daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #1881
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Props to the developer for not building a flat roofed blue tinted glass box.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #1882
MichaelHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Another supertall icon for NYC!

Old June 27th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1883
ZARDOZ

Likes (Received): 1

For those who still can, check out what's being demolished to make way for Vanderbilt Tower. The existing building on the corner features some scrollwork and some carved figures at the uppermost floors. Unfortunately this artwork in stone cannot really be appreciated from street level. It would be terrific if somebody could either salvage this artwork, or at least take some eye-level photos of it prior to demolition.
ZARDOZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #1884
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post109590676
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #1885
Blemardud7

Likes (Received): 0

What's going on with this building? there is a severe lack of updates every time I come here. I thought this building had the green light & was under construction. is it on hold? does anyone even care about this building?
Blemardud7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #1886
(:

Likes (Received): 229

They are still clearing out the occupants of the current structure, as of now their is very little visual progress as well as little activity in the political aspects of the tower. It's not from lack of interest but rather the lack of subjects to discuss. Please consider reading previous pages.

robertitoam liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #1887
robertitoam

Likes (Received): 198

When will demolition start?
robertitoam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #1888
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertitoam View Post
When will demolition start?
what is the post directly preceding yours?

(:, yankeesfan1000, teles448, SMCYB liked this post
cd7890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #1889
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARDOZ View Post
For those who still can, check out what's being demolished to make way for Vanderbilt Tower. The existing building on the corner features some scrollwork and some carved figures at the uppermost floors. Unfortunately this artwork in stone cannot really be appreciated from street level. It would be terrific if somebody could either salvage this artwork, or at least take some eye-level photos of it prior to demolition.
I kid you not, I walked over there about an hour ago, before reading this. And I sat there and admired the buildings there. It's sad they're going because they're definitely beautiful pre-war buildings, and there's much uglier buildings in the area that could go. But so is the case in NYC
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #1890
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5303

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I kid you not, I walked over there about an hour ago, before reading this. And I sat there and admired the buildings there. It's sad they're going because they're definitely beautiful pre-war buildings, and there's much uglier buildings in the area that could go. But so is the case in NYC
100% agree.

All tenants of 5 buildings to be demolished has left for now. (TD Bank should have moved out last weekend). Demo should be starting soon.

I will miss this white building. I wish they could preserve the facade.

Old July 27th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #1891
Patrick Highrise
visit the world

Likes (Received): 2911

The lower part is really nice. It really looks like the floors above that were an addition later on? (not a nice one imo!)
2017: Patagonië / Patagonia / Stockholm - India Ladakh (sept) - wandeldagen in de bergen van Ladakh - Boedapest (okt)
2018: Liverpool (mrt) - Wenen (mei) - Tanzania-Kilimanjaro (juni)
Patrick Highrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1892
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
I will miss this white building. I wish they could preserve the facade.
Agreed, that building is gorgeous -- the upper floors maybe not so much, but the lower 4-5 stories are of particularly high quality. Funny enough, with the current design of One Vanderbilt, it seems they actually could preserve the existing building and just cantilever over it.

But of course a big part of the appeal of the current design is the airiness of all that glass and the sightlines to GCT. As great as that old masonry building is, I think trying to preserve and incorporate it would muck up the overall appearance of the base.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:43 AM   #1893
Marek SVK

Likes (Received): 12

Any updates of this thread?
Thx
Marek SVK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:43 AM   #1894
rjee

Likes (Received): 33

oh my god, I am so disappointed and shocked that these beautiful buildings will be torn down in order for One Vanderbilt to be erected. It's such a huge shame! These buildings are the ones that New York is famous for and not soulless, rectangular giants :/ I mean of course I love seeing all these new skyscrapers being built and I couldn't be happier about it but sustaining the classical beauty of the city should remain fundamental too.
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:58 AM   #1895
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

There are thousands of others just like these. They won't be missed and none of NYCs soul will be lost in the process.

Shaddorry liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #1896
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

That's the same thing that was said back in the 90s before the city was completely gentrified from its brutal era. Ask old school New Yorkers, NOT transplants, what they think of the city now and they will tell you it lost its soul and that they preferred it back in the day instead of now.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #1897
Dubai Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
That's the same thing that was said back in the 90s before the city was completely gentrified from its brutal era. Ask old school New Yorkers, NOT transplants, what they think of the city now and they will tell you it lost its soul and that they preferred it back in the day instead of now.
According to this logic we should still live in wooden barracks. Right, how could these people of the ancient times replace them with buildings out of clay and stone?!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #1898
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Ask old school New Yorkers, NOT transplants, what they think of the city now and they will tell you it lost its soul and that they preferred it back in the day instead of now.

Now that's just not true, most New Yorkers are glad that the city got cleaned up. You will find that most people who lived in NYC from the 70's to the early 90's do not miss the big rotten apple of yesteryear even though they complain about the current state of the city.

You only need to look back at things like the crack epidemic, a looming city bankruptcy, public transit (subways specifically) being far more dangerous than today, constant killings and all other the other social ills of the era to notice that the people longing for the "good" old days are just seeing history through rose tinted glasses.

streetscapeer, 57th&1st liked this post
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #1899
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yeah, the photos from that era show a hellhole.

Shaddorry liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1900
tparkerzut

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Now go ask the generation before these 'old school' New Yorkers what they thought about NYC in the late 20th century, and then go ask the generation before that what they though about how NYC changed during their generation. We always romanticize previous periods and/or the era's that we grew up in. People always talk about in my day. This will never change. Chances are in 50 years some people who have been living in NYC for a long time will romanticize the low crime, gentrifying, skyscraper booming, billionaire row etc. etc. etc. era of the 2010's. Cities change, especially American cities.

Not saying we need to demolish everything. I think these buildings are beautiful and it would be nice if One Vanderbilt could go up on top of some ugly buildings. However I love this tower and think it will look amazing now and in decades to come.

Tags
1 vanderbilt, 51 e.42nd st., midtown, new york, nyc, supertall