daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #1061
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I also wonder if they still plan on turning the Metlife building into a Chia Pet.
Jeez, that's almost as stupid looking as the ring towers plan.
Metlife Building with trees sprouting out of it...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #1062
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
It's like New York is desperate for a storied past and is trying to cheat its way to one.
New York has a glorious past.

The following are more recognizable to a global audience than anything London has:

The Statue of Liberty
The Empire State Building
Wall Street
Times Square
One World Trade Center
Chrysler Building is in the discussion.

It is said that Stalin's Seven Sisters were inspired by the Manhattan Municipal Building.

Hitler was envious of the great city. He wanted the skyscrapers to billow with smoke.

President Washington took the first oath of office in Lower Manhattan at Federal Hall.

Also, I don't see any London icons being attacked for their massive influence and symbolism, do you?

McSky, Rush_Freak liked this post
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #1063
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArthurWellesley View Post
No. Shvo is a schvmuck.
He has good taste in birds, though.
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #1064
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

DAN GARODNICK TALKS MIDTOWN EAST (Video)
http://www.cityandstateny.com/27/28/...l#.U4_S8Ce9KK1

EDITORIAL
East Midtown

By The Editors | 06/03/14 5:07pm

http://observer.com/2014/06/east-midtown/

Quote:
There’s no question that the area around Grand Central Terminal needs to be dragged into the 21st century. The neighborhood is a major economic engine but one that requires a major overhaul.

Thankfully, the de Blasio administration agrees. City Hall has gotten behind a proposal by S.L. Green Realty to build a 65-story tower adjacent to the terminal and to provide $100 million in desperately needed improvements to local transportation facilities.

The proposed new tower is the first step toward a revitalization of a five-block stretch of Vanderbilt Avenue, which is, in turn, part of an ongoing conversation about the future look of the broader East Midtown neighborhood. City Planning Commission Chairman Carl Weisbrod, one of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s best appointments, is working with elected officials to establish the parameters of the area’s new look.

In the meantime, work is underway in the transformation of Vanderbilt Avenue, a small piece of very important real estate. The new tower, which will house 1.6 million square feet of office space, is the first project to take advantage of new special zoning permits for the Vanderbilt Avenue corridor. Applicants will be allowed to create high-density space in return for funding some of the infrastructure upgrades that East Midtown requires if it is to compete with central business districts around the world.

Among the properties that could be razed in the new scheme is the Roosevelt Hotel, currently owned by the Pakistani government. Some neighborhood activists argued that the aging art deco throwback ought to be preserved for reasons best known only to them. Fortunately, City Hall appears to disagree.

The emerging process to transform East Midtown is remarkable for its spirit of cooperation and collaboration, a credit to Mr. Weisbrod and elected officials like Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and Councilmember Dan Garodnick, who represents the neighborhood. Mr. Weisbrod said the plan “exemplifies our approach to ground-up community planning that coordinates new development with appropriate infrastructure and city services.”

That inclusive approach took a huge step forward with the announcement of S.L. Green’s investment. With more investors certain to come, it’s clear that the revitalization of East Midtown is well underway and has the support of a mayor whose commitment to private-sector growth has been open to question.

We look forward to hearing about the next project. And the one after that.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #1065
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

The only thing I don't like is the dismissive wave of the hand over the architectural value of the Roosevelt Hotel. We lost the Drake for 432 Park, maybe there are some inevitable tradeoffs that have to be made... you can't always get what you want, and very few buildings can really stand the onslaught of time. That said, the Roosevelt is truly gorgeous and monumental... it may be a throwback to a golden age of Art Deco architecture but then that means there aren't many around like it. The effort to declare it a historic landmark should get a fair hearing. Ever since I saw not only articles but a documentary on the late great Penn Station(which ironically was made possible by tearing down a dreary little ramshackle of a neighborhood... trying to get it done today would meet with howls of protest and lawsuit threats and probably get stopped in its in tracks, pardon the pun)and seeing what's there now. The unspeakable architectural atrocities known as the Penn Plaza tower complex and the really overrated Madison Square Garden with a hole in the ground posing as a great urban railway gateway to the world, an insult to a great city like New York.

So trying to save the Roosevelt is something I can understand, and if they can do something that preserves at least some of that great past I'm not going to get upset over that. Compared to some of what has been actually deemed worthy of landmark status that was posted the other day, I think the Roosevelt really does warrant a fair hearing. I'm sure with 341 Madison and other sites in the area you can get another modern supertall but if we're going to just get glass towers everywhere the contrast of stone is aesthetically pleasing. I just wish more of the towers going up today weren't just glass monuments.... stone is more relatable, warmer, more human scale. The Woolworth Tower, the Pine Street building, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building.... they appeal to so many of us because they speak to classic styles and building materials that stand the test of time.

MarshallKnight liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #1066
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
The unspeakable architectural atrocities known as the Penn Plaza tower complex

wow
very atrocity
much unspeakble
such not stunning
2modern4me
wow

desertpunk, Rush_Freak liked this post
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #1067
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

I just had a thought that might make everyone a little bit happier about this, how about the city negotiates a deal for the plot on which the giant turd that replaced the commodore hotel sits, demolish it. Then bring in Stern to design a neo-art deco master piece.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #1068
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

You know I'm all for modernism, but you must have looked long and hard to find the only two flattering photos of 1 Penn Plaza in existence. In normal lighting conditions and from most angles, it's fairly hideous...
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #1069
ThatOneGuy

Enjoy
http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=penn%20plaza

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old June 5th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #1070
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
shit happens.

this was a vision for the tower, it's much taller than 1VP will end up being. The height to the spire might not be much shorter though. The vision is ~1400ft. I also wonder if they still plan on turning the Metlife building into a Chia Pet.

Horrible photo and editing
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1071
ThatOneGuy

That design would have actually looked cool with metal veritcal fins and no...uh...balconies.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1072
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

I agree. Those balconies are awful and misplaced.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1073
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

I love old world hotels like the Roosevelt and Pennsylvania. For the latter, I actually didn't mind it to be demolished for 15 Penn Plaza, because it was a quality project and Penn Station was already long-gone. As for the Roosevelt Hotel, there are other buildings that should be redeveloped before even considering destroying this beauty.

citybooster liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #1074
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I think if we get anything like the SHoP vision for the Pennsylvania Hotel of the two old world jewels I'd sacrifice the Pennsylvania Hotel as well. The Vornado render the more I saw it just wasn't distinctive or iconic so it's a good thing they paused on going forward with the project until they could be certain it would be a viable investment and maybe until they got a better design. The one thing I never did get and would fervently oppose is the idea pushed by the owners of the Empire State Building is that they should the only tower of supertall height in the area because of its prominence and history. It would take away from the iconic status of the ESB, it is argued... I'd say it's no such thing but the acknowledgement of reality and progress and represents a complement to it, not a threat to its standing in the least.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #1075
Vertical_Gotham

Chinese Buyers snap up NYC skyscrapers
http://nypost.com/2014/06/07/nycs-ne...ll-live-there/

Quote:
New York is back in the high life — with a new generation of towers more than 800 feet tall expected to crowd the skyline in the next few years.

Why so many new skyscrapers? Demand, for one — foreign buyers in particular are eager to snap up a spot in Manhattan. And modern businesses are looking to new office towers for the latest in energy efficiency, Internet access and style. But one of the biggest changes is technological.

Structural advances mean ulta-thin towers higher than the Empire State Building (1,250 feet at roof, 1,454 feet at spire) can be built on spaces one-half acre or even smaller.

Here’s a look at some of the towers headed our way: (click in link)
[IMG]http://****************.wordpress.com/2014/06/skyscraper10.jpg?w=420[/IMG]
One Vanderbilt 1,292 feet (1,392 feet w/spire) Office building would connect to Grand Central

1,292 ft to roof
1,392 ft w/spire

Old June 8th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #1076
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

another tower for the 400m club?

1 WTC 541m
215 w 57th St 434m+
432 park Ave 425 m
1 VP 424m
111 w 57th St 411m+
2 WTC 411m
Hudson Spire 400m+

Vertical_Gotham, iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; June 8th, 2014 at 06:14 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #1077
Vertical_Gotham

Hudson11, L.A.F.2. liked this post
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #1078
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArthurWellesley View Post
Wow! Where does the 1,292' figure come from?
How else??

There is no way that figure gets pulled out of thin air! That figure definitely had been provided by either SL Green or KPF

Old June 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #1079
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Height bumps all around!
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1080
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

A height increase to 424m? deserves a round of applause!

New York really is loving this new height figure of the 410-30s! Will also help it stand out more with the 57th Street supertalls!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall