daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #1321
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

I guess ESB is much closer, making it look taller?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #1322
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Yeah, the 42nd Street towers are about twice as far from the camera as the ESB, and this photo was taken with a wide-angle lens, so the distance is exaggerated (as opposed to a zoom lens, which tends to flatten the depth out of a photo). I'm sure we'll continue to see other angles as the development progresses. I am very curious to see how it'll shape the skyline from the East.

Trex-md liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #1323
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This building fits NY perfectly, I don't know what that article is on about.

iamtheSTIG, Trex-md liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #1324
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Have they released any renders of what this bad boy will look like from across the east river?
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #1325
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Someone's not a fan.

KPF’s design for One Vanderbilt not so grand: architecture review

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/...ecture-review/

Not that I totaly disagree, this location deserves something iconic; fixing that crown could change things for me tho.
Hallelujah someone actually said this!!!!!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

onewtclover liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #1326
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Immigrant View Post
I completely understand what bothers people. There were no construction/change of skyline in New York as significant as current one for long time. People are used to pictures they had for long time. Now, they are scared someone is going to take those beautifoul pictures of their city away. There is also another thing, new buildings are hard to depict in the phase of design based on renderings. It is only when they are finished, we can say what it really looks like. Considering this crown, yes, it is little awkward. But from another point, it's unregular and precipitous shape gives it kind of gothic look, which might turn out to be great thing at the end. Now, on the renderings it doesn't look special. But when completed and observed in real, i think this awkward crown might gave very special feeling of dimensions in space. It might make whole building imposing and markant. It's up to see....
I was wandering what were people thinking and comenting backthere in 1930' when they were constructing neighboring Chrysler building and american international building in lower manhattan. Those buildings looks very odd too, when you see them for first time...

(edit: i think that it would be great if architects take ordinary people tips and opinion in consideration, because people are going to use all those buildings. So, who ever is doing building should know what people want, wish and think. But it is also very important that people let architects do their job, because it is presumption they know much more than we do. And very often, "we, the people" cannot and don't understand what architects want to achieve and show to us, until the building is finished or long time after that....)
it is way more than just pictures. we live in a great city and it is great because someone back in the day had the guts, the balls, the head and heart to build something that was as inspiring as it was beautiful and innovative. Chinese can build anything they want over a kilometer high, but they will always be behind something like ESB since it was first and it was the one that set the standard.

So the point is - if something like 1920s block is no longer interesting and I can understand that (it is not the most exciting I have seen in the city) - all we want is something that is worthy of the place it is going to rise.

this ugly piece of architecture is a cheap attempt to get us behind something that has only one noticeable feature - height. I am glad that at least some people are not satisfied with this pay off. Our price is way steeper since it is the place where you should not build cheap. There are other places where this tower might be right at home, but it is not here.

So it is way more than just pictures and tourists. It is about NYC setting up new standards that will last the next 100 years or so.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1327
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

A I had mentioned b4, I have become a fan and I think the top is interesting that It will make this tower an icon in NYC's skyline.

I can however understand the feelings by some of you guys in regard to the top because I initially felt that way.

Just as long as they stay with this Itineration/proportions shown below, it will be perfect imo.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

streetscapeer, Braillard, citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #1328
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I agree, VG. It looks great.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1329
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4488

Indeed, I particularly love the crown from this angle, portrayed in the render below...

I love the set backs, and how it creates multiple 'V's which adds many layers for depth. Also with them slanted to created such 'V' formations, it compliments the slanting sides of the main tower
Also the many layers at the crown give the impression of multiple buildings forming a cluster surrounding the pinnacle of this tower - sort of like an illusion

Also the 'V's I'm on about seem to represent chevrons - which were a major and prominent feature of the Art Deco era - very New York

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Tower Dude, citybooster liked this post

Last edited by iamtheSTIG; September 29th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1330
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

I feel the tower works well in this particular location, 34th to 42nd streets have several supertalls with impressive spires this keeps the trend going

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

iamtheSTIG, citybooster liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1331
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I guess ESB is much closer, making it look taller?
The Empire State Building would look tall in Dubai. It has a presence that few buildings will ever have.

citybooster, onewtclover liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1332
Vertical_Gotham

Something special in the air rights at One Vanderbilt
http://nypost.com/2014/09/30/somethi...ne-vanderbilt/

Quote:
Andrew Penson’s Argent Ventures, owner of Grand Central Terminal’s air rights, has “offered” to buy SL Green’s development site next door and build the proposed City Hall-backed One Vanderbilt office tower itself. But the pitch overlooked one crucial fact:

Namely, that Argent is not a developer at all. It’s apparently never built anything from the ground-up — much less a 65-story 1.6-million-square-foot office tower project that would include a myriad of transit and pedestrian amenities inside and nearby the congested terminal.

In fact, the “offer” looks like merely the latest front Penson has opened in its kitchen-sink campaign to force SL Green to buy air rights from him for many times more than Argent paid for them in 2006.

One Vanderbilt is an East Midtown game-changer that enjoys broad political support as well as the backing of the MTA and just about anyone fed up with the terminal’s dangerous crowding. It’s the centerpiece of the City Planning Department’s effort to rezone Vanderbilt Avenue to allow larger buildings than current zoning allows.

Like most of East Midtown, the avenue is hobbled by obsolete structures that average 70 years of age — a deterrent to large modern companies, which are increasingly choosing to set up new headquarters elsewhere in the city, and in some cases fleeing the area altogether.

The rezoning proposal must go through the city’s seven-month Uniform Land Use Review Procedure. Sources said the plan will be “certified” into the process within weeks.

The proposal would allow SL Green to build much larger than current rules allow without necessarily buying air rights.

Air rights transfers could still be used. But the proposal would also allow new projects more “dense” (i.e., bigger and taller) than are allowed under existing zoning, and even more dense — up to twice the size currently possible — in exchange for infrastructure upgrades to improve public circulation.

SL Green has pledged to pay for the $200 million-plus pedestrian/transit amenities package all by itself, including any overruns.

Argent claims the public deserves more, although without the deal, the city and the MTA have no money at all for the promised upgrades.

Some “community” gadflies also ridiculously claim the job would cost SL Green less than $200 million, even though the MTA has substantiated the budget — which is likely only to rise, not fall.

If the Vanderbilt plan is blessed by the City Council, it will then go to Mayor de Blasio for final approval.

But Penson and his partners bought the terminal’s 1.3 million square feet of air rights eight years ago for $61 per square foot. They want to sell the rights to SL Green for up to $400 per square foot as a condition of the project going forward.

He’s threatened the city with a $1 billion lawsuit against “unconstitutional taking of property.” It’s a brave approach given that the city may change zoning rules, and routinely does so, without respect to whether such changes will enrich any particular private-sector air-rights owner.

The New York Times recently characterized Argent as “David” in its struggle with “Goliath” SL Green, although this David boasts of $2.5 billion in assets on its Web site.

No rational real estate professional should fault Penson for tenaciously battling for his company’s interests, although detractors describe his style as more obstructionist than constructive — as in a failed attempt to block the public offering for the Empire State Building, where he was an investor.

But while Penson’s Grand Central air-rights purchase anticipated great profits down the line, anticipation is not a guarantee — or even a promise. The city clearly does not view its role as acting as Penson’s agent or broker to get him a better deal.

In any event, nothing in the proposal forbids SL Green from negotiating with Penson to buy air rights from Penson if it wants to. Nor does it prevent Argent from selling the terminal’s air rights to other “receiving sites.”

If One Vanderbilt stalls, the city will lose the chance to arrest decades of East Midtown stagnation.

The tower would rise on the block bounded by Madison and Vanderbilt avenues and 42nd and 43rd streets. It might serve as the new corporate home for New Jersey-based TD Bank, although no deal has been confirmed.

Public amenities include a glass-wrapped lobby, which would serve as a new waiting room for the terminal. Also a public plaza on Vanderbilt Avenue — as well as a slew of new corridors, stairway widenings, restoration of long-closed underground links between the terminal and nearby office buildings, and creation of new ones.

Tower tenants could not move in until all the promised amenities were completed.

The transit-package commitment has earned the good will, if not yet outright approval, of key players in the political process — including Council member Dan Garodnick, who scuttled former Mayor Bloomberg’s earlier, aborted rezoning scheme for all of East Midtown, from 40th to 57th streets.

The Vanderbilt rezoning would be a prelude to eventually reviving that proposal with greater regard for the public’s needs.

But it all depends on getting One Vanderbilt out of the ground first.
Imagine that! SLGreen gets the blessing from the city and then decides to buy air rights from this turd to build even a taller tower??? One Vanderbilt could be in the stratosphere.

Old September 30th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #1333
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

As long as the city council gives the final okay so the land use process can get the hell going, and Penson does not succeed in delaying or blocking One Vanderbilt from moving forward, I'm happy with the current size. If I'm SL just to make sure Penson shuts up I'd give him some more satisfaction regarding the air rights but Penson has to understand that the MTA doesn't have the money to make the substantial upgrades and it will only happen if SL Green's deal goes through. And the MTA has confirmed the 200 mil contribution is real and according to the article probably will increase and most importantly, SL green cannot open the building for operation until all the infrastructure and expansion work is done by 2020. This building HAS to happen.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1334
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Something special in the air rights at One Vanderbilt
http://nypost.com/2014/09/30/somethi...ne-vanderbilt/

Imagine that! SLGreen gets the blessing from the city and then decides to buy air rights from this turd to build even a taller tower??? One Vanderbilt could be in the stratosphere.
Can it be that Hudson Spire height could go here... 1,550 ft to the roof /observation deck and 250 ft spire for a grand central station total of 1,800FT?????
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1335
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4488

Wait so does this mean that this tower could be 1.3million square feet on top of the current 1.6/8million square feet?

On the previous page I posted about them having plans for a 1,395foot tower!

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:01 AM   #1336
LondoniumLex
BANNED

The hotel to the east of GCT might buy this putz's air rights on day.
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:42 AM   #1337
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Another tenant was moving out tonight!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 06:51 AM   #1338
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

As much as the Hyatt next to GCT serves a purpose it needs to go as it is architectiually unworthy to be in the spot of a once magnificent building and next to one of the MOST magnificent buildings in the world. And hopefully if Penson doesn't delay One Vanderbilt and therefore midtown east, this will get torn down and A hotel Chain may decide to put their flagship hotel there and have it designed by SHoP or Gehry. Then again this may never happen, but I can dream can't I?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

citybooster liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 07:26 AM   #1339
Vertical_Gotham

I agree about the Hyatt. Hopefully something worthy & tall could eventually rise there to stand proudly along with One Vanderbilt.

SOM vision for Grand Central certainly had the Hyatt done away with.

Tower Dude, citybooster, VEGAN, desertpunk liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:10 AM   #1340
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
SOM vision for Grand Central certainly had the Hyatt done away with.
...which is still incredibly ridiculous.

Unless its being restored to its pre-war appearance, the Grand Hyatt/Commodore Hotel should be left the hell alone.

http://www.timeshutter.com/sites/def...dore-hotel.jpg

SMCYB, JohnFlint1985, SJM liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall