daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:23 AM   #961
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Wait...what's going on here? news of a news is imminent? hmm! I have a feeling it will be about a stunning revealing of the Nordstrom?
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:25 AM   #962
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Wait...what's going on here? news of a news is imminent? hmm! I have a feeling it will be about a stunning revealing of the Nordstrom?
Since LordArthurWellesley was talking about the Spire the other day, I'm going to guess we see details on that project. Maybe even a lease/talks of a lease.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:27 AM   #963
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Not many companies seem to be hooked to the World Trade Center, and I think I can make assumptions as to why. Even with that said, they will eventually come, it just may take a while. In fact, there's already 3 negotiations going on with 1 and 4 WTC.
While the WTC news with negotiations with a number of tenants for tower 1 is great! I don't expect this kind of news to con't afterwards if the PA shoots down 3 WTC.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:28 AM   #964
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey Lion View Post
Since LordArthurWellesley was talking about the Spire the other day, I'm going to guess we see details on that project. Maybe even a lease/talks of a lease.
Dat wud be fantastic!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:03 AM   #965
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse
Clockwise from the northwest, the following are the buildings composing of the block in question:

331 Madison Avenue, 1911 (expanded in 1924):
http://slgreen.com/properties/view/331-madison-avenue/
http://www.emporis.com/building/char...orkcity-ny-usa

317 Madison Avenue/47 East 42nd Street, 1922:
http://slgreen.com/properties/view/317-madison-avenue/
http://www.emporis.com/building/ligg...orkcity-ny-usa

51 East 42nd Street, 1913:
http://slgreen.com/properties/view/51-east-42nd-street/
http://www.emporis.com/building/vand...rk-city-ny-usa

48 East 43rd Street, 1923:
http://slgreen.com/properties/view/48-east-43rd-street/
http://www.emporis.com/building/48-e...rk-city-ny-usa

All in all, I'm less biased towards One Vanderbilt, and support pushing of the Bloomberg Midtown rezoning plan. However, the facade of 51 East 42nd Street at least should be incorporated into the design. As a component of the old Warren and Wetmore "Terminal City" masterplan, destroying it would be like destroying part of Grand Central Terminal itself. Even the Biltmore and Commodore Hotels still exist, and can be restored to their pre-war appearances if warranted. In fact, the latter is only encased in glass.
Continue the discussion here!

Last edited by RegentHouse; May 23rd, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
RegentHouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #966
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22530

if 1 Vanderbilt lives up to the hype, which it looks like it will, i can disregard the fact that a few old buildings have to be razed.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #967
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
if 1 Vanderbilt lives up to the hype, which it looks like it will, i can disregard the fact that a few old buildings have to be razed.
New gorgeous supertalls >>> old lowrises in almost any case.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:19 AM   #968
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I agree! Especially what this project means to the Midtown East which is losing ground quickly to lower Manhattan and even the Hudson Yards. Midtown is losing tenants because they want newer facilities with better layouts which they are finding elsewhere. The construction of 1 Vanderbilt will invigorate this area that badly needs upgrading and will be a great stepping stone to remain competitive or even stay at the top. This tower along With MER approval would mean the infrastructure and street scape would be seriously upgraded in this part of town., which quite frankly needs it.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 23rd, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:58 AM   #969
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

That area is stanky, it needs some TLC and a facelift.

The tower should help, but I'm not too scintillated by the design, it's rather an example of re-hashed 20th century thinking aesthetically. I would have gone with a modern glass tower of 21'st century inspiration.

Last edited by aquablue; May 23rd, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM   #970
Vertical_Gotham

TD Bank Eyes Unbuilt Grand Central Tower, Meaning It's On
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ing_its_on.php

These renderings of One Vanderbilt come via a presentation architects Kohn Pedersen Fox made at the Center for Architecture last year, and are likely not what the tower will look like when it is actually built.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #971
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
That area is stanky, it needs some TLC and a facelift.

The tower should help, but I'm not too scintillated by the design, it's rather an example of re-hashed 20th century thinking aesthetically. I would have gone with a modern glass tower of 21'st century inspiration.
21'st century thinking aesthetically IS re-hashed 20th century.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #972
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

This tower needs a different lower part/facade since it invades and destroys the complete look of Grand central Station and buildings around it. Hint: less glass - more stone. Maybe if they are smart - remove old stucco from the buildings there and incorporate it into a new one.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by JohnFlint1985; May 23rd, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #973
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Might not be that tall, seems like it will indeed be around the same height as the ESB but at least it seems like it's moving forward.

65-Story Tower Planned Near Grand Central Terminal
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/ny...inal.html?_r=0
Quote:
A developer plans to erect a 65-story skyscraper directly west of Grand Central Terminal in Midtown Manhattan that would soar 1,200 feet above 42nd Street, 150 feet taller than the landmark Chrysler Building, under a proposal being negotiated by the de Blasio administration.

The tower, on the block bound by 42nd and 43rd Streets, between Vanderbilt and Madison Avenues, would be the corporate home for TD Bank, a major financial institution currently located in New Jersey, if all goes according to plan.

Just as important, the project would transform the area around Grand Central by creating an underground connection between the new skyscraper and the terminal, as well as a public waiting room in the lobby of the tower for commuters using the station. It would also turn a stretch of Vanderbilt, between 42nd and 43rd, into a pedestrian plaza.

The tower, which would be built by the company SL Green Realty Corporation, is one element of a plan by the de Blasio administration to allow for the development of new, taller office towers in one of New York’s premier office districts, while addressing the need for immediate transportation improvements in and around Grand Central.

In the first stage, the city is proposing to begin reviewing a zoning change to what it is calling the Vanderbilt corridor, from 42nd to 47th Streets. If approved, developers would be allowed to build far larger buildings than currently permitted in exchange for substantive transportation improvements.

The city plans to begin the approval process for the zoning changes in the fall.

SL Green, the city’s largest commercial landlord, has long sought to build the 65-story tower on the 42nd Street block it owns. The company, as well as any other developers wanting to build in the area, would have to go through the city’s land use review process.

At the same time, the city plans to begin working with community groups, property owners and others on a proposal to make it easier to build taller towers throughout the entire East Midtown area.
The Wall Street journal got more on this, seems like this one is ready to go.

Zoning Change Would Allow Tower Near Grand Central
http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-y...ion-1401393403
Quote:
New York's City Hall is considering a re-zoning in the Midtown East area that would allow developer S.L. Green build a new office tower near Grand Central Station.

Last edited by Ghostface79; May 30th, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #974
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

I never believed the perspective of that shmegegge render. That said, it's nice to see things moving forward!
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #975
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22530

the same height as to the top of the Spire on the Bank of America Tower.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #976
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
Let's hope the design won't disappoint. The height is mediocre, 1,200' is not enough for a 'signature' tower in Midtown. How things are going in New York, this will become a filler pretty soon.
I don't agree. If this is 1,200 to the roof, this could be very similar to the impact that ESB has. This building will be huge since it takes up a huge lot.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #977
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
I don't agree. If this is 1,200 to the roof, this could be very similar to the impact that ESB has. This building will be huge since it takes up a huge lot.
Yea im thinking that article didn't include the spire, so might be taller then that 1,200 figure, if the spire is included that its still a nice filler to the skyline.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #978
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

I believe the roof will be 1,200-1,250 feet. The spire will send this to 1,400-1,500 feet.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #979
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
Still, for a so called 'signature' tower it needs more height. Residential towers are looking down on office buildings - I'm not sure that I like this particular trend.
But they are skinny, this tower will have some mass to it.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #980
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Terrific news. The design we've seen thus far has grown a lot on me, although I think the crown needs a lot of refinement -- I'd be happy to see a 1200 ft. version of that plus a spire to add into the Midtown mix.

And bball1992 makes a good point -- given the way NY zoning works, office towers with their massive floorplates are almost always going to be shorter than the ultralux resis stretching the same square footage across much thinner floors. That's the new reality, although I'm not a huge fan of it in principle. Hopefully someone comes along with a mixed-use tower that balances office and residential to get something truly huge (hello Hudson Spire).

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall