daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the CTBUH architectural height measurement ?
Yes(explain below) 24 47.06%
No(explain below) 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #81
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I apologize for replying this late. I wasn't on the forum during last week, but now that I'm back I will answer all questions. First of all I would like to thank everybody in this thread for their opinions, no matter what they are because my roof height measurement is a work in progress and every "beta tester" helps me to make it better and more refined. Thank you for your replies

As to the case of Burj Khalifa, I agree with LAF2 that the roof height of 747 meters is not the best decision I made. At that time I thought making the width limit 9 meters or 30 feet would be the best, however later I started doubting if that was a good move. because of this I have decided to review my measurement system. I will post it with all details in a separate thread tomorrow. Just for a sneak peek, I changed the 9m/30f width limit to 15 meters or 50 feet but I will list this in greater detail tomorrow

Btw, yes, LAF2, there is a rule that a geometrical section must be at least 50 % as wide as the geometrical section below it. But there are other rules which shape this 50 % rule as well, so I'll list them tomorrow

univer liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #82
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Alright, thanks for the explanation Jano. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with. Emporis has main roof height at 2,426 feet, but I don't know how they got that number. It'll be interesting seeing what you come up with.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #83
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

Kanto, you should not call your measurement roof height, since roof height is already defined and it just contributes to confusion. Maybe it should be called K-Height instead or something
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #84
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

If we gave it enough support here, we could get K-Height to be recognized on a larger scale. It's certainly well thought out.

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #85
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Kanto, you should not call your measurement roof height, since roof height is already defined and it just contributes to confusion. Maybe it should be called K-Height instead or something
There is an official definition of roof height? Where could I find it? I thought roof height didn't have any exact official definitions
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:58 PM   #86
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...TC-Debate.aspx

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/op...ncy.html?_r=2&

article regarding 1WTC and CTBUH's heights
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #87
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Those are very good articles, thanks for posting

Although they do not provide a concrete measurement system of roof height. I've searched as well and haven't found any that would go in depth as defining what is roof height.

I only found a short definition on Emporis and I don't buy Emporis' definition at all because of two things:

1, Solid Crowns and parapets are indistinguishable from the rest of the building and look like part of the building. Measuring only 'til the top floor plate would mean that 98 % of all buildings would be cut many meters below their visual structural top, seemingly randomly. This would be identical to the seemingly random differentiation between a spire and an antenna.

2, Many modern buildings don't have any top floor plate at all, and on the other hand, many buildings have such a plate as support on the tip of their open air lattice crowns or spires. This makes the heights decided by this system even more random.

To put the long story short, Emporis' roof height is far worse than CTBUH's official architectural height

The good thing is, Emporis isn't an official skyscraper height council, so it is just as official as my roof height definition is. Because of that I think that my height measurement does have the right to be called roof height. A roof is not a top floor plate, a roof is the top of a building, above it, there are only addons while below it, there is the building itself. Parapets and solid crowns meet this definition

Btw, if I'm gonna succeed in my studies and become a structural engineer, then one day I plan on pursuing roof height promotion and I hope that the more refined roof height measurement I am making (it's a work in progress) will one day be recognized by the architectural and engineering community

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote