daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
ģ Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #161
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I read the whole article before you told me to. As I understand som's proposal is one of concept ideas for the redevelopment of the area meaning in future it can eventually became real proposal and then build in this or similar state so I see no reason to not comment on it.
You must've not read this part:

"The [SOM] was one of three asked by the Municipal Art Society of New York, a nonprofit, to submit proposals about how to redesign public space in the area. The group plans to unveil the submissions at a conference Thursday, which it hopes will influence city planners as they contemplate upgrades to the area. The proposed rezoning is still in the early stages of the public approval process..."

I.e. A non profit that has zero connection or significant influence over the city, any branch of city government, or any NYC developer, and a non profit that the city is no way shape or form required to give a platform to present its findings, let alone abide by its findings, presented the city with basically something they think would be cool, with no appreciation for how much it would cost. Yeah, seems legit.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #162
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

What's your point exactly? Are you saying it has zero chance of getting real one day? Because I sure see nobody here saying it's sure deal and construction starts tomorrow. People are expressing theirs opinion about the possibility of such structure in this location. What's wrong about that?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #163
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

The rign is intersting idea, but it's not for New York City. Maby it's for china ora UAE... But the towers are awesome, but it would be good, if they were higher.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #164
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

I attended a meeting at the Hyatt some years back. I did not realize that it was not a relatively new building. What a travesty. It could probably be reversed, though, by someone with vision...
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #165
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 817

I think it looks ridiculous. If they just want to link two towers, they should have a bridge, like Petronas towers. A huge ring like that should be used for linking multiple towers, otherwise it looks forced and out of place.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #166
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

i like it lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #167
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

This ring is hideous. What a horrible way to ruin the city
Ummmmm, how is this horrible? This is the problem with you people who are all too traditional. The ring looks amazing, I love it. Plus the idea is so spectacular, I'd pay to go up there probably once a month.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #168
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22489

It would be an interesting marker for grand central but aesthetically i dont like it at all. It's something you'd expect to see in a theme park in the middle of Manhattan.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #169
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

it looks amazing.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #170
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28144

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Ummmmm, how is this horrible? This is the problem with you people who are all too traditional. The ring looks amazing, I love it. Plus the idea is so spectacular, I'd pay to go up there probably once a month.
It will be awesome to go up in that thing.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #171
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This would be nice.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALOctober 17, 2012, 9:41 p.m. ET.Untangling the Grand Central Snarl .
By LAURA KUSISTO

These are a few of the proposals by architects who want to transform Grand Central Terminal from a chaotic beehive back to its former glory as a stately entry point to the city for the many thousands of commuters and tourists who use it each day.

The Department of City Planning has proposed a rezoning of the area around Grand Central, including parts of Park and Madison avenues, to allow for a handful of new office towers, some of which could rival iconic buildings in Shanghai, Dubai and London.

As part of the proposed rezoning, some developers would be required to donate to a fund to make infrastructure upgrades in the area, including building additional stairways to access the subway platforms in Grand Central and a pedestrian mall on Vanderbilt Avenue.

But some want to see more ambitious solutions to Grand Central's pedestrian traffic jams, which are only expected to increase with the addition of more office space and new commuter access to the terminal by the Long Island Rail Road.

"What's in it for the public?" said Roger Duffy, a design partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, an architecture firm.

The firm was one of three asked by the Municipal Art Society of New York, a nonprofit, to submit proposals about how to redesign public space in the area. The group plans to unveil the submissions at a conference Thursday, which it hopes will influence city planners as they contemplates upgrades to the area. The proposed rezoning is still in the early stages of the public approval process.

"Grand Central itself is our most beloved landmark. It's the center of commercial New York. It's also a neighborhood. But yet, the area over the years, it has become somewhat disconnected and a little lonely at times, particularly in the evening," said Vin Cipolla, president of MAS.

The ideas from the architects have thus far found a receptive audience with the department. "I look forward to seeing the concepts that the MAS teams have put forward and to continuing conversations with the public about critical pedestrian and transit network improvements that can accompany future development in East Midtown," City Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden said in a statement.

The most visually striking proposal, designed by Skidmore Owings, is a halo suspended between two new office buildings that would move up and down. It would give visitors a view of the city from different heights, similar to the London Eye.

The firm says it has consulted with engineers and the proposal is technically feasible, but the bigger challenge would be to ensure that the government and owners of potential new office towers could work together.

"That's kind of radical. Currently there's a divide between the public and private," Mr. Duffy said.

The firm of WXY Architecture created a design for an elevated pedestrian walkway on the current Park Avenue Viaduct with a glass bottom and seasonal plantings similar to the High Line.

"Our strategy was the dream of the near-future being a lot better," said Claire Weisz, a founding partner at WXY.

Foster + Partners, which designed the Hearst Tower near Columbus Circle, stuck to more incremental changes, such as creating a pedestrian plaza on Vanderbilt Avenue, increasing the heights of the pedestrian tunnels and creating more open, visible entrances to the terminal.

"It's one of the most wonderful civic spaces anywhere in the world," said Brandon Haw, a senior partner. "Nonetheless, it is very difficult to navigate."
Robert, can you put this info and the render in the first post of this thread? That will make it easier to find back in a couple of weeks.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #172
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

I love this proposal. I really hope it gets built, but I doubt it will.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #173
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

this building is a topic here

http://events.origindigital.com/summ...hp?action=skip

there's already been a massing model

Last edited by Hudson11; October 19th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #174
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

When you listen to them carefully, you can only imagine what kind of grand area this one will be after the redevelopment of that area. <3

[IMG]http://i48.************/14wr21h.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2lnbssw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2vd3442.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.************/2vt8r4m.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by germantower; October 19th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #175
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #176
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Amazing project! As i have understood, the ring will move between floors?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #177
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12567

Never Gonna Happen. Ever.
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #178
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Never Gonna Happen. Ever.
That's unfortunate. Ok everyone, project cancelled. Hed Kandi says it's not possible
just pulling your leg.

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #179
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2712

Honestly it's a sort of Shard rip-off. I'm not a fan really.

This plot deserves something really spectacular and inspired.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #180
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

It actually looks more like KPF's north tower at the HY.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall