daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:28 AM   #121
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Grand Central Tower should be a Megatall. A megatall and the significance/importance/history of Grand Central Station go hand in hand... heck, even the word "Grand" in the name "Grand Central Station" describes a megatall better than anything else in NYC..well, except "Empire" of course..but since ESB is already there, it's Grand Central's turn
Any mega tall, ie over 600m, would have a very skinny top. How else could you meet the FAR zoning on these sites? It might be a glorified spire if the attempted to get that high. I would prefer something along the lines of 500m with a decent and substantial roof.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #122
Cyclonefan

Likes (Received): 1

So when do we start hearing the details about the height and whatnot?
Cyclonefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #123
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Quit talking nonsense. Everybody here knows that's never going to happen.
depends on what your definition of megatall is, if it's 500 meters than there is a slight possiblilty, likely with some structural element. If 600, then probably not, I doubt midtown will see something like that for a while.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #124
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay

depends on what your definition of megatall is, if it's 500 meters than there is a slight possiblilty, likely with some structural element. If 600, then probably not, I doubt midtown will see something like that for a while.
A megatall is official 600m
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #125
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

it feels like all these new plots have a very tiny footprint. similar to all these towers at dubai marina, i expect very thin, very tall towers, although i'm not quite sure if i will be a fan of it.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #126
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22489

most of NY's old masterpieces are thin towers. i'm hoping the new supertalls in midtown will blend in nicely.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #127
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Residential buildings are thin and tall to maximize space with windows and height for views
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #128
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This would be nice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALOctober 17, 2012, 9:41 p.m. ET.Untangling the Grand Central Snarl .
By LAURA KUSISTO

These are a few of the proposals by architects who want to transform Grand Central Terminal from a chaotic beehive back to its former glory as a stately entry point to the city for the many thousands of commuters and tourists who use it each day.

The Department of City Planning has proposed a rezoning of the area around Grand Central, including parts of Park and Madison avenues, to allow for a handful of new office towers, some of which could rival iconic buildings in Shanghai, Dubai and London.

As part of the proposed rezoning, some developers would be required to donate to a fund to make infrastructure upgrades in the area, including building additional stairways to access the subway platforms in Grand Central and a pedestrian mall on Vanderbilt Avenue.

But some want to see more ambitious solutions to Grand Central's pedestrian traffic jams, which are only expected to increase with the addition of more office space and new commuter access to the terminal by the Long Island Rail Road.

"What's in it for the public?" said Roger Duffy, a design partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, an architecture firm.

The firm was one of three asked by the Municipal Art Society of New York, a nonprofit, to submit proposals about how to redesign public space in the area. The group plans to unveil the submissions at a conference Thursday, which it hopes will influence city planners as they contemplates upgrades to the area. The proposed rezoning is still in the early stages of the public approval process.

"Grand Central itself is our most beloved landmark. It's the center of commercial New York. It's also a neighborhood. But yet, the area over the years, it has become somewhat disconnected and a little lonely at times, particularly in the evening," said Vin Cipolla, president of MAS.

The ideas from the architects have thus far found a receptive audience with the department. "I look forward to seeing the concepts that the MAS teams have put forward and to continuing conversations with the public about critical pedestrian and transit network improvements that can accompany future development in East Midtown," City Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden said in a statement.

The most visually striking proposal, designed by Skidmore Owings, is a halo suspended between two new office buildings that would move up and down. It would give visitors a view of the city from different heights, similar to the London Eye.

The firm says it has consulted with engineers and the proposal is technically feasible, but the bigger challenge would be to ensure that the government and owners of potential new office towers could work together.

"That's kind of radical. Currently there's a divide between the public and private," Mr. Duffy said.

The firm of WXY Architecture created a design for an elevated pedestrian walkway on the current Park Avenue Viaduct with a glass bottom and seasonal plantings similar to the High Line.

"Our strategy was the dream of the near-future being a lot better," said Claire Weisz, a founding partner at WXY.

Foster + Partners, which designed the Hearst Tower near Columbus Circle, stuck to more incremental changes, such as creating a pedestrian plaza on Vanderbilt Avenue, increasing the heights of the pedestrian tunnels and creating more open, visible entrances to the terminal.

"It's one of the most wonderful civic spaces anywhere in the world," said Brandon Haw, a senior partner. "Nonetheless, it is very difficult to navigate."

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 18th, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #129
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

Wow! Where did you find that?

EDIT: Thanks for editing your post!

Last edited by Coddington; October 18th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #130
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Is that even physically possible?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #131
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11191

That's for alien landing
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #132
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

@ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
"The firm says it has consulted with engineers and the proposal is technically feasible, but the bigger challenge would be to ensure that the government and owners of potential new office towers could work together."
It seems to be!
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #133
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddington View Post
Wow! Where did you find that?

EDIT: Thanks for editing your post!
De nada!

These are mere proposals, but one thing's for sure: In ten years the area around GCT will be amazing and will have several supertalls. Interestingly, not long ago, this area was a dump.
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #134
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Hahaha, that's just insane. Maybe one day?! It would be one of the most fantastic buildings in the world with this "giant ring."
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #135
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This would be nice.

Insanely incredible!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #136
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The proposed skyscraper on the right (I.e., the east side of GCT) is on the site of the stunning old Commodore Hotel, which the barbaric Donald Trump reclad in glass and is now a Grand Hyatt. Fortunately, that site has so many air rights that within 20 years, it will be redeveloped as a supertall. That makes the loss of the great old building somewhat less painful.

The grand past

The sad present (thanks to Trump)

The spectacular future (or at least something tall and great)

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 18th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #137
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

While it's so hilariously awesome that I'm giddy, it's too big. You don't need anywhere near that much room for an observation deck.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #138
hadeer992

Likes (Received): 11

I thought Stark Tower was proposed in this location, according to the Avengers :/
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #139
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Looks really awesome . Would love to see it build like this!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #140
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

As if the ring itself is not crazy enough it is mentioned in the article it would eventually move up and down to provide viewpoints from different heights Somehow I doubt this design will be chosen and approved but I sure would love to see it
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall