daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #981
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Yay! Great News for One Vanderbilt Place & for the MER!

I agree to the roof at least 1,200' and Spire taking up much more.

Exhibit A:

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #982
Vertical_Gotham

As per NyTimes Article posted above:

Quote:
In the first stage, the city is proposing to begin reviewing a zoning change to what it is calling the Vanderbilt corridor, from 42nd to 47th Streets. If approved, developers would be allowed to build far larger buildings than currently permitted in exchange for substantive transportation improvements.

The city plans to begin the approval process for the zoning changes in the fall.
I wonder what other sites currently that could avail of this

Btw, for ya Manhattanites, The Manhattanhenge should be upon us between 8:00-8:15pm

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 30th, 2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #983
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
Let's hope the design won't disappoint. The height is mediocre, 1,200' is not enough for a 'signature' tower in Midtown (especially when the tower is going to have a spire). How things are going in New York, this will become a filler pretty soon.
While 1200' to the spire would be kinda mediocre in NYC 1200 to the roof would certainly not be, especially in this location, and from the information we have so far, 1200 will be the roof height likely.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:00 AM   #984
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I'm pretty sure it will be 1200 ft to the roof, with a spire I think it will end up being a 1300-1350 ft tower.

Still not a fan of the design, it looks too much like their other office buildings in the city (BOA and 30HY), so I hope there will be some modifications tho I expect the overall massing to look similar, which I don't mind cause I like the massing, but that top kills it.

I noticed how people are unimpressed with a 1200 footer in the city, makes me realize how spoiled we've become to have a building the size of the ESB going up and we make it sound like it's average. If we go back just 5 years ago we'd be beyond excited to get this one built at that height. Personally I am, this part of midtown needs to catch up with the rest of the city, and seems like there will be more to come.

That got me thinking, if this tower goes through along with the other ones getting built, the ESB will be knocked out of the top 5 tallest buildings in the city by the end of the decade, and if 2WTC and the Hudson Spire get the green light it might be the 8th tallest tower in the city. NYC is booming guys!

Last edited by Ghostface79; May 30th, 2014 at 04:40 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #985
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArthurWellesley View Post
The MTA HQ and L&L's building at 380 Madison which will be nearly vacant in a few years. Sadly, the Roosevelt too.
Really?? The Roosevelt?? What makes you say that?

I forgot about those two sites (MTA & 380 Mad) & I think potentially they both could be ~ supertall. I know 380 Mad has about 1msf & with this news the MTA can finally proceed to sell its HQ with that big question mark eliminated out of the equation.

Old May 30th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #986
Vertical_Gotham

I agree guys! Da Boom is just starting which is just incredible when you think about it.

Quote:
I agree.

In a few weeks, another very big residential likely will be revealed. Stay tuned, lads!
Now...This news is killing me!! Damn it. Tell me!!

So it's gonna be a residential?? That eliminates news for the Spire. Now when you say another residential revealed, do you mean it's a project that we are all not aware of?? Or do you mean, it's a project we know and soon we shall get a revealing of a rendering?? Any crumbs you can throw my way would be highly appreciated.

Old May 30th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #987
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
NYC is booming guys!
It truly is amazing.

I like to categorize all the projects into four groups in my head:

1. Downtown/World Trade Center

2. Hudson Yards

3. 57th Street corridor/skinny residentials

4. Midtown East rezoning/Midtown

All are seeing MASSIVE development.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #988
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
It's a residential that has not been previously disclosed.
I guess that rules out the Park Lane and 31 West 57th. Is this Dalian Wanda's tower?
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #989
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

you guys haven't heard? they're building something in that location!
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #990
Vertical_Gotham

Ay yai yai! Very Intriguing I tell you.

Yea, Wanda Tower could be it. There was supposed to be an announcement sometime last fall that never materialized.

citybooster liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #991
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
I agree.

The boom is just beginning! In a few weeks, another very big residential likely will be revealed. Stay tuned, lads!
As much as I appreciate your information, your the worst.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #992
Vertical_Gotham

City Plans Midtown East Rezoning to Aid Tower
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...html#printMode

Quote:
The de Blasio administration is proposing to rezone the five-block street that borders Grand Central Terminal, clearing the way for a 65-story tower in the heart of the aging office district, according to people familiar with the matter.

City officials have discussed rezoning Vanderbilt Avenue, which stretches from East 42nd Street to East 47th Street. That would allow SL Green Realty Corp. to build the 1,200-foot tower it calls One Vanderbilt, according to the people familiar with the matter.

The administration then would move forward with the rezoning of the rest of Midtown East, in a process that would include more community consultation. That effort would be led by City Council member Daniel Garodnick, who represents the area, and Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, people familiar with the matter said.

In the final days of his administration, former Mayor Michael Bloomberg withdrew a proposal for Midtown East to allow about a dozen new office towers. It had drawn vigorous opposition from community leaders, including Mr. Garodnick, who said the administration was moving too quickly. By carving out the least controversial project before broader changes are considered, Mayor Bill de Blasio is trying to avoid the political problems Mr. Bloomberg faced with Midtown East.

SL Green, which owns the block bounded by Vanderbilt and Madison avenues and by East 42nd and East 43rd streets, is in talks with Canadian financial firm Toronto-Dominion Bank about leasing a large amount of space at One Vanderbilt.

The new tower and other developments in the area would still have to seek approval from the City Planning Commission and City Council to build to the maximum height allowed under the new zoning rules, according to the people familiar with the matter. The decision would be based partly on the quality of transportation improvements that developers promise to make, the people said.

Administration officials are in the final stages of consulting with community leaders, real-estate interests and local politicians about the proposal. A formal announcement could come as early as Friday, according to the people familiar with the matter.

The rezoned area would also include former Metropolitan Transportation Authority sites at 341, 345 and 347 Madison Avenue, according to a person familiar with the matter. It also includes Yale Club of New York City, which occupies a 22-story neoclassical building.

Under changes initially proposed by the Bloomberg administration, Vanderbilt Avenue would have been made into a pedestrian plaza. Under the new proposal, the pedestrian area would cover just the portion of the avenue between 42nd and 43rd streets, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Under the Bloomberg proposal, the densest development would have been in the area immediately surrounding Grand Central, including Vanderbilt.

At an event last week hosted by the Citizens Budget Commission, Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development Alicia Glen said that within a couple of weeks the administration planned to announce a time frame for the rezoning. She said the administration wanted to allow time to create consensus around the proposal, which would like take a year or two.

But she also said it was working with SL Green to ensure the developer's project can proceed in a timely way.

"And that's a project that they also have identified a very high quality tenant that we would very much like to see come to New York. And so we're actively in discussions with them, with Councilman Garodnick and the planning department about how that can move forward to meet the timeline of that," she said.

Stephen Green, chairman of SL Green, is a prominent political donor in the city who gave money in the 2013 election to mayoral candidates Christine Quinn, Bill Thompson and Anthony Weiner. He also donated to Mr. Garodnick. He didn't give money to Mr. de Blasio's campaign, according to campaign-finance records.

citybooster, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #993
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
It's a residential that has not been previously disclosed.
Will its size put it immediately in the category of supertall? Ah, NOT Wanda, and never among the previously mentioned and speculated ones. Quite juicy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the Vanderbilt Avenue separate rezoned area proposal, if it can be approved in a few months that would be great, and at least the ball gets rolling on Midtown East with the most popular high profile proect. But if I'm reading Deputy Mayor Glen right the overall Midtwn East proposal may take maybe not just a year or so to start implementing but as many as two years. It's important to get things right but would two years also allow opposition to develop and stymie much of the redevelopment plan?

Last edited by citybooster; May 30th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #994
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
City Plans Midtown East Rezoning to Aid Tower
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...html#printMode
I really hope they pull this through. This rezoning is taking so much time.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #995
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Good to see an actual height for this thread now! Will probe be 390-400m for the spire when confirmed!
And Lord Arthur, how could you do such a thing to us?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #996
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Hmm, 1200 ft. roof height. Considering it is in Midtown, I never expected it to be any taller than that, so I'd be happy with that. No spire though, please. That area already has ESB, Chrysler, NYTT, BOA, and Conde Nast. It really doesn't need another spire.

With all the mid height supertalls being built, Midtown might, in say, 10 years, be a place where a 2000 ft roof building could fit seamlessly into the skyline. Something, that, in my opinion, has not yet been achieved anywhere in the world.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #997
Vertical_Gotham

New Tower in Rezoned Midtown East May Top Chrysler Building
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...r_building.php

A newly unveiled rendering for One Vanderbilt, via architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, looking east from Bryan Park. Its height is particularly striking

A second newly unveiled rendering for One Vanderbilt, via architects Kohn Pedersen Fox. This looks southwest from the corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and 43rd Street, showing Grand Central to the left, One Vanderbilt to the right, and the pedestrian plaza in between

Quote:
Developer SL Green will, in fact, go ahead with its proposal to build a 65-story tower just west of Grand Central station—one with up to 1.6 million square feet of office and retail space inside that would rise about 1,200 feet, which is 150 feet taller than the Chrysler Building, its Art Deco neighbor to the east.
Quote:
Today, Bill de Blasio and area councilmember Dan Garodnick announced preliminary plans for a reincarnated rezoning plan for the area.
Quote:
As per a press release from the mayor's office, a short-term zoning change for the five-block stretch west of Grand Central that is Vanderbilt Avenue (between Park and Madison from 42nd to 47th streets) would allow SL Green to erect One Vanderbilt. (These could be approved as early as this fall.) Meanwhile, zoning amendments for the rest of the neighborhood would roll out over the longer term. In official jargon:

First, the department will advance a zoning proposal to allow for larger state-of-the-art buildings along Vanderbilt Avenue that would provide specific, significant and upfront public infrastructure upgrades. The initiative is designed to ensure that property owners provide for much-needed improvements at Grand Central Terminal to relieve subway station bottlenecks and create new public open space sought by local stakeholders. The changes will undergo a full public review. SL Green – the owner of a large site at Vanderbilt Avenue and East 42nd Street – will likely be the first applicant for this new zoning special permit, with a proposal to deliver vital pedestrian and subway improvements concurrent with the construction of a major new office building across from the Terminal.
Quote:
in exchange for being allowed to erect its lofty Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed tower, SL Green will be giving back to the community in the form of 1) an underground connection between the One Vanderbilt and the terminal; 2) a public "waiting room" in the lobby of the tower for commuters; and 3) a pedestrian plaza on Vanderbilt between 42nd and 43rd. SL Green's CEO also told the times it would spend $100 million on transit infrastructure, which would help alleviate congestion in an area mainly served by the overburdened 4/5/6 line.
Quote:
The rezoning of Vanderbilt Avenue leaves the door wide open for development beyond SL Green's. Namely, the Times points out, at two sites: "a Madison Avenue building owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority [at 341, 345 and 347 Madison Avenue], and the Roosevelt Hotel." WSJ adds the currently 22-story Yale Club into the mix of possible development sites. It's not like the owners of those have proposed anything yet, but the rezoning's allowances to build big in a time of real estate hot-ness, even if they have to pay out to improve the neighborhood's transit and infrastructure in return, will likely prove alluring.

Manitopiaaa, streetscapeer liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #998
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

I love the base! I wish the top had more flair. The building looks....stiff. The crown still looks atrocious. The materials look nice though.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #999
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

I like what the vision for the area showed for this tower better:

The heights look similar but the tower to the left of GCT looked a lot more advanced, classy and chic. I want to be excited for this tower but on most fronts (height, design, beauty), I'm just not feeling it.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1000
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

Those renders are fantastic!
This is a tower where the spire compliments the design and also adds touches from the Art Deco era!

That facade is reeeally nice too! What's the materials used for it?
It's also good to see a great tall glass office tower with lovely textures

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall