daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #901
LordGrantham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrantham View Post
Cheers, lads. As per the Observer, Bill D confirmed his commitment to supertalls today.
Mayor Bill de Blasio today praised some of the biggest names in the real estate industry and told them he has no qualms about building large in the name of affordable housing.

“I think we’ve made clear already–with the people we’ve named and with the approach we’re taking–how central this industry is to the vision that I’m bringing forward,” he continued. “And I hope people, as we get to know each other in these new dynamics, I hope people hear me loud and clear that the only way I can achieve my goals is if we are building and building aggressively. I’m deadly serious about 200,000 units of affordable housing.”

Mr. de Blasio went on to say achieving his goal will also take “a willingness to use height and density to the maximum feasible extent. This is something I’ve said in our previous meetings I don’t have a hang-up about. I think it’s necessary to do what I’m here to do.”

Many residents in neighborhoods across the city complain regularly about housing developments they say are too tall or too large for their locations. But Mr. de Blasio said he hoped that, with the promise of new affordable units and a stamp of approval from his administration, such super-sized projects will be swallowed more easily.

“I hope to, to in all of our dealing with communities that we’ve involved in, to make clear that when my administration blesses a project, including a project with a lot of height and density, it’s because we believe we got a good deal for the people. And I think that will change some of the terms of the debate on the ground in communities,” he said.

Last edited by LordGrantham; February 20th, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
LordGrantham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #902
LordGrantham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Here's more chaps:

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1620714#bmb=1
LordGrantham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #903
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrantham View Post
Cheers cheers!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM   #904
Vertical_Gotham

More on De Blas

[IMG]http://****************.wordpress.com/2014/02/deblasio8.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1[/IMG]

Tower power
http://nypost.com/2014/02/21/tower-power-3/

Quote:
He says the only way he can achieve his “progressive” agenda is if “we are building, and building aggressively.”
Quote:
To fund the services liberals like him love, the city needs to hang on to middle- and upper-income folks, i.e., those who pay taxes and spend money here.
Quote:
he emphasized his vow to let builders “use height and density to the maximum feasible extent” and put up the tallest possible towers.
Quote:
De Blasio’s green light for builders is good news
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:49 PM   #905
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Sounds like a great guy! love the part about putting up the tallest possible towers which makes a lot of sense as well as fueling us skyscraper geeks

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Vertical_Gotham, Manitopiaaa liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #906
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
What's clear is that One Vanderbilt will rise and will be approximately 1200'.
To the roof? Hopefully a little higher than that but I still wouldn't complain either way
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #907
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

I posted this a few months ago:

I calculated the height by matching the Chrylser building to 319m on the ssp diagram and saw how many pixels 1 Vanderbilt was and then sorted it out from there (a bit compressed):

Roof height ~367m
Spire ~397m

it was all based on the scale of this building compared with the Chrysler building:

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Manitopiaaa, citybooster liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #908
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

is skadden looking for new office space?

their current space at 4 times square is very nice, and they should be able to get a good deal on additional floors in that building if they need them since conde nast (the building's other major tenant) will be moving to one world trade center.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #909
Vertical_Gotham

Wow! I think I love it.
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #910
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

I don't think there's a supertall in the entire world that would be classified as 'affordable housing'. What is he smoking?
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #911
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

So there is no open air crown. Much better

msquaredb liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #912
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
So there is no open air crown. Much better
My understanding is that it will be enclosed in glass and serve as a several-storey observation deck.

citybooster liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #913
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
The crown will be occupied.
Better. I thought that more open crown was a bit of a mismatch.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #914

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
I agree. It will be nice to have a 1200 footer (not including the antenna) next to GCT.
Will be amazing for people arriving in NY for the first time, Chrysler to one side 1 Vanderbilt to the other.

citybooster liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #915
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 892

Yup they will be an iconic duo
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #916
Vertical_Gotham

Goradick at it again. :/

OPINION
What’s Next for East Midtown
by Dan Garodnick, Mar 25, 2014
http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.p...ning-garodnick

There was a lot of talk last year about the urgent need to rejuvenate East Midtown.
Mayor Bloomberg offered a serious, but incomplete, rezoning proposal. Too many questions remained about the improvements to Grand Central's infrastructure and the pricing of air rights to advance new development. The ball is now in Mayor de Blasio's court, and we hope he will run with it.

The need for action results from antiquated zoning rules which trap buildings in their current condition. Today, someone who tears down their building can only build back to the same size if they retain 25 percent of their structure. The economics of those regulations leaves few developers willing to terminate leases, vacate buildings, demolish, and rebuild. One early concept simply allowed those buildings to rebuild up to their current densities, essentially "grandfathering" them in.

The rezoning proposal that emerged, however, added even more density by allowing developers to purchase air rights at $250/foot, to be used to finance local infrastructure. While it allowed for the purchase of air rights, it unwisely set the price of those air rights the same across an 80 block territory. It committed considerable sums for infrastructure, but without certainty that they would be used for the most needed improvements. At our insistence, a public realm plan was proposed, but it was unclear if many of the recommendations could actually be implemented. In short, the goals were laudable, but for a plan that would take effect over decades, we needed more time to get it right.

Now we can. We have an opportunity to create the right environment to allow East Midtown to keep its competitive edge. As we devise a new plan, we should consider why companies will want to locate in East Midtown over the next 50 years, and how we want this area to function in the context of New York City's other central business districts.

The proposal should be for a vibrant 21st Century business district, and not an isolated set of new skyscrapers, disconnected to the world around them. That means we need to consider the appropriate density and urban design for the entire district, and to provide that future development improve pedestrian and transit circulation, open space, and access to daylight. We also need to be mindful of the historic fabric of midtown and consider which important buildings should be preserved.

We should revisit the mechanism for pricing air rights -- and consider whether there are other models, such as a tax assessment or tax increment finance district to fund infrastructure, or a broader air rights transfer option, which may be a better fit.
As we proceed with this discussion, let's not forget that the challenges with this area's infrastructure need to be addressed with or without any rezoning proposal. The Lexington Avenue subway platforms at Grand Central are so overburdened as to make them dangerous; East Side Access will be open at some point, and will require better access points to the street; and our sidewalks and public spaces should allow for better and safer pedestrian flow. Simply put, we need a vision for our sidewalks, parks, plazas, and elsewhere - to complement any new buildings that are built.

Many of us have been grappling with these questions for the better part of two years. The Mayor has stated that he will submit a new rezoning proposal this year, and I look forward to working with him toward the more complete plan that East Midtown deserves.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #917
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

If the Mayor is serious about being on board with the need to build tall here, hoping he takes that hack Goradick to the woodshed. Another opening for the NIMBY's to set back the area for years with their hoighty toity "urban" elitism.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #918
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
"The proposal should be for a vibrant 21st Century business district, and not an isolated set of new skyscrapers, disconnected to the world around them."
Now what could he possibly be referring to here?
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #919
citybooster

Still Garodnick uses phrases that indicate he has major problems with the vision. The East District has to have modern towers to compete in today's climate... of course developers do have to give a little more than the original agreement which seemed like too much a sweetheart deal. I hope de Blasio makes it known to council members who may be less committed than he is though to this that working with the developers for the affordable housing component may be the only practical way to get it realized. To oppose the Midtown East District or try to dilute it will in the end screw the very people they claim to represent the best interests of.
Old March 26th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #920
citybooster

Then hopefully he doesn't play games like he seems to in that statement. Obviously we want more than just isolated towers with no connection to the neighborhood as a whole but just not sure what he is aiming at other than the fair and correct point of getting a little better air rights deal for the city than from the last agreement.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall