daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #41
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

the ronery one?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #42
endar
someah sareng kayungyun

Likes (Received): 8081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Another one of my favorites is the CN Tower
gee. same, me too

source

source

source

sooooo coooll
endar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #43
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I see there is growing religion around this "interesting" person already

As for saving the world, there will definitely won't be mercy for north korea
You did understand that I was joking right ?
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #44
patrykus

Unlike you that I was sarcastic, yes I did
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #45
patrykus

Oh well so maybe I will post mine now.

Since you are not asking for existing buildings here is princess to rule them all, beauty of beauties: Rusian Tower. Everything is perfect here from cladding, trough interior to height. Fosters first megatal that he still is waiting for. That guy is pure genious Tower once U/C, now dead

Wtc twins of course

India Tower another beauty from norman foster

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #46
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

I love Norman Fosters designs, he is definitely one of my favorite architects.
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #47
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

OMFG I forgot about Russia Tower!!! Definitely would have been one of my favourites if built.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #48
patrykus

Finally we agree on something guys Let the great architecture unite us

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #49
ThatOneGuy

I know these are old news... but I still liked them, somewhat.
Forgot the name of the complex but it was cancelled long ago.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #50
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Finally we agree on something guys Let the great architecture unite us
I can agree with that, Russia Tower was a beauty. The facade was what really sold it, the detailing on it was amazing.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #51
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

As an American, the failure of these buildings was like a shot to the heart for me.

Chicago Spire - Here is the good news, because of this starting construction, there is a chance that whatever gets built there should have a somewhat similar design, and if nothing is built till the next boom, there is a good chance that what replaces it could be a supertall.

Here is an edit I did, that is what I hope we may see in the future

Waldorf Astoria Chicago - Sadly, this is one that we will most likely never see, definitely not at this site

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; June 13th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #52
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
As an American, the failure of these buildings was like a shot to the heart for me.

Chicago Spire - Here is the good news, because of this starting construction, there is a chance that whatever gets built there should have a somewhat similar design, and if nothing is built till the next boom, there is a good chance that what replaces it could be a supertall.

Here is an edit I did, that is what I hope we may see in the future

Waldorf Astoria Chicago - Sadly, this is one that we will most likely never see, definitely not at this site

image hosted on flickr

I'm starting to like the Spire... Just not it's placement Nd the Waldorf! Lord have mercy! That thing was just pure beauty. Definitely would of been by second or third favorite building if built.

I would always love the Illinois

And The Miglin Skyneedle

ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #53
ThatOneGuy

Ah yes... the Illinois. Ahead of its time, really.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #54
ThatOneGuy

My favourite skyscraper just kidding
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #55
patrykus

I personally find that ironic that many americans loves the illinois but hates the burj, or better yet kingdom tower, which is very similar.

As for the Chicago Spire it is pretty decent thing, but really, doesn't fit boxy Chicago. If anything twisting Turning Torso would be a better choice and I personally like that one much more - definitely much more classy and less "***** like" tower.

Last edited by patrykus; June 13th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #56
ChiSkyline

Quote:
I personally find that ironic that many americans loves the illinois but hates the burj, or better yet kingdom tower, which is very similar.

As for the Chicago Spire it is pretty decent thing, but really, doesn't fit boxy Chicago. If anything twisting Turning Torso would be a better choice and I personally like that one much more - definitely much more classy and less "***** like" tower.
I like The Illinoise better than the Burj by a mile! The Burj just looks like a a bunch of cylinders with various heights. while the Illinois looks like a bunch of shards.

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...592-role-call/

I honestly don't think the Illinois and the Burj looks similar besides the triangular shape.

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...-illinois.html

I loved the Kindom Tower, it looked pretty close to the Illinois tower (minus the decks).

The Illinois

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....fa-wrong-.html

The Kindom Tower

http://fe57.com/architecture/kingdom...th-gordon-gill

The Burj Khalifa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

They all have similaritiesbut I personally prefer the Illinois Tower. For some reason I think its just presented the best out of the 3. The thin, shard on top of shard look has my vote.

I agree that the Chicago Spire wouldn't fit Chicago in any form or shape, just the piece itself is pretty decent. The turning torso would look better in the skyline then the spire. I agree with that 100%
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #57
patrykus

Well I just don't get it. For me it looks like a bias. Both kingdom and burj khalifa are elegant tall towers which actually got build or will be in the near future, while the illinois is just some vague concept drawing. With no details, with no cladding. And yet people tell me it's best. I'm not even sure if this really was possible in the times of frank lloyd. Some says it was complete and ready project, but somehow I have never seen more than few vague drawings. The tallest build tower by him was 67m Prince Tower. I respect Frank for his job, the fallingwater mansion is one of the coolest thing I ever saw but I feel like americans here treat him like some kind of national hero, while lets be honest, illinois if build would be most iconic building ever, but it was just what it was, a vague vision. After tests in the wind tunnel it would probably look much different than on the drawings anyway, so it's hard for me to understand comparing it to the realistic buildings other than national pride. It would be the same if I said that I like x-seed 4000 more than burj. Only what's the point? One is realistic existing building and one just a simple 3d model.

Old June 13th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #58
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Well I just don't get it. For me it looks like a bias. Both kingdom and burj khalifa are elegant tall towers which actually got build or will be in the near future, while the illinois is just some vague concept drawing. With no details, with no cladding. And yet people tell me it's best. I'm not even sure if this really was possible in the times of frank lloyd. Some says it was complete and ready project, but somehow I have never seen more than few vague drawings. The tallest build tower by him was 67m Prince Tower. I respect Frank for his job, the fallingwater mansion is one of the coolest thing I ever saw but I feel like americans here treat him like some kind of national hero, while lets be honest, illinois if build would be most iconic building ever, but it was just what it was, a vague vision. After tests in the wind tunnel it would probably look much different than on the drawings anyway, so it's hard for me to understand comparing it to the realistic buildings other than national pride. It would be the same if I said that I like x-seed 4000 more than burj. Only what's the point? One is realistic existing building and one just a simple 3d model.
It makes logical sence that people would chose the Illinois over the Burj or Kindom. I mean from the begining the project has been known as a visionary. Just by the drawing, the design looks amazing. There's no 3D rendering that shows exactly how the supertall should look. But the drawing looks absolutely stunning. The Burj is blahhhhh, nothing special, besides the height. Just looks like a bunch of used cigarettes crumbled up together. The Kindom tower is pretty decent. I just prefer the Illinois. When I look at the 3 buildings thats the one that catches my eye. The project would never move out from being a visionary cause from the start thats what it was called. Reality or not the supertall would also be amazing IMO.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #59
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:

I love the Burj Dubai, and the Kingdom Tower. I also probably prefer the Illinois though. Miglin Beitler was pretty amazing, but after further consideration, the setbacks were a bit sporadic. Still, it was still a 9/10 design, and would have been incredible.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #60
patrykus

I'm not telling anyone what to like more of course. It just doesn't make sense to me calling burj ugly and illinois masterpiece in the same time. Many people will tell you they are very similar.

Tags
skyscrapers