daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1441
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
@stig

Don't forget Tower Verre silly!
Thanks Marshall!

And I thought I missed a building! But I added it in there, right between ESB and Rockefellar

One57 and Tower Verre create a nice transition from the 200m Plateau to the 400m towers! Looks very layered which is great, also I think that the ESB finally looks at home and isn't so lonely anymore

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:19 AM   #1442
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Here's the link:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/env_review/eis.shtml
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:33 AM   #1443
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

Future Central Park South by cityrealty_nyc, on Flickr
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:47 AM   #1444
LondoniumLex
BANNED

This displays how nicely the crown integrates the interlocking pieces.

Old October 21st, 2014, 05:13 AM   #1445
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

The Grand Central Terminal facade at street level is crude and unsightly. They really should incorporate the McKim, Mead, and White's 51 East 42nd Street building instead (without the upper floors).
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:16 AM   #1446
LondoniumLex
BANNED

You never have anything positive to say about NY. Any city in the world would love to have this tower.
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:21 AM   #1447
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

How would you know what I say? You haven't been on here as long as I have, or rather you have, but keep on creating new accounts after being banned, Robert Walpole.

Anyways, I'm not criticizing the tower in its entirety, rather pointing out a major design flaw which can be fixed beautifully with what's already there.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #1448
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Here's my list of most anticipated projects in order:
1) Nordstrom
2) Tower Verre
3) One Vanderbilt
4) Steinway
5) 30 Hudson Yards
6) 3 WTC
7) 3 Hudson Blvd

That's how excited I am about One Vanderbilt. Not only is the design great.. The increase in height took it up just a hair over the Steinway in my book.

2 WTC would be my #1 if this goes back in queue for imminent verticality.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, Tower Dude liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:47 AM   #1449
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
How would you know what I say? You haven't been on here as long as I have, or rather you have, but keep on creating new accounts after being banned, Robert Walpole.

Anyways, I'm not criticizing the tower in its entirety, rather pointing out a major design flaw which can be fixed beautifully with what's already there.
Just mention something along the lines of Chicago being better than New York and you'll really set him off.

In all seriousness, the design is okay. I feel like if the setbacks were lowered and the tapering effect wasn't so abrupt near the top that this would appear to be a really streamlined tower. Always glad to see new development though.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM   #1450
BLACKDAHLIA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 106

From NYGUY @SKYSCRAPERPAGE

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...r-application/

City Planning Certifies Vanderbilt Corridor Application

By Tobias Salinger
10/20/14

Quote:
The Department of City Planning certified a five-block rezoning application today for a stretch of Vanderbilt Avenue adjacent to Grand Central Terminal in Midtown East that includes SL Green Realty Corp.‘s proposed 67-story, 1.3-million-square-foot 1 Vanderbilt office tower.

The announcement officially kicks off the city’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, sending the contentious plan for successive evaluations by Manhattan Community Boards 5 and 6, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, the City Planning Commission and finally to the City Council. The certification could also restart the momentum behind the larger 73-block Midtown East rezoning that failed in the City Council last year.

Officials with the Real Estate Board of New York welcomed news of the application’s certification.

“The Vanderbilt Corridor rezoning is an integral step to ensuring that Midtown Manhattan maintains its status as a global business center,” said REBNY President Steven Spinola in a prepared statement. “This project will result in brand new modern office space that tenants demand. This project includes detailed plans to improve the experience of commuting through Grand Central Terminal by adding staircases, opening up the mezzanine level to increase circulation and increasing space at track level which will ease congestion. These improvements will ensure that businesses will continue to be attracted to Midtown Manhattan and generate more tax revenue to fund vital city services.

http://www.amny.com/opinion/editoria...rial-1.9526517

Grand Central skyscraper is tall on promise

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
October 20, 2014

Quote:
Here's the high concept: Real estate developer S.L. Green says it'll provide New York City with $210 million in urgently necessary East Side subway improvements -- provided the city lets it build a huge 1,400-foot-tall office tower on the west side of Grand Central Terminal in one of the most densely packed places in the galaxy.

We hope the city agrees. The land-use review procedure for 1 Vanderbilt started Monday -- seeking comments from workaday residents, transit professionals, planning gurus and project neighbors. A decision is expected in perhaps seven months. And while some questions demand detailed answers, the deal's essential outline is positive. The MTA needs to ensure to work toward the best project possible.

Its biggest selling point? That one's easy. In return for an OK to build far beyond the city's height limits, S.L. Green would invest $210 million in the packed, grungy Grand Central subway station to replace staircases, make the Times Square shuttle easier to find and use, and provide access to the long-awaited Long Island Rail Road's East Side Access line, among many other things. The city would not allow Green to occupy 1 Vanderbilt until the station improvements are done.

But isn't a 1,400-foot-high tower a bit much? Not necessarily. When finished, it would be the second-tallest office tower in New York -- outdone only by 1 World Trade Center at 1,776 feet. But with creation of a more modern transit network in midtown, bigger could be far better. At the moment many buildings in the east midtown commercial district are growing old and outdated -- too small for today's sprawling office demands and too old to handle the crushing push of modern electronics. If we want to keep up with Hong Kong and London, we can't rely on the city we built several generations ago.

Many regard 1 Vanderbilt as the vanguard of a push to bring midtown east up to global standards. We hope it is. The vitality of Manhattan has always relied in large part on an egalitarian transit system and a booming real estate market. There are many specific questions to ask about 1 Vanderbilt. But what we've seen is a fair start.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...199737&page=45

....NYGUY SHOULD COME ON SKYSCRAPERCITY!HIS POSTS ARE ALWAYS VERY ACCURATE AND WELL DOCUMENTED!

Last edited by BLACKDAHLIA; October 22nd, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
BLACKDAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #1451
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

is that roof or spire
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM   #1452
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDAHLIA View Post
NYGUY SHOULD COME ON SKYSCRAPERCITY!HIS POSTS ARE ALWAYS VERY ACCURATE AND WELL DOCUMENTED!
NYGuy rules the NY roost at SSP, he ain't going nowhere. Plus I think he hates a few prominent members here at SSC with a fiery passion.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #1453
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31709

I am not crazy about this tower. It looks like a design from the 90's. It is, in my opinion, not comparable in architectural quality to all the other tall and supertall projects popping up in Manhattan.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1454
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

It is more post modern meets deconstructionist than modern. It is trying to bridge the gap in that area where 2 of the most recognizable towers are the magnificent art-deco masterpieces that are the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building. This would allow for a neo-modern supertall to be built and not look out of place.
Is it the best?
No.
Is it by any means shabby for a supertall in Midtown Manhattan?
No!
Will People Kvetch?
Of course it's New York!
Will we get used/enjoy it?
Of course it's in New York!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1455
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Is it the best?
No.
Is it by any means shabby for a supertall in Midtown Manhattan?
No!
Will People Kvetch?
Of course it's New York!
Will we get used/enjoy it?
Of course it's in New York!
This is the best assessment of a proposed tower I've seen on here in a long time.

Tower Dude, citybooster liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 01:04 AM   #1456
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Aw thanks Marshall!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Pete86-80 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #1457
Pete86-80

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Thanks Marshall!

And I thought I missed a building! But I added it in there, right between ESB and Rockefellar

One57 and Tower Verre create a nice transition from the 200m Plateau to the 400m towers! Looks very layered which is great, also I think that the ESB finally looks at home and isn't so lonely anymore
But that's is what made ESB so great it stood alone. All the other buildings looked up 2 there KING. O well progress is progress. After 80 plus years ESB is getting sum neighbors.
Pete86-80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:12 AM   #1458
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion View Post
What do you want to call them?
So is this another of Robert's identities.? The Lion. A pompous English theme to go along with your pompous comments. Three Lions, the crest of Britain, etc. I suspect I am right. The pattern fits. Most of your nicks have been English and you hate the poor.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; October 23rd, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:18 AM   #1459
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
NYGuy rules the NY roost at SSP, he ain't going nowhere. Plus I think he hates a few prominent members here at SSC with a fiery passion.
YOu can't post on SSP at all. NYguy hate everyone if you say anything he doesn't agree with. He makes sure to keep SSP a small-time site with his unfriendly attitude.

SMCYB liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; October 23rd, 2014 at 03:29 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:55 AM   #1460
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

those renders are fantastic

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall