daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #861
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Glad we'll see this rise, it's just a shame that a historic building must be razed.

Sirius2.0, bozenBDJ liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #862
Sirius2.0
Unregistered user

Likes (Received): 82

Time for an unique skyscraper to be built.
Sirius2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #863
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

It's hardly historic. It's a modern steel skeleton adorned with 1910s-20s wedding cake masonry. The terra cotta elements are delicious, as is the cornice. All can be salvaged (I'm sure Robert De Niro would love to have them for one of his Tribeca projects) but the rest of the structure is a typical ungainly box. That's why it hasn't been landmarked.
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #864
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
OK guys. some shots I made around the proposed building. Classic HIgh style of Manhattan Gotham architecture. Something tells me that in order to build anything new and huge like this proposed tower they should save the facade of the old building and build from within it and upwards.
The problem is that that can almost never be done, at least not for real towers (instead of just adding a few floors). Midrise buildings just don't have the foundations to support truly tall towers, and you can't build new foundations without tearing them out. You could hollow it out and keep just the facade, but then it would look like a silly cheap thing tacked on, inevitably--think of that church facade that fronts an (admittedly architecturally lacking) NYU dorm in the East Village.

Yes, these buildings are attractive, but there are lot of similar buildings in places that are not in the economic hub of NYC and all of the USA, and these old buildings are woefully underutilized and impractical for modern commerce. In the early 20th century, no one was objecting to tearing down the old because they built attractive new buildings, too, and that should be our mantra.

Sirius2.0, JohnFlint1985 liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #865
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
The problem is that that can almost never be done, at least not for real towers (instead of just adding a few floors). Midrise buildings just don't have the foundations to support truly tall towers, and you can't build new foundations without tearing them out. You could hollow it out and keep just the facade, but then it would look like a silly cheap thing tacked on, inevitably--think of that church facade that fronts an (admittedly architecturally lacking) NYU dorm in the East Village.

Yes, these buildings are attractive, but there are lot of similar buildings in places that are not in the economic hub of NYC and all of the USA, and these old buildings are woefully underutilized and impractical for modern commerce. In the early 20th century, no one was objecting to tearing down the old because they built attractive new buildings, too, and that should be our mantra.
how about this tower

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #866
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28144

That is in effect what he said although I agree dat this tower doesn't look cheap.
The old building is all but gone.

Quote:
You could hollow it out and keep just the facade, but then it would look like a silly cheap thing tacked on,
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #867
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
how about this tower
I think it will be much harder to build a supertall that way!
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #868
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

I say to keep the first 6 floors but get rid of everything above that mid-level cornice. It can be done, and has been done to several buildings, particularly Boston. The Hearst tower was a special case in which they wanted a completely open atrium for the area enclosed by the historic building.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #869
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
There should be a law that forbids to build a glass skyscraper over a building that was made with stone and bricks. No matter how much fancy glass goes there, it won't be as memorable or classy as a hand-made structure. With that said, I want that new tower to be built... and then see thousands of people cry over the loss of such a nice building
To be honest I doubt most people would take a second glance at the current building.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #870
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

The Hearst Tower was originally supposed to be surmounted by a skyscraper but got stalled at the base by the depression. So for 70 years it was just another 'taxpayer'. This structure is fully built out as is and mating the existing façade with a glassy supertall would be architecturally unsatisfying and logistically difficult, to say the least. But that is being done right now in Boston with the Millennium Tower.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #871
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
how about this tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk
The Hearst Tower was originally supposed to be surmounted by a skyscraper but got stalled at the base by the depression. So for 70 years it was just another 'taxpayer'. This structure is fully built out as is and mating the existing façade with a glassy supertall would be architecturally unsatisfying and logistically difficult, to say the least. But that is being done right now in Boston with the Millennium Tower.
Bingo. The Hearst Tower was a special case. The original building was built with the intention of a future tower expansion. This is a rare case of Landmarks approving a tower on top of a Landmarked Building (Steinway also comes to mind, but only the interior of the building is protected).

Subsequence, LastConformist liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #872
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

well, jsut after revisiting the place and thinking of all you guys have written here, the proposal to keep the lower part of the building (facade only) and as desertpunk have said
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's hardly historic. It's a modern steel skeleton adorned with 1910s-20s wedding cake masonry. The terra cotta elements are delicious, as is the cornice. All can be salvaged (I'm sure Robert De Niro would love to have them for one of his Tribeca projects) but the rest of the structure is a typical ungainly box. That's why it hasn't been landmarked.
(for the future tower or somewhere else perhaps) the original terracotta elements - should be a compromise enough.

The upper portion of the existing building is a pretty thin masonry and steel frame box which is made look beautiful by these architectural elements on the walls and large copper roof soffit with yet more terracotta beautiful elements. in all honesty the elements deserve being saved, while the masonry box itself is nothing that special.

I still believe that a better tower design for this place is in order. Current renders don't show anything that special. This place deserves way more on the sophistication level and height as well. 1500 ft looks much more grand and suitable for the place, given close proximity of pretty big and bulky Panam building.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 14th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #873
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

I think with the current height of the tower they are pushing it due to the amount of air rights as well as it being office
Here is a diagram of the tower, for an office tower of this height, it is already fairly skinny

There's only so much you can built with limited air rights, although it would be nice to have a 1,500ft tower here

Funkyskunk2, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #874
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I think with the current height of the tower they are pushing it due to the amount of air rights as well as it being office
Here is a diagram of the tower, for an office tower of this height, it is already fairly skinny

There's only so much you can built with limited air rights, although it would be nice to have a 1,500ft tower here
If they would abandon this plan of building a tower with slanted sides and concentrate on something more conservative, yet taller - everything is possible. the superstructure can be put on top of almost anything as a decorative element, while the tower itself can be designed differently.

p.s. BTW do you have this diagram full size? thank you in advance

Sirius2.0 liked this post
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #875
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

I made it on my computer, but when I uploaded it to photobucket it shrunk a lot for some reason D:
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #876
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
I made it on my computer, but when I uploaded it to photobucket it shrunk a lot for some reason D:
try Flickr. it is up to 1 terabyte worth of pictures -all free.

Sirius2.0 liked this post
Old December 15th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #877
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
On photobucket, when you have an upload page to view, click on the gear icon at top right. Make sure 1024 is selected, along with check in the box for "Display my linked photos in their original sizes". This will allow for posting larger images.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #878
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Use imgur. Easiest most convenient. Photobucket is up there with internet explorer in terms of why the hell are you using this.

Old December 15th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #879
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

Photobucket is awful

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #880
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/1...g-put-on-hold/

Vertical_Gotham, Subsequence liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall