daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #1201
Tikal

Likes (Received): 55

Nice, what is the road that comes out from a tunnel and goes around that building ?
Tikal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1202
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
What are you talking about? No curves here. The angles are off how...?
Please enlighten all the mortals here and shed a little light on how a real architectural mastermind like yourself would go about designing this tower - I hope you're listening too KPF!
Is the building a box? If not, then it has curves. Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve. I think it's always best to take a deep breath and research before berating someone for their commentary (especially a subjective opinion). You can then be sassy and condescending when you have a basic understanding at hand.

As for the angles, imo they are too sharp and the change between the lines is too abrupt. The best curvy buildings follow the Verre model of a shifting shape. Either you go for boxy and monolithic (like Sears) or go for a more sinewy design that's gradual and flows well (like the Shanghai Tower). This tower tries to blend boxy and monolithic with having an evocative design and it doesn't work well. There's too much 'stuff' going on (meaningless angles, random materials, plant walls next to Greek columns under copper ceilings and sand-colored floors leading out towards gray lined walkways full of Modern Art. How is that cohesive?) None of that 'stuff' is particularly well-thought out. I think the crown is the epitome of 'hot mess'.

I like KPF generally: Heron Tower, ICC Hong Kong, Shanghai WFC. This design, however, is in need of a major revamp. At least the height is good and there's no random trees sticking out of the building.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1203
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

I think you're confusing "curve" with non-90-degree angles, although I don't think anyone needs to snark about it, as it's pretty obvious what you were talking about.

In any case, I find the base more coherent than all that, but it could probably stand to be refined and simplified. 10 and 30 Hudson Yards are far worse offenders in that regard.

For me the real travesty is the crown. Definitely a "hot mess" like you say, as currently rendered. I don't mind that it's all glass (that's actually quite nice as a simple way to distinguish it from the Terra cotta body of the tower, a la Chrysler and chrome) but the lines and proportions are totally unappealing. Plenty of time to be refined, thank god.

bodegavendetta liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #1204
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

I'll tell my grandchildren about the 29th of july, the day that triangles got curves... :P

But that aside, i do agree that the building could use some interestingness when i comes to proportions and angles. It lacks tension i think.
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:10 AM   #1205
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I like this tower but I agree it somehow lacks finesse but I can't put my finger on it: the crown, the body, the proportions? I get the sense the architects wanted this to echo classic skyscrapers like the Chrysler, especially with the crown, but the materials and the rather short windows give it a mid-century feel, which doesn't feel contemporary. I do like the base a lot, though, and I could see it interacting well with the street, but I agree something needs to be refined (seems like the crown irks people the most). I would also like it to be taller because it looks a bit squat at certain angles.

That said, this could have been way way worse and I would still be pretty happy with this being built as is.

seb.nl, onewtclover, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #1206
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Not sure if this was ever posted, and to think Penn Plaza might join these two midtown giants.
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #1207
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

I don't think I've seen that picture before. Really shows how much it will dominate the skyline.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #1208
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

It looks too squat in that rendering.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #1209
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

That's not KPF's design. A forum member made it.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #1210
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

It's an approximation of the design. We've never seen it rendered from that angle, or really been given a proper idea what it'll look like from the North/South. Size seems about right to me though.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1211
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I like this tower but I agree it somehow lacks finesse but I can't put my finger on it: the crown, the body, the proportions? I get the sense the architects wanted this to echo classic skyscrapers like the Chrysler, especially with the crown, but the materials and the rather short windows give it a mid-century feel, which doesn't feel contemporary. I do like the base a lot, though, and I could see it interacting well with the street, but I agree something needs to be refined (seems like the crown irks people the most). I would also like it to be taller because it looks a bit squat at certain angles.

That said, this could have been way way worse and I would still be pretty happy with this being built as is.
You took the words right out of me. I don't really like this tower, but I can't put my finger on it. Mecca Royal Clock Tower has a horrible facade that is only suitable for its culture, and Sky City is way too fat. But I don't know why I don't like this tower.

I like the base, too. It fits in really well with the rest of the streets of Manhattan.

The tower reminds me a little of One World Trade Center, but I don't like the design. Maybe it'd look better it the top was a little wider or if the base was a little thinner. It could be that the tower tapers too much, but if that was the case, I'd hate the Shard. I like the crown and the base, but they don't clash well.

On the bright side this will dominate Midtown, not only on the west side like Hudson Yards or the north side like West 57th, but on the east. The crown will add a little flair and maybe the spire will have special lighting, but they need to tweak the design.

bodegavendetta liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1212
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I made it. The base takes up the whole block and I think the height is right. I guessed on tapering and it looks like it won't taper nearly that much. The other renders are straight on while this is from the diagonal which also makes it taper more. Looks so fat though..

j-biz, bodegavendetta, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #1213
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I made it.
It looks good and it would be great if you could add 15 Penn to this render.

Tower Dude liked this post
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #1214
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Yeah, I meant the tower inherently looks too fat, not that the rendering is inaccurate (great job by the way, Funkyskunk2). I want to like this tower so badly but the proportions, among other things, just seem too off to me.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #1215
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I think the tower will be far from fat. 1,350' for a 1.6m office tower is a recipe for a slim tower.

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #1216
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Businesses are starting to vacate 317 Madison! Perhaps, we'll have some news soon.

As of 15th of Aug., 2014, Fridays and the adjacent store are closed!

Old August 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #1217
LondoniumLex
BANNED

18th of Aug

All of the stores in 317 Madidon have closed but for TD Bank!

Vertical_Gotham, j-biz liked this post
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #1218
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The store on the 43rd St side is closed too.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; August 19th, 2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old August 19th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #1219
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb.nl View Post
I'll tell my grandchildren about the 29th of july, the day that triangles got curves... :P

But that aside, i do agree that the building could use some interestingness when i comes to proportions and angles. It lacks tension i think.
He's talking about aesthetic curves; the way combined shapes draw the eye through a composition.

Come on, this is supposed to be an architecture forum. This is basic stuff.

seb.nl, Manitopiaaa liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #1220
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
He's talking about aesthetic curves; the way combined shapes draw the eye through a composition.
Come on, this is supposed to be an architecture forum. This is basic stuff.
Pretty condescending for having no idea what you're talking about.

onewtclover liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall