daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #921
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

reminds me of unfinished Transamerica tower in San Francisco

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #922
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Really hope for a better design than this.... too many plain floors but does get unique towards the top. Hopefully the rest undergoes some changes because something really stunning, a real statement for the new Midtown East, should go here.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #923
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

It's kind of like a giant Donald shaefer building from Baltimore... Eeeeh
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #924
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

The design is good enough. I just hope the materials/cladding will be of good quality. Imagine the Chrysler Building reflecting in the cladding.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #925
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

I like it, too. I mean, yeah, the render is quite unspectacular, but I'm imagining it in real life with the sun shining on it and reflections and all, it's going to be a hundred times better than what you see above, mark my words.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #926
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Could this tower be more Iconic? Absolutely!

Do I like it? Yes and I think it will be an amazing addition to the Midtown East Skyline.

We all know this design will be tweaked and refined by the time this goes vertical and I'm sure KPF will not disappoint.

btw, I would have preferred this design for this location by SHoP from their Gotham Gateway proposal and this would have been an instant classic at 1,200 + ft in NYC standing between the Chrysler and the Empire State Building.

Hopefully SHoP will have another opportunity to build this somewhere in Gotham...Maybe 80 South Street or for the Hudson Spire at 1,800' ?

citybooster, Tower Dude liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #927
wilfred267

Likes (Received): 72

[QUOTE=Vertical_Gotham;112670794]Could this tower be more Iconic? Absolutely!

Do I like it? Yes and I think it will be an amazing addition to the Midtown East Skyline.

We all know this design will be tweaked and refined by the time this goes vertical and I'm sure KPF will not disappoint.

btw, I would have preferred this design for this location by SHoP from their Gotham Gateway proposal and this would have been an instant classic at 1,200 + ft in NYC standing between the Chrysler and the Empire State Building.

Hopefully SHoP will have another opportunity to build this somewhere in Gotham...Maybe 80 South Street or for the Hudson Spire at 1,800' ?

. [/QUOTE

Completely agree.

Amtrak96 liked this post
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #928
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Okay that's a pretty badass render. I hope the cladding actually looks like that too.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #929
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Could this tower be more Iconic? Absolutely!

the design needs to be refined. I am not sure about the crown, but slanted sides in Manhattan looks and in this particular part of the city - looks out of place.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #930
Vertical_Gotham

yea I definitely agree about the crown. That is actually my least favorite of the design and I'm sure that is where we will see the most changes as far as refinement. My preference would be a more centered crown w/ spire and this tower will be really good like a modern version of the ESB.
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #931
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
yea I definitely agree about the crown. That is actually my least favorite of the design and I'm sure that is where we will see the most changes as far as refinement. My preference would be a more centered crown w/ spire and this tower will be really good like a modern version of the ESB.
that and make the walls straight otherwise it is like never ended Transamerica tower or a hybrid of WTC 1

Old March 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #932
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Shop's Station proposal is pretty cool as well but this has been one of my favorite concept renderings that that if tweeked could a new midtown Manhattan jem that parallels the ESB if not surpassing it.
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #933
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

How about we compromise and have Robert Stern design it? He's no stranger to office buildings:

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:46 AM   #934
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Well I think that Stern is most popular architect in the NYC forums (with good reason). He seems to be mentioned as the preferred architect for every project!!
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #935
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

So they are going to proceed without the re-zoning in place?
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...t-midtown-east
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #936
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Good news that they're pushing forward and working with the City to get this tower done, despite the rezoning issues. Sounds SL Green has a number of contingencies worked out, depending on how much leeway they're granted -- here's hoping they're granted a lot and can build to their originally planned size.

The article makes a good point though that if this goes through, the broader Midtown East rezoning would lose some vocal backers (and with them, some of its already deflated momentum). Which would be fine as far as SL Green and L&L Holdings are concerned, but bad for fans of the rezoning.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #937
Vertical_Gotham

also in the article it notes...

Quote:
SL Green had no official comment, but said the rezoning's failure to pass could result in "alternate plans."
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #938
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
also in the article it notes...
Maybe they'll propose stacking 60 floors of shipping containers of affordable housing atop the existing structure to appease de Blasio...
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:03 PM   #939
Vertical_Gotham

Rebirth looms for midtown east rezoning
HTTP://WWW.CRAINSNEWYORK.COM/ARTICLE...TEMPLATE=PRINT

Quote:
The plan for a massive rezoning of midtown east, which stalled in the waning weeks of the Bloomberg administration, will get a new lease on life next month. That is when Mayor Bill de Blasio will release his timeline for reinvigorating the effort, according to Alicia Glen, the deputy mayor for economic development and housing. In fact, speaking at a breakfast forum hosted by the Citizens Budget Commission on Wednesday, she revealed that the administration would release its timeline in about two weeks.

The project as initially proposed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg aimed to rezone a more-than-70-block swath of midtown east to spur the construction of a new generation of bigger, state-of-the-art skyscrapers. By the sale of air rights that would allow developers to do just that, the city could, in turn, raise hundreds of millions of dollars for transit improvements in the area.

It's unclear how the de Blasio administration's plan will differ from his predecessor's proposal. The City Council and some preservationists and transportation advocates objected to that earlier plan. Among other things they said that the plan underpriced the air rights to be sold.

Ms. Glen said the administration would release its timeline in the "next week or two," but in a scrum with reporters after the event, she said the zoning would not take effect until 2016 at the earliest.
"That would mean we would obviously have the time to do all the work around consensus building on exactly how we should approach it, then get it certified," she said. "In real life, it's going to be between a year or two before you see anything happen."

She added, "It's not the number one thing we're working on right now, but we're going announce a process which will then give you a timeframe in which it will actually happen."

Asked how Mr. de Blasio's approach to the rezoning will differ from Mr. Bloomberg's, Ms. Glen said, "We want to make sure we do it in a way makes clear the infrastructure can be paid for in the sequence of events when you actually need the infrastructure to come online."

The subway would need to be able to service the projected growth in the number of commercial and residential tenants that would arrive as a result of the rezoning, she said. And paying for those upgrades in a way that "doesn't put additional burden on the city" needs to be planned out.
She declined to comment on the notion put forward by critics of the Bloomberg plan that air rights were being undervalued, but suggested that the city would seek to raise enough money in time to pay for upgrades to the area as quickly as possible.

"We want to look at a way where we can raise enough capital up front," Ms. Glen said. "It takes a long time to do those infrastructure improvements, so you really need to identify a source of financing up front."

When Mr. Bloomberg's plan died, SL Green Realty's plan to build a 65-story, 1.3 million-square-foot-office tower One Vanderbilt adjacent to Grand Central Station also ended. Asked if she saw One Vanderbilt as part of the overall rezoning, Ms. Glen said she has had "a lot of discussions" with Councilman Dan Garodnick, who represents the area, about the project.

"It's an incredibly exciting project," she said. "And it's a project that they've already identified a very high quality tenant that we would like to see come to New York."
Asked if that building could go forward independently of the Midtown east rezoning plan, Ms. Glen said, "I couldn't possibly comment."

On another matter she noted that the plan would not include much in the way of housing. "That is not a place where we're going to be concentrating our housing efforts."

With regard to housing, however, Ms. Glen revealed that the City Planning Commission would release by August or September an analysis of which neighborhoods the administration will concentrate its rezoning efforts on to support Mr. de Blasio's plan to build or preserve 200,000 units of affordable housing. That process will include a plan to mandate the inclusion of below-market rate units in any development benefiting from a rezoning, also called mandatory inclusionary zoning.
That report will likely call for 12 to 15 neighborhoods to be rezoned, among them in East New York, a neighborhood Ms. Glen said is "very underbuilt."

During the forum, Ms. Glen also said the city would commit $350 million in its five-year capital plan for infrastructure improvements in Hunter's Point South in Long Island City, Stapleton in Staten Island, and Coney Island—three neighborhoods she said have "amazing housing potential."
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:25 PM   #940
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Exciting news. I wonder who the tenant could be.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall