reve...derbilt.html/1

NYNimby brings up a point about the latest proposed change in the zoning that would allow residential spaces into projects that would allow the towers to go much taller.

The residential effect it may have if incorporated into 1 Vandy, is the possibility that the developer may choose to forgo the observation deck. The reason being is the ultra wealthy residents may be adverse to having streams of tourist at their doorstep entering in and out of the premises. I would agree with this assessment.

The deck is my favorite feature of the proposed tower, I'm just wishing for a better design at the top with the spire as it seems a little off for me. I just hope the developer can find a solution to still have an observation deck with the residential element, although imo it's a good problem to have if you can go much taller.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 9th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #571
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Two of the three crowns flow seamlessly from the east and west facades. It's hard to follow that just from the close-up.
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #572
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

With already a few 400 meter towers built or U/C it would be cool if this monster hits 500.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #573
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

It's just occurred to me that NYC could have as many as 5 of these "supertall corridors" in the next decade. 57th, 42nd, 34th, Park Ave and Hudson Blvd. Skylines within skylines. Pardon my french, but that's ******* crazy.

Eric Offereins liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #574
Vertical_Gotham

6 if you call Greenwich Street a corridor w/ Towers 1,2,3 & 4 (near supertall)

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #575
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I like this plan for Vanderbilt with the water features, etc.

http://untappedcities.com/2013/08/19...estrian-plaza/

MarshallKnight, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #576
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I like this plan for Vanderbilt with the water features, etc. http://untappedcities.com/2013/08/19...estrian-plaza/
Yup it's really nice. Hope they make it exactly like that.

IMO, Vanderbilt has been a waste of a street.

I'm loving all the pedestrian plaza's/ parks being created with all these major developments.

From WTC memorial plaza, Hudson blvd park & Phase 2 Park, Hudson Yards plaza, Manhattan West Plaza, 616 1st Ave Park and finally the Vanderbilt Plaza.

I hope this trend continues.

Old October 10th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #577
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Wow another supertall for NYC!! im sure this building will be over 400 meters tall! NYC is booming!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #578
Vertical_Gotham

New Views, Details for KPF's Midtown Giant One Vanderbilt
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...vanderbilt.php

Quote:
Late last year, developer SL Green tapped mega-firm Kohn Pedersen Fox to design an iconic skyscraper for Midtown East, and based on some new renderings spotted by NY YIMBY, it looks like One Vanderbilt is well on its way. Try to see around the blurriness—the images were pulled from a lengthy presentation delivered at the Center for Architecture this summer—and take away the following facts.

1) The tower, located just west of Grand Central on Vanderbilt Avenue between 42nd and 43rd streets, is going to be tall, likely approaching the 1,500-foot mark. Just look at its height in relation to the Chrysler and MetLife buildings. 2) The angular apex of the 1.55-million-square-foot skyscraper, a refreshing departure from typical tapered tops with antennae, is reminiscent of Hudson Yards' architecture, which makes sense given KPF's masterminding role over there. 3) KPF's James von Klemperer envisions it as a "Grand Central West," with lots of pedestrian access to the transit hub. The area's imminent rezoning will allow greater density and traffic to the neighborhood, and KPF's plan includes a large, open public space at the base.
Quote:
At the moment, the crown of One Vanderbilt is meant to be accessible to the public. But when if the rezoning passes, NY YIMBY notes, the building could get even taller, and residential development would be allowed, which might get in the way of the best-laid plans for a public observatory. In short, what we see from these renderings may not be what actually get built, but it's a taste of a major Midtown player on the horizon.

Images from Robert Walpole's post above detailing the pedestrian plaza at Vanderbilt Avenue:
http://untappedcities.com/2013/08/19...estrian-plaza/

Vanderbilt Avenue

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 10th, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #579
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
New Views, Details for KPF's Midtown Giant One Vanderbilt
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...vanderbilt.php

The tower, located just west of Grand Central on Vanderbilt Avenue between 42nd and 43rd streets, is going to be tall, likely approaching the 1,500-foot mark. Just look at its height in relation to the Chrysler and MetLife buildings. 2) The angular apex of the 1.55-million-square-foot skyscraper
A tower approaching 1550 with 1.55 m sq ft will not be a hefty tower as it appears in the renders and the model.

In comparison, the Nordstrom Tower at 1500 ft has about 1.2 m sq ft and we where all saying it's not going to be massive.

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #580
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

Sorry for my ignorance

Is 1 Vanderbilt supposed to replace the tower below circled in red? Was that just a placeholder design? To be honest I prefer the below tower (it seems more sultry and classy whereas this one is subdued and proper) to the newly released rendeers. Regardless though, this new design is nice and another supertall to the tally doesn't hurt

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall