daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #1
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

List of Countries Without Motorways/Highways/Autobahns

I am interested in knowing the list of all countries which currently have no motorways in the definition of what we know of a road that has at least two two lanes on each direction, central reservation, hard shoulder (emergency lane) and controlled acess system.

The only country I can think of now is Montenegro although I think Moldova, Malta and Latvia also have no motorways.

Last edited by shpirtkosova; June 19th, 2012 at 04:06 AM.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Latvia and Estonia spring to mind... San Marino, Vatican ? Lichtenstein ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and lot more Pacific Island nations...
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

Vatican City?

I don't believe most African countries have dual carriageways either.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #5
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Burma (Myanmar)?
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Skyprince
Asian boi

Smaller island nations and many countries in Africa, Asia & maybe some in Latin America ( am not sure abt Surinam or French Guiana etc )

In Asia, I think Laos , Myanmar, Cambodia, Nepal, Bhutan , Mongolia, Yemen, Bangladesh Tajikistan , Kyrgyzstan, North Korea, Syria don't have well-established modern inter-city highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Latvia and Estonia spring to mind...
Seriously??
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Angulo

Likes (Received): 3662

Belarus, North Korea, Cuba, Haiti.
Angulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Monaco and Andorra.

However Belarus has motorways.

Maybe Iceland hasn't.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Madagascar
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Several misassuptions in this thread already.

Cuba, Belarus, Myanmar, North Korea and Syria do have motorways.

The largest country without motorways is probably the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). 71 million people and only a few thousand kilometers of paved road. Nigeria does have some motorways in Lagos and Abuja and several long-distance dual carriageways.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

solchante, irrational_pi liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Arbenit

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulo View Post
Belarus, North Korea, Cuba, Haiti.
Actually, from this list, as much as I know, only Haiti does not have motorways.

Belarus has pretty good motorways!

Motorway in North Korea:

Motorway in Cuba:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS.ban View Post

Brilliant minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people
Arbenit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #12
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Belarus does not only have decent motorways, they also have Streetview, the Yandex version: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CRRmuLLD

In Europe, the only ones that come to mind are:
- Montenegro;
- Moldova;
- Estonia;
- A bunch of micro states like Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican City, Malta.

Last edited by woutero; June 19th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I can think of Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, Liechtenstein... San Marino has a dual carriageway AFAIK.

But now, even fictional countries, like Charliland (The mine one), Norscand, or the Koana Islands, have motorways!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #14
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Maldives Tuvalu Nauru Seyshelles Mauritius Capo Verde Papua New Guinea, etc...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #15
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Regarding Cuba, the motorways there would not satisfy the definition in the opening post. Some stretches might, but generally there is no central reservation, no access control (horses and carriage commonly seen on the very right-hand side of the road), turn-offs are often at-grade and there are even level train crossings. Nonetheless, these roads are perceived in Cuba as autopista.

Comparable situations will apply in many other developing nations. It's just what you do when you do not want to spend the full monty on a motorway: first you sacrifice the hard shoulder, then minor turn-offs are built at-grade, finally you allow non-motorised traffic on the road. It's something that you see happening for various reasons in nations as developed as the UK and Italy. Yet due to their overall function and driving speeds, these routes operate as the de-facto motorways of developing countries.

In that light, you inevitably end on a slippery slope when determining whether a country has motorways or not. I would count Cuba notwithstanding the deficiences mentioned above. Among the countries without motorways (not even when the definitions is made a bit flexible), you can count a lot of island states and vast parts of Africa. Among the others, I could add the following states that have not been mentioned:

Americas: Belize, Guatemala, Bolivia, Surinam, Guyana, Paraguay.
Asia: Cambodia, Laos, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal, Mongolia, most of the Central Asian countries
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I can think of Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican, Liechtenstein... San Marino has a dual carriageway AFAIK.

But now, even fictional countries, like Charliland (The mine one), Norscand, or the Koana Islands, have motorways!
Even though Liechtenstein itself has no motorways, it still has the best motorway links, with Swiss and Austrian motorways at either side, with clear visibility of the Swiss motorway in the border area...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Burma (Myanmar)?
Myanmar has a highway system
image hosted on flickr

Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #18
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14293

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Americas: Belize, Guatemala, Bolivia, Surinam, Guyana, Paraguay.
LOL!

Belize:

Guatemala:

Surinam:

Paraguay:

BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #19
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Regarding Cuba, the motorways there would not satisfy the definition in the opening post. Some stretches might, but generally there is no central reservation, no access control (horses and carriage commonly seen on the very right-hand side of the road), turn-offs are often at-grade and there are even level train crossings. Nonetheless, these roads are perceived in Cuba as autopista.
I've traveled most of autopistas (except the southern ones) and they all had central reservation, acces control (if they're some horses on it then also Serbian, Romanian and some other motorways wouldn't count as such just few years ago) and I've not seen turnofs at grade. Yes there is one level train crossing - but I think that such exist (or existed) even in USA and Netherlands.

However they are done as it was usual for motorways of sixties, they didn't improve with time (yet).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #20
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Below is a photo that I took in 2005. At-grade turn-off and a central reservation not really worth the name, all in one picture. But maybe the picture is not fully representative. For the rest, you have a valid point when you say that Cuba built its autopistas sixty years back and that the main issue is that improvements elsewhere (train crossings, which we indeed had in NL until the 1980s) never made their way to Cuba.

Blackraven, Namibija liked this post
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote