daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1501
nyc15

Likes (Received): 159

in case that we have a big spire , i think that one vanderbilt it will definitely break the 500m(1640ft) marker!!!
nyc15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #1502
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

would be awesome
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:09 AM   #1503
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

1500 ft+ for Manhattan? AHHHHH!!!!!

I don't give a shit about design! It's good enough! Another 1500+ footer for Manhattan... Wow... Now my hopes are all up for it to pass that. Maybe 500m+?
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:38 PM   #1504
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Another one bites the dust!

That filthy cafe on Vanderbilt and 43rd has closed!!

[IMG]
[/IMG]

desertpunk, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; November 3rd, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM   #1505
optimusprimal1

bomp bomp bomp anther one down another one down and another one bites the dust.

Trex-md, onewtclover, Eric Offereins liked this post
optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1506
LondoniumLex
BANNED

That's exactly the song that went through my mind when I saw the empty store.

Trex-md liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1507
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Looks like SLGreen is on sched to start demo by the end of the year.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:12 PM   #1508
optimusprimal1

yee haw time for a new tower here instead of the grungy slop thats here now.
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #1509
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimal1 View Post
bomp bomp bomp anther one down another one down and another one bites the dust.
well, we're talking about the city here so it might be something more along the lines of this...

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #1510
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

That cafe actually rules. They have a ton of good hot food during lunch.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1511
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
That cafe actually rules. They have a ton of good hot food during lunch.
Well, they had a ton of good hot food during lunch, they're closed down now. Not every non glamorous small business is a dump or dive. I'm a big fan of diners... well, in this instance at least it had to go, price of progress. I do love One Vanderbilt so I think in this case the tradeoff will be worth it... but I don't need fancy dining to enjoy a good meal.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1512
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

so from november 17th things may get interesting here.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1513
Sheam

Likes (Received): 2

I'm not in the subject), when they start to build or may have already begun?
Sheam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1514
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
so from november 17th things may get interesting here.
What's happening on Nov. 17th ?
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1515
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Per the sign posted in the window, they'll be cutting off gas and electric to the building.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #1516
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Good news! Demo to soon follow.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1517
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Per the sign posted in the window, they'll be cutting off gas and electric to the building.
Oh. I took the photo of that sign. I assumed that it just dealt with the cafe.

I was under the impression that Modell's would remain in that building through Christmas .
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #1518
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

It does say "to this building," but if you have reason to believe Modell's is staying then we should probably assume that the sign is just suffering from a case of non-specific bureaucratic language. Heh, anybody know how the utilities from the street work?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #1519
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I didn't notice that it referred to the whole building.

Several people at Modell's said they'd be there through Christmas, though their claims may very well be wrong.

I wonder what's going on with the two Irish pubs on 43rd. They're in different buildings from the cafe, though those buildings are part of this site.
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1520
LondoniumLex
BANNED

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/05...bookstore.html

Square Feet
By RACHEL ABRAMS
For 15 years, employees of Posman Books in Grand Central Terminal have perfected their response to six magic words: “I have a train to catch.”

“I think that we have always tried very hard to make it easy for our customers to come in in a hurry and grab something,” said Robert Fader, Posman’s vice president. “Of course, we encourage anyone to linger who has the time, and if the trains are delayed, so much the better.”

As the evening rush began on a recent Wednesday, several customers did linger, but not for the reasons Mr. Fader once relied on. The store will close its doors on Dec. 31, and some commuters wanted to buy a book, a card, a calendar, in a show of respect.

“I wanted to get some books to help them,” said Cynthia Cruz, who teaches poetry at Sarah Lawrence College and comes into the store several times a week. “I just figured it was another bookstore that was going away.”

Robert Fader is Posman’s vice president.
NICOLE BENGIVENO / THE NEW YORK TIMES
Bookstores around New York City have been disappearing for years, driven out by soaring rents and the overall gloomy economics of the publishing industry.

But Posman’s location in one of North America’s biggest transit hubs had always been among its biggest blessings, keeping it profitable, according to Mr. Fader. That fortunate locale, however, has now contributed to the store’s misfortune, because the shop is in the middle of two separate multibillion-dollar construction projects that are pushing it out.

SL Green Realty, one of the largest commercial landlords in New York, plans to build a 1,400-foot tower next to Grand Central at 1 Vanderbilt Avenue. Under an agreement that predates the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s oversight of Grand Central, SL Green has a right to take back the rear half of Posman’s space to support construction projects above ground, according to Aaron Donovan, a spokesman for the M.T.A.

And the M.T.A. is busy with its own $10 billion project to connect Grand Central with the Long Island Rail Road. Bracing for the surge of new passengers both projects will bring, the agency saw 1 Vanderbilt as an opportunity to increase space for pedestrian foot traffic.

Posman Books’ Grand Central Terminal store will close Dec. 31.
NICOLE BENGIVENO / THE NEW YORK TIMES
So SL Green and the M.T.A. reached an agreement: SL Green will use its space to build pillars, columns or whatever it may need for 1 Vanderbilt, but it will turn most of the area into a pedestrian thoroughfare, according to Mr. Donovan. When it finishes, the M.T.A. can turn the other half of the space back into a retail area, he said.

In the meantime, Posman’s floor space will be used for storage for other retailers that have lost space to the Long Island Rail Road project.

SL Green will pick up most of the bill. It has committed to spend $210 million on the walkway and other improvements to Grand Central, Mr. Donovan said.

The Rite Aid drugstore next door to Posman will remain open (its lease extends through 2019), although it will lose about 3,000 square feet of space, Mr. Donovan said. PIQ, a nearby gift store, will lose about 200 square feet.

Only Posman will close. The M.T.A. opted not to renew its lease when it expired in August, and the store has operated on a month-to-month basis since then.

Mr. Fader estimated that roughly 1,500 people stream through the door each day, nearly double Posman’s second-busiest location in Chelsea (Posman operates a third store in Rockefeller Center).

Many of those customers are tourists, others are commuters. Many are in a rush, and the store is designed to get them in and out quickly.

Some books are displayed on tables instead of shelves, to make it easier for customers to get a quick sense of the selection. Kent Peterson, 61, a merchandiser who has been with the store since it opened, even helped design the shelves underneath the tables so that more books could be displayed this way.

“This isn’t one of those stores where you’re going into some sort of labyrinth of confusion,” Mr. Fader said. “We can then take care of what it is they need and get them out of the door, and I think that there’s a sort of nice simplicity to that.”

The store also caters to popular tastes, unlike what Mr. Fader, 57, said were the snobbier independent booksellers of his native London and his earlier days in New York. (One store would not sell Stephen King novels, he recalled, although he declined to say which one.)

He carefully monitors the news to make sure that Posman has plenty of a potentially hot-selling book. The Harlequin romance section is always well stocked.

“We treat that area with the seriousness that we treat literature, if you like,” he said.

Posman is one of about 100 retailers and restaurants in Grand Central, roughly double the number when the M.T.A. undertook a major overhaul of the station in the 1990s to try to make better use of the space.

“There was a store selling baked potatoes and cooking with no kitchen exhaust,” said Nancy Marshall, the M.T.A.’s director of retail leasing and management for the terminal. “There was just a very unplanned method of retail within the building and the lack of any sort of cohesive mix.”

Now, the station tries to include a group of national retailers like Banana Republic and M.A.C. Cosmetics, although it prefers to keep restaurants more New York-centric, like Shake Shack, Junior’s and Two Boots pizza.

The M.T.A. also made cosmetic changes during the renovation. It removed a fake ceiling near the Oyster Bar, which has called the station home since 1913, making it Grand Central’s oldest business. Now, passengers walking in front can see the famous sky ceiling of the main concourse, with its depictions of stars and constellations.

Mr. Fader keeps reminders of a different Grand Central Terminal in his office. An old photograph of the main concourse, before another major construction project sprang up next door, hangs on his wall.

“The light can’t come in like that anymore,” he said. “It’s nice to think about it from a different time.”

More In Real Estate

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; November 6th, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall