daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1621

Likes (Received): 368

I don't want anything right by the Chrysler any taller.

SMCYB, sweet-d, k%, CCs77, Troopchina liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1622
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm pissed off by these buttinsky community boards sounding off objections and conditions, potentially blocking development of One Vanderbilt. Thankfully their rejections and games playing in itself cannot stop the project, but the City Council better not be derelict and refuse to greenlight this absolutely essential start to the rebuilding of Midtown East as a prime commercial zone... the Mayor had better be strongly urging his allies to back SL Green's proposal if he really is behind it, as he has stated. If not, I doubt any major developer is going to want to deal with the process and do anything there that will transform it for the new century. SL Green is going to spend a lot of money on essential upgrades to the infrastructure and won't be allowed to open the building until these improvements get done.... it would be an awful day should its opponents prevail in the City Council vote after the review process is done in a few months.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1623
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I'm pissed off by these buttinsky community boards sounding off objections and conditions, potentially blocking development of One Vanderbilt. Thankfully their rejections and games playing in itself cannot stop the project, but the City Council better not be derelict and refuse to greenlight this absolutely essential start to the rebuilding of Midtown East as a prime commercial zone... the Mayor had better be strongly urging his allies to back SL Green's proposal if he really is behind it, as he has stated. If not, I doubt any major developer is going to want to deal with the process and do anything there that will transform it for the new century. SL Green is going to spend a lot of money on essential upgrades to the infrastructure and won't be allowed to open the building until these improvements get done.... it would be an awful day should its opponents prevail in the City Council vote after the review process is done in a few months.
I honestly don't get why the council is so against these developments...the only thing I could ever come up with is the fact that a lot of these kinds of projects get too much in the way of tax abatements (e.g. Hudson Yards), but that has never seemed to be the case with the push to rezone Midtown East.

What exactly is their problem? Is it a landmarks issue, because I have to say that has pretty much no sway with me, given the Met Life tower...

citybooster liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #1624
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28145

nimby influence?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #1625
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I honestly don't get why the council is so against these developments...the only thing I could ever come up with is the fact that a lot of these kinds of projects get too much in the way of tax abatements (e.g. Hudson Yards), but that has never seemed to be the case with the push to rezone Midtown East.

What exactly is their problem? Is it a landmarks issue, because I have to say that has pretty much no sway with me, given the Met Life tower...
what is so difficult to understand? this is a neighborhood which is already developed and have certain style and history. despite some truly idiotic decisions in the past like putting glass facade on Commodore hotel it still retains a very historic and also classic NYC look. One Vanderbilt is simply out of place there. not because of its height, but mostly because of its shiny looks which contrast heavily with the classic surroundings. If they want the process to go more smoothly they should offer a little bit more classic look with different materials and forms. I think that will do the trick. This is the center of the city so it is not the place where anything will be accepted without scrutiny.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Nonoka liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #1626
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16989

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
TD Bank Anchor tenant at 1 Vanderbilt!!!

http://nypost.com/2014/11/17/td-bank...ne-vanderbilt/
TD Bank is currently located in that building they are tearing down...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1627
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Bring it on!

audittidua liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1628
UTEPman

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
what is so difficult to understand? this is a neighborhood which is already developed and have certain style and history. despite some truly idiotic decisions in the past like putting glass facade on Commodore hotel it still retains a very historic and also classic NYC look. One Vanderbilt is simply out of place there. not because of its height, but mostly because of its shiny looks which contrast heavily with the classic surroundings. If they want the process to go more smoothly they should offer a little bit more classic look with different materials and forms. I think that will do the trick. This is the center of the city so it is not the place where anything will be accepted without scrutiny.
I walked all around Manhattan in October and I honestly don't get your issue with how it will affect the neighborhood. Yes there are a lot of historic buildings in that area, but the same could be said for nearly every part of developed Manhattan. My favorite part of the island to walk and observe the architecture was Downtown, which has a great mix of old and new.

I don't think the WTC towers or anything else with glass ruins that part of town, and I certainly don't see how this development would ruin the look and feel of the neighborhood around the Chrysler building.

Troopchina liked this post
UTEPman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #1629
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

This would be the biggest addition to midtown since The BoA building. I agree, I don't see how this would ruin the neighborhood or the Chrysler Building.

Troopchina liked this post
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:14 AM   #1630
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

this looks great those city officials oboiusly don't want to redevelop midtown east as this looks great.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:36 AM   #1631
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

Funny how Toronto Dominion will HQ in a larger building in NYC than its actual headquarters in Toronto..

Mind you their actual headquarters are a Mies masterpiece which more than makes up for its shorter stature.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM   #1632
hateman

Likes (Received): 1796

The top portion needs work. The design is all muddled there.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

Crowns n' Spires liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 06:39 PM   #1633
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I think it looks great.
Old January 4th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #1634
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

I don't have much of an issue with the crown. Even if it's a little wonky it's eye catching, which in my opinion is better than having a 1.5x taller shard.

Here are some drawings dug up by NYguy over at SSP.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #1635
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I love the north-south views of the crown. I also love how the tower has a pyramid-type form that tapers from the base. I eagerly welcome this 1450' masterpiece!

I also like how the different "pieces" of the crown, but for the tallest centerpiece, are the culminations of different folds on the skin as it tapers upward.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; January 4th, 2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #1636
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I walked all around Manhattan in October and I honestly don't get your issue with how it will affect the neighborhood. Yes there are a lot of historic buildings in that area, but the same could be said for nearly every part of developed Manhattan. My favorite part of the island to walk and observe the architecture was Downtown, which has a great mix of old and new.

I don't think the WTC towers or anything else with glass ruins that part of town, and I certainly don't see how this development would ruin the look and feel of the neighborhood around the Chrysler building.
Well, IMHO, once you walk around this particular area you will notice that it is pretty much not jut one of two buildings but a collection of different styles in one great ansamble. So if you want to get into this area you need to propose something a way more traditional at least in the lower floors. Just glass will not do the job properly.

Also each area of the island is very different. In the west side you will find huge number of different slums. I see no problem at all to get rid of all of them and build with as much glass or whatever else as someone may see fit. But you also build not just one but many buildings and nothing will create such a dissonance like you will see here. Same thing like West side is out WTC where you have lots of very glassy contemporary things.

But over here something needs to be done about this design. Bring the tower more up - I have no problem with it, but make the bottom of it look more like beginning of 20th century with carved stone, terracotta and etc.

p.s. I also thing that Roosevelt hotel needs to be on a protected list. It is a great old hotel and I'd hate to see it go.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #1637
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22493

The buildings on the left are the sacrificial pawns for this future supertall. Nothing worth crying over.

New York, Central Station and Chrysler Building by kazina crediza, on Flickr

citybooster, McSky liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #1638
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post

But over here something needs to be done about this design. Bring the tower more up - I have no problem with it, but make the bottom of it look more like beginning of 20th century with carved stone, terracotta and etc.

p.s. I also thing that Roosevelt hotel needs to be on a protected list. It is a great old hotel and I'd hate to see it go.
I like the design... there's already some terra cotta in the base though I'm not against more earth materials especially on the base, though overall I'm very happy with this tower. It's really grown on me... really enjoyed Londonium's rendered graphs. I do wholeheartedly though support your call to landmark and preserve the historic Roosevelt Hotel.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #1639
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
I love the north-south views of the crown. I also love how the tower has a pyramid-type form that tapers from the base. I eagerly welcome this 1450' masterpiece!

I also like how the different "pieces" of the crown, but for the tallest centerpiece, are the culminations of different folds on the skin as it tapers upward.
Well said! I could not agree more. This tower will be an amazing addition to New York.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #1640
LondoniumLex
BANNED

This would be nice:

http://m.ny.curbed.com/archives/2015...rian_plaza.php

57th&1st liked this post

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall