daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #61
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 34041

the city has everything that a visitor can ask for......a vibrant city center with those fine looking buildings of old architecture and most specially the medieval? castle.
One thing I've noticed which I guess is the other name of Cardiff (which is hard to pronouce) in your title and also in some of your photos....Is that in Celtic language of Wales if there is one?
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #62
Cariad

Likes (Received): 319

Cardiff is the "English" name for the city. Caerdydd is the Welsh name.

Yes, Wales has it's own Celtic language of Welsh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language

Bristol Mike liked this post
Cariad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #63
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacanti View Post
Thanks for the pictures!!!!
No problem. Thank you and glad you like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
It always suprises me how urban British cities look. Even less known and less populated places like Cardiff. Nice city, fine thread!
It's true, and especially considering its size, it punches well above its weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innotect View Post
Some great pics of Cardiff on here. I've been living in the city for a couple of years now and I have fallen in love with the place. Right now there are plans to extend the city, and from what I have seen of the plans I fear it may soon start to lose it's appeal. Cardiff is small for a city, but especially small for a Capitol... but its compact size makes it such a wonderful place to live.
I agree though I have not seen these plans. One thing that must be done is make the walk between the city centre and the Bay a lot more pleasant. Okay, it's not unpleasant at the moment but it lacks interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
the city has everything that a visitor can ask for......a vibrant city center with those fine looking buildings of old architecture and most specially the medieval? castle.
One thing I've noticed which I guess is the other name of Cardiff (which is hard to pronouce) in your title and also in some of your photos....Is that in Celtic language of Wales if there is one?
As Cariad has explained below, Cardiff is the lazyman's way of pronouncing the actual Welsh name. This is the case in many places in Wales. e.g. Newport in Welsh is 'Casnewydd', or Swansea is 'Abertawe'.

Yes, Cardiff has some really fine buildings. It is interesting for me coming from Bristol which is not far away as the buildings are from a completely different era to many of the Georgian and pre-Georgian architecture in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariad View Post
Cardiff is the "English" name for the city. Caerdydd is the Welsh name.

Yes, Wales has it's own Celtic language of Welsh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language
Thanks for that!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #64
DaveF12

Likes (Received): 246

Cardiff is one lovely and interesting city.

Bristol Mike liked this post
DaveF12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:07 PM   #65
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

It certainly is. Wales should be proud of its capital!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote