daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #1841
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

That's it!! The whole process has finally come to term. One Vanderbilt and Vanderbilt Corridor passed. Let the building commence.

Next Up! ... Millstein's 335 Madison Avenue:Cheers:

1 Vanderbilt Gets the Go-Ahead from City Council
http://commercialobserver.com/2015/0...-city-council/

Quote:
The New York City Council this afternoon unanimously approved SL Green Realty Corp.’s proposal for a new office tower, 1 Vanderbilt, in the heart of Midtown East. The Council also gave the green light for the rezoning of the Vanderbilt Corridor, the five-block stretch that spans from East 42nd to East 47th Streets.

“It is time to unlock the economic development potential in East Midtown,” said Council Member Daniel R. Garodnick in prepared remarks. “The area has gotten stuck in outdated rules, and has lost some of its competitiveness over time. That is going to change today, starting with the Vanderbilt Corridor—where we will open the door to additional density in exchange for much-needed improvements to our transit system.”

As Commercial Observer previously reported, SL Green has made a commitment to deliver $220 million in the form of public improvements to ensure the building rises. These upgrades include building new direct subway access points and circulation areas in and around Grand Central Terminal to ease the congestion of the popular 4, 5 and 6 subway lines and constructing a new, three-story public transit entrance.

“Featuring world-class architecture, pioneering sustainability standards, and modern flexible floor-plates that global companies demand, 1 Vanderbilt will usher in an exciting new era for East Midtown,” said Marc Holliday, the chief executive officer of SL Green, in a statement. “1 Vanderbilt will deliver critically-needed, state-of-the-art Class A office space and dramatically upgrade Grand Central’s aging, over-burdened transit infrastructure.”

The building at 1 Vanderbilt, designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox, is expected to create 5,200 construction jobs and 190 permanent union jobs.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #1842
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

Great news! This building screams "New York" to me more than any of the other supertalls going up.

Troopchina liked this post
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #1843
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 587

Here's hoping they include a world class restaurant and observation deck!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #1844
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

building looks like a vertically stretched ESB so new york.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #1845
Vertical_Gotham

New York City Council Grants Final Approval to SL Green's One Vanderbilt Office Tower
http://investor.shareholder.com/slg/...leaseID=915108

Quote:
The 63-story skyscraper will be 1,501 feet tall and contain 1.6 million square feet of Class A commercial space. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF), One Vanderbilt's architecture and building materials pay homage to the landmarked Terminal and the surrounding East Midtown business district.
Re: Hudson Spire
This is evidence that floor count doesn't indicate a towers height. The Hudson Spire is to have aprox 61 floors vs. One Vandy's 63 fl count. I believe the Hudson Spire could potentially end up being pretty comparable height wise to One Vanderbilt imo.

citybooster liked this post
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #1846
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
New York City Council Grants Final Approval to SL Green's One Vanderbilt Office Tower

This is evidence that floor count doesn't indicate a towers height. The Hudson Spire is to have aprox 61 floors vs. One Vandy's 63 fl count. I believe the Hudson Spire could potentially end up being pretty comparable height wise to One Vanderbilt imo.
Doesn't the FAR play into that, as well?
If the Hudson Spire is on a smaller lot, with less FAR (and is subsequently eating up air rights to surpass those limitations), it would be a "thinner" building.

It seems to me that 1 Vandy is a very wide building at the base, and tapers fairly gradually towards the spire.

*in other words, I think we may need to pay attention the actual sq. footage that a potential Hudson Spire development could have, rather than just the floor-count.

citybooster liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #1847
Vertical_Gotham

the Hidson Spire is larger site and has 2.8 msf vs. 1.6msf for Vanderbilt. The Hudson Spire would be a larger building than One Vanderbilt if made aprox same height.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #1848
phoenixboi08

Quote:
the Hidson Spire is larger site and has 2.8 msf vs. 1.6msf for Vanderbilt. The Hudson Spire would be a larger building than One Vanderbilt if made aprox same height.
Got it.
Old May 28th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #1849
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:

We don't know how many floors Hudson Spire will have though. Or Vanderbilt for that matter. We've heard a few different figures. I always wait for something more official than articles since they are notorious for getting figures wrong
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #1850
Vertical_Gotham

That information was provided by the developer today (SL Green) in a press release. It's their info, not the media outlets.

And for the Hudson Spire:

The aprox, 61 floors is from TS application for the Hudson Spire, so it's what we have to go by for now.

http://goodjobsny.org/sites/default/...%20Package.pdf

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 28th, 2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #1851
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

^Noting the application does say "approximately 61" floors so there's room to play here if they so desire it. The building they develop in my opinion has to be taller than any so far in the HY radius, if not 1,800 ft as the early teasers for "Hudson Spire" getting to1,500-1,600ft with a grand crown or spire.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #1852
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Ah okay @VG, if they say it's 1,501' and 63 floors then it is. I know the building will be tall, but even with the crown/spire 63 floors is a very low floor count. I guess only skyscraper nerds like me care.

The cancelled American Commerce Center in Philly was also a ~1500 footer with 63 floors, funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
^Noting the application does say "approximately 61" floors so there's room to play here if they so desire it. The building they develop in my opinion has to be taller than any so far in the HY radius, if not 1,800 ft as the early teasers for "Hudson Spire" getting to1,500-1,600ft with a grand crown or spire.
It doesn't "have to be" taller but it would obviously be nice.

It doesn't say 61 floors there but that's the most recent floor count we've gotten although it obviously may not be final.

Walpole keeps claiming it'll be 13-1400 feet, which I think is optimistic but certainly possible.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #1853
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

What I meant was that the best thing would be to stand out and give more identity to the West Side.... I love HY but I think something taller accentuates the West Side better. Though the Frank McCourt property opposite Brookfield might offer with around 750,000 square feet a supertall of 1.400 ft or so. It doesn't have to be taller of course, but in the best possible scenario it sure indeed would be VERY nice!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #1854
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #1855
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1021

Does no one else think the crown/spire if this tower looks incredibly poorly implemented? The tower sort of just stops, and there's no real sense if coherent proportion between the two.

Maybe it's just the angle of the renders so far, as the crown doesn't look too bad in that last render, but I don't have my hopes up.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #1856
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Does no one else think the crown/spire if this tower looks incredibly poorly implemented? The tower sort of just stops, and there's no real sense if coherent proportion between the two.

Maybe it's just the angle of the renders so far, as the crown doesn't look too bad in that last render, but I don't have my hopes up.
No, you're hardly the only one. I've seen angles where I love it, and angles where I absolutely loathe it. By far the best I've seen so far is in VisualHouse's NY 2030 render:

The problem with that is, 1) it raises the question of whether or not it'll really look like that when it's lit up, and how will it look when it's not; and 2) that's an angle no one is ever going to see it from except in a helicopter. The renders I've seen looking up from the ground (AKA, the angle most people will see it from by far) have generally looked pretty crummy. But I also suspect it's going to continue to be refined and revised -- they're still a long way from breaking ground, after all.

Soriehlam liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #1857
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
No, you're hardly the only one. I've seen angles where I love it, and angles where I absolutely loathe it. By far the best I've seen so far is in VisualHouse's NY 2030 render:

The problem with that is, 1) it raises the question of whether or not it'll really look like that when it's lit up, and how will it look when it's not; and 2) that's an angle no one is ever going to see it from except in a helicopter. The renders I've seen looking up from the ground (AKA, the angle most people will see it from by far) have generally looked pretty crummy. But I also suspect it's going to continue to be refined and revised -- they're still a long way from breaking ground, after all.
I've always secretly thought it and 15Penn ought to switch crowns...

MarshallKnight liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #1858
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I've always secretly thought it and 15Penn ought to switch crowns...
Okay, you just blew my mind.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1859
lwetli

Likes (Received): 424

Sweet!

Untitled by lance wetli, on Flickr
Old May 31st, 2015, 01:05 AM   #1860
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

This plot could have so much potential but the spire completely screwed the entire design. Maybe the tower will be nice once complete but I don't like the render designs due to the horribly planned spire.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall