daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #681
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That the south facade along 42nd St slopes back is cool too. I see this design getting modified anyway since they're now permitting residential and hotel use in the rezoned towers.
If they do it will be interesting to see they keep the observation deck. I hope they do.
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #682
RobertWalpole
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,607
Likes (Received): 2508

Apartments starting at 1, 000 feet above the city would be worth a not more than an observation deck, particularly since there will be 4 decks to compete with (e.g., ESB, WTC, HY North, and 30 Rock). I think that the idea of an observation deck always was planNed to be a place-holder.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #683
babybackribs2314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Apartments starting at 1, 000 feet above the city would be worth a not more than an observation deck, particularly since there will be 4 decks to compete with (e.g., ESB, WTC, HY North, and 30 Rock). I think that the idea of an observation deck always was planNed to be a place-holder.
Disagree; I think an obs deck might actually happen here. The zoning has specific language that indicates a desire for new public spaces atop these buildings, including observation decks, and also says that approval is contingent on this aspect of the re-zoning being met.

Given the strong hand of the CPC in the approval of ANY new mega-towers, I think we see several new observation decks in these towers, whether they have residential or not. Just because residential supertalls don't typically have obs decks doesn't mean it is not possible - and the percentage of residential in these buildings will still be relatively small. I think 1 Vanderbilt will definitely be modified in terms of design, but I also think the observation deck will stay.

We shall see!
__________________
My blog with photo updates and development news: New York YIMBY

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #684
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Apartments starting at 1, 000 feet above the city would be worth a not more than an observation deck, particularly since there will be 4 decks to compete with (e.g., ESB, WTC, HY North, and 30 Rock). I think that the idea of an observation deck always was planNed to be a place-holder.
Yea I agree. Just as long they max out 1 Vandy's potential , this tower can be special. I'm starting to get excited about this tower. I'm liking the tower more lately. If changes are ultimately made at the top I can overlook it for extra height.

I feel good about KPF with what ever they end up doing. IMO, KPF designs some pretty darn good supertalls.
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #685
RobertWalpole
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,607
Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Disagree; I think an obs deck might actually happen here... We shall see!
You should try to get an interview with SL Green for the Yimby site. That would be great.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #686
RotoSequence
Registered User
 
RotoSequence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 105
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I feel good about KPF with what ever they end up doing. IMO, KPF designs some pretty darn good supertalls.
Part of KPF's signature is the effective use of curves, which they appear to have foregone with 1 Vanderbilt. The current design diagrams make it feel like an uninspired rehash of 1wtc, with a dash of The Shard and Transamerica Pyramid thrown in.
RotoSequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #687
babybackribs2314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
You should try to get an interview with SL Green for the Yimby site. That would be great.
Good idea. Will see if I can pull some strings. Long-term, will be interviewing the developers of every new supertall in this city - hopefully.
__________________
My blog with photo updates and development news: New York YIMBY

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #688
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,581
Likes (Received): 28144

Well, why not. Internet sites are the new media. Good luck.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #689
RobertWalpole
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,607
Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Good idea. Will see if I can pull some strings. Long-term, will be interviewing the developers of every new supertall in this city - hopefully.
Your article re: 855 6th Ave was posted on Cook Fox's website! The funny thing is that they must not have read it because you (rightfully) called it a boring box!

In any event, you're gaining notoriety.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #690
McSky
Registered User
 
McSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 708
Likes (Received): 1875

Another look at de Blasio. Hopefully the vision presented here is overly dire, and NYC won't see a return to the dark days of David Dinkins:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...trending_now_3
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #691
citybooster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 943
Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Your article re: 855 6th Ave was posted on Cook Fox's website! The funny thing is that they must not have read it because you (rightfully) called it a boring box!

In any event, you're gaining notoriety.
I have recently come across the site and it's so all-encompassing and addicting.. just a great place to check on what's going up... literally,lol in and around New York! I saw his update on that and he's not THAT critical... isn't great but overall a good improvement for the neighborhood. I'm just happy he has fairly positive thoughts on two major three tower proposals that are becoming reality and will be soon breaking ground in my home town of Jersey City, right across the Hudson River!

I looked on Curbed and was stunned how many negative comments on the proposed 1 Vanderbilt. NIMBY'S, blind bats and 99 per center anarchists for the most part. So many too ripping on the New World Trade Center 1. I mean is it the BEST design, most innovative or creative? No, but it still is a solid one, though it would look better with the additions of World Trade Center 2 and 3. I know I digress but hopefully we'll at least get 3 going in the next year. Just so pissed that 2, which would really help make the revised World Trade site has to be the one to be built last, goodness knows how long. For whatever reason, Silverman is making a huge mistake here. Would rather have put 3 on hold and lavished all the attention on getting the best building , WTC2, built.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #692
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,424
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Another look at de Blasio. Hopefully the vision presented here is overly dire, and NYC won't see a return to the dark days of David Dinkins:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...trending_now_3
That article is ridiculous. Apparently the WSJ thinks raising taxes by 0.5% will start the rapture
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #693
McSky
Registered User
 
McSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 708
Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
That article is ridiculous. Apparently the WSJ thinks raising taxes by 0.5% will start the rapture

There's a lot more in that article to worry about than the one tax increase. As someone who lived through the Koch, Dinkins, Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations in NYC, I hope de Blasio tempers his goals. Violent crime was up in the U.S. by 15% in 2012, and NYC won't be immune if this trend is confirmed going forward. During Dinkins' time as mayor, murders in New York City spiked to over 2,000 a year, and I can tell you that things are completely different now in NYC. Don't screw it up, de Blasio!
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #694
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,424
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
There's a lot more in that article to worry about than the one tax increase. As someone who lived through the Koch, Dinkins, Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations in NYC, I hope de Blasio tempers his goals. Violent crime was up in the U.S. by 15% in 2012, and NYC won't be immune if this trend is confirmed going forward. During Dinkins' time as mayor, murders in New York City spiked to over 2,000 a year, and I can tell you that things are completely different now in NYC. Don't screw it up, de Blasio!
It's a boogeyman. Nobody who isn't a partisan hack believes that crime will suddenly balloon because of DeBlasio, as Lhota keeps crowing about. That statistic in particular that you cite is based on one specific survey's methodological approach. Take for example these same two stories a week apart in 2012:

1: Crime is up, everybody panic! Oct. 17, 2012
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...crime/1638895/

2: Crime is low, everybody cheer! Oct. 29, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/justice/us-violent-crime/

The 70s saw crime rates balloon in almost every American city. In fact, mayors only have a limited role in crime anyway since crime is systemic, demographic and a lagging indicator of social trends. There might be blips based on economic realities but the foundations for a crime wave resurgence in New York is ill founded. Considering DeBlasio has a 40 point lead in the polls today, I think New Yorkers agree with me. Not to mention stop and frisk is racist and discriminatory. Joe Lhota will never have to worry about getting pulled over so why should he care if the program stays in place? All the other bullet points are concern trolling and nothing more.
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #695
babybackribs2314
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Well, why not. Internet sites are the new media. Good luck.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Your article re: 855 6th Ave was posted on Cook Fox's website! The funny thing is that they must not have read it because you (rightfully) called it a boring box!

In any event, you're gaining notoriety.
Ha. I want more renderings. I do like CookFox though, by and large - they do some nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I have recently come across the site and it's so all-encompassing and addicting.. just a great place to check on what's going up... literally,lol in and around New York! I saw his update on that and he's not THAT critical... isn't great but overall a good improvement for the neighborhood. I'm just happy he has fairly positive thoughts on two major three tower proposals that are becoming reality and will be soon breaking ground in my home town of Jersey City, right across the Hudson River!

I looked on Curbed and was stunned how many negative comments on the proposed 1 Vanderbilt. NIMBY'S, blind bats and 99 per center anarchists for the most part. So many too ripping on the New World Trade Center 1. I mean is it the BEST design, most innovative or creative? No, but it still is a solid one, though it would look better with the additions of World Trade Center 2 and 3. I know I digress but hopefully we'll at least get 3 going in the next year. Just so pissed that 2, which would really help make the revised World Trade site has to be the one to be built last, goodness knows how long. For whatever reason, Silverman is making a huge mistake here. Would rather have put 3 on hold and lavished all the attention on getting the best building , WTC2, built.
Thank you so much for the compliments - they mean a lot! YIMBY is overwhelmingly positive because the internet lacks it these days, and also because most development IS good. The one thing I tend to harp on are the new hotels by Kaufman/Poon, which are just awful - though my worst critique yet was of Ashihara's HORRENDOUS 6 Platt Street. Hotels are the worst problem in NYC because the people who they are built for don't actually have to live in them, which is why they can be so ugly & suffer no financial consequences.
__________________
My blog with photo updates and development news: New York YIMBY

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #696
McSky
Registered User
 
McSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 708
Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
It's a boogeyman. Nobody who isn't a partisan hack believes that crime will suddenly balloon because of DeBlasio, as Lhota keeps crowing about. That statistic in particular that you cite is based on one specific survey's methodological approach. Take for example these same two stories a week apart in 2012:

1: Crime is up, everybody panic! Oct. 17, 2012
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...crime/1638895/

2: Crime is low, everybody cheer! Oct. 29, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/justice/us-violent-crime/

The 70s saw crime rates balloon in almost every American city. In fact, mayors only have a limited role in crime anyway since crime is systemic, demographic and a lagging indicator of social trends. There might be blips based on economic realities but the foundations for a crime wave resurgence in New York is ill founded. Considering DeBlasio has a 40 point lead in the polls today, I think New Yorkers agree with me. Not to mention stop and frisk is racist and discriminatory. Joe Lhota will never have to worry about getting pulled over so why should he care if the program stays in place? All the other bullet points are concern trolling and nothing more.
The point that you're missing (from a safe distance from NYC, I might add) is that political choices have impacts on those "systemic, demographic" aspects of crime that you cite. A whole slew of factors went into reducing the number of murders in NYC from 2,245 in 1990 to about 500 today. Increased sentencing, mandatory minimums, detention facility construction, new police techniques and technologies are some of these. Odd how people like to rail against Giuliani, and against "stop and frisk" as racist when the VAST majority of the lives saved and people spared from violence in NYC due to the drop in crime since Dinkins was shown the curb are minorities.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #697
Ghostface79
Registered User
 
Ghostface79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 4604

Last time I checked the stop and frisk law wasn't shot down, only parts of it. And out of all the security steps you mentioned that's the only change that will occur so let's stop acting like it's a all the sudden going to be doom and gloom because of that, cause there's not a single evidence to prove that crime will rise because of such a minor tweek.
__________________

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; October 30th, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #698
MarshallKnight
Registered User
 
MarshallKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: From the Bay to L.A.
Posts: 2,339
Likes (Received): 3585

Not to derail this super-interesting train of thought, but what the **** does any of this have to do with this or any tower in NYC?
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #699
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,424
Likes (Received): 10267

You are right. My apologies. Back to 1 Vanderbilt!
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #700
Sirius2.0
Unregistered user
 
Sirius2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 195
Likes (Received): 82

How tall do you think the building will be if it does get built? I will estimate that it will be between 300 and 500 meters.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Sirius2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu