daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old June 10th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #41
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I don't think any really, really wealthy area can be comprised of nothing short of individual, single-detaches homes.

To share a wall or a lift with neighbors automatically degrades the experience of luxury and exclusive living.
Mayfair, Chelsea, Knightsbridge???
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 11th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #42
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakres View Post
TriBeCa is actually a very expensive hood in NY but people sacrifice space and privacy for an urban and vibrant environment. I guess its the same in Europe??¿¿, If you start to feel claustrophobia I guess you just go to your home at the Hamptons or something.

Must say, space is important for me (and it seems for many pple in America), and there are just a handful cities where I would sacrifice space and privacy for other factors.
+1 If I'm very wealthy I would want my own house with a spacious yard and lots of privacy.
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #43
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 2000

Oh but what about the buzz of a city pad? World's most expensive property until a few years ago were apartments. One Hyde Park in London,
$220 million a pop, complete with bullet and bomb proofing and tunnels for 24 hr 5 star services at the adjacent department stores.
What you pay for is the premium of having a large property in Knightsbridge, where a car parking space goes for $850,000:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; June 11th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #44
isakres

Likes (Received): 2231

London looks good, and yeah the buzz of a city pad is exciting but not all cities offer that vibe. Just a handful of them has it and are that business strategic IMO.

Btw, I will love to see Moscow and Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
+1 If I'm very wealthy I would want my own house with a spacious yard and lots of privacy.
It aslo depend on which stage of your life you are living (single entrepreneurs may choose urban flats), but overall must say we North Americans are more prone for spacious properties ..............and big cars jeje.

Last edited by isakres; June 11th, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
isakres está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #45
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 2000

'Billionaire's Row' by Kensington Gardens, London. Each house is like a palace for half a mile. The one above where it says Kensington Palace Gardens was once the world's most expensive property when it sold for $182 million in 2007 to Indian steel magnate, Lakshmi Mittal. It has a garage for over 200 cars:

A year later he bought this smaller property in the same street - but with all the furniture and antiques inside for his son Aditya, for $229 million

Regents Park has its own more bijoux version, on an island strip:

The worlds most expensive rowhomes (60 beds each anyone?), the Regency palaces of Nash and Palladio - every 5 windows along is a new house:

Carlton House Terrace - these very rarely come onto the market. In 2007 an offer of $240 million was put down but refused by the owners. No 24 was sold in 2006 to the Hinduja family for $100 million:

Park Crescent

Cumberland Terrace

London Business School (converted)

Belgrave Square, one property sold in 2008 for $150 million:

One of 6 art deco apartments sold here (one per floor), 12 milliseconds after it came onto the market for $230 million, at the time becoming the worlds most expensive property. It's in the exclusive St James' district in the centre. This little block has the potential to become the world's most expensive $1.2 billion building if it all sold:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; June 11th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 867

For Metro Manila, the downtown area is the wealthiest especially the primary CBD of Makati and most of the areas surrounding it. Also some parts of Fort Bonifacio.

The areas within Makati CBD especially Salcedo and Legaspi Village are the most expensive commercial properties in Metro Manila.

The residential enclaves surrounding the CBD such as Bel Air, San Lorenzo, Dasmariñas, Urdaneta and Forbes Park are some of the wealthiest in Metro Manila with the latter two as the most expensive.

Forbes Park homes

Other wealthy areas in Metro Manila would be in Midtown especially the areas surrounding Ortigas Centre and Greenhills in San Juan.

In the south, Alabang Hills and Ayala Alabang are also among the wealthiest.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; June 11th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #47
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 867

Panoramic shots of The Makati area taken by me

Bel Air Village with Fort Bonifacio and Makati CBD on the background.
image hosted on flickr

Forbes Park and Dasmariñas Village with Makati CBD on the background.
image hosted on flickr

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #48
Fitzrovian

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Mayfair, Chelsea, Knightsbridge???
LOL someone needs to remind Suburbanist that the most expensive real estate in the world is in fact found in some of the busiest urban locations where single family homes with big yards are virtually non-existent - Central London, Manhattan, Monte Carlo, etc. It seems that many of the ultra wealthy do actually prefer the indignity of luxury apartment buildings or row houses (and are willing to pay crazy money for it) to his suburban utopia.

Some zip codes in West London command average prices of around 3000 GBP per square foot. I seriously doubt there is any single family home area in the world that can rival these prices.
Fitzrovian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #49
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
LOL someone needs to remind Suburbanist that the most expensive real estate in the world is in fact found in some of the busiest urban locations where single family homes with big yards are virtually non-existent - Central London, Manhattan, Monte Carlo, etc. It seems that many of the ultra wealthy do actually prefer the indignity of luxury apartment buildings or row houses (and are willing to pay crazy money for it) to his suburban utopia.

Some zip codes in West London command average prices of around 3000 GBP per square foot. I seriously doubt there is any single family home area in the world that can rival these prices.
Not taking a side here, but I wonder how many of them have a single family home somewhere else? The wealthy may choose urban living for a portion of their time, but I have to think that it often isn't their only residence.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #50
Fitzrovian

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Not taking a side here, but I wonder how many of them have a single family home somewhere else? The wealthy may choose urban living for a portion of their time, but I have to think that it often isn't their only residence.
Well yes of course, but that's not the point. Suburbanist made the bizarre claim that any really wealthy area must consist of detached single family homes. In fact, the wealthiest zip codes in the UK (and probably all of Europe outside of Monte Carlo) are in Central London where detached housing is almost non-existent.
Fitzrovian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #51
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
My favorites neighborhoods so far (Djurgården & Östermalm)
How old are houses in that neighborhood? Looks very "old money" to me.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #52
megacity30

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Well yes of course, but that's not the point. Suburbanist made the bizarre claim that any really wealthy area must consist of detached single family homes. In fact, the wealthiest zip codes in the UK (and probably all of Europe outside of Monte Carlo) are in Central London where detached housing is almost non-existent.
In all fairness, Suburbanist is viewing this from an American standpoint.
Except for the largest cities in the U.S., the wealthiest areas are usually detached residential estates in smaller cities and towns.

Apartments in the inner cities of smaller towns and cities are usually not the most desirable.

However, in most other parts of the world, the wealthiest urban neighbourhoods are usually near or in the city centres.
megacity30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #53
Ancient Ninja

Likes (Received): 0

I live in Bellevue, Washington, a wealthy suburb of Seattle.

The wealthiest neighborhood here (and in all of the Pacific Northwest) would have to be Medina, where Bill Gates lives.
Ancient Ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #54
isakres

Likes (Received): 2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
Dont know how old r them but indeed looks like old money. The neighborhood looks very charming and indeed loved the architechture. Not sure if I would choose an urban flat in stockholm but the first district looks really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Ninja View Post
I live in Bellevue, Washington, a wealthy suburb of Seattle.

The wealthiest neighborhood here (and in all of the Pacific Northwest) would have to be Medina, where Bill Gates lives.

Pics?

Last edited by isakres; June 12th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
isakres está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #55
megacity30

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Pics?
The residential estates of Medina, one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in the Pacific North-West (USA):

megacity30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #56
HS
I am the passanger

Likes (Received): 1122

I though Mercer Island was the wealthiest area in Seattle metro.
HS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #57
Adde

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
The Östermalm area was heavily developed in the late 1800's, so most of the buildings are from that period. Djurgården was developed around the same time, maybe a bit earlier, say between 1800-1900. At the time, neither area really represented old money, because they were built by the "new money" of the time, the families that made their fortunes during the industrial revolution of the late 1700's and 1800's. Of course, today that is old money.

The old money (mostly the aristocracy) already had palaces in Stockholm and castles/estates in the countryside.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #58
gabrielbabb

Likes (Received): 522

Most of western and southern part of Mexico City is medium class, but there are some zones like Polanco, "Lomas", "Bosques" and "Pedregal" which are considered the wealthiest, where houses can get up to US$20,000,000

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by gabrielbabb; June 12th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
gabrielbabb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #59
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 5524

I think that the wealthiest area in my smallish town (70,000 pop in town, 100,000 including immediately surrounding villages and rural areas) is the inner suburb of 'Kingsland' which is adjacent to the town centre and main park, about 10 minutes walk from my house but much further in wealth terms

Big detached 19th century properties there go for between £0.75m and £1.75m as in these examples.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...8.html/nomsite

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...9.html/nomsite

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...1.html/nomsite

There are also some high-end apartments and rowhouses in the centre itself which may sometimes be more per sqm even if not as expensive in total.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

And some of the wealthiest people like to live in the rural areas outside the town in big mansions or farmhouses, possibly with an apartment in London too when people are this wealthy, here are a couple of nice examples of very expensive properties in rural villages a couple of kms outside the urban area...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...2.html/nomsite

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...2.html/nomsite
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #60
dj4life

Likes (Received): 13693

Quote:
Dont know how old r them but indeed looks like old money. The neighborhood looks very charming and indeed loved the architechture. Not sure if I would choose an urban flat in stockholm but the first district looks really cool.
Well, there are plenty of well-preserved historical houses in downtown Stockholm where the prices of flats are pretty high. Even some of the more average looking houses can be attractive due to the planning and incorporation with the green areas.
Östermalm is, actually, and interesting case because it is clearly one of the outsatanding districts in Scandinavia that gains more and more value. Many famous houses located in Strandvägen were built before the Expo exhibition which took place in Stockholm in the XIX century and the owners of the houses were some of the richest people in Sweden at that time. Nowadays the very rich people can buy flats with some 11 rooms with the great view towards the old royal park in Djurgården.
In Stockholm this district is something like London City, but more oriented for a living purpose.
Also, Djurgården is an old settlement with some castle-like villas. It is a chamring place and, actually, there are nice open promenades open for everyone to walk by the water and enjoy the nice atmosphere.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote