daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Matthew Le God

Likes (Received): 0

SOUTHAMPTON | Proposed St Mary's redevelopment and expansion

The Liebherr estate have huge plans for the club! First the £15 million spent on upgrading the existing Staplewood training ground and category 1 academy.

Staplewood Training ground in the New Forest - currently under construction

Now this...

(the stadium images are taken from the DVD that comes with the 2012/13 season tickets)

A clearer image from the DVD...

Still in the very early stages, but looks impressive.

Last edited by Matthew Le God; June 19th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Matthew Le God no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
JimB

Likes (Received): 512

Certainly improves the exterior hugely. Gets rid of that flat pack look.

Proposed new capacity? Any renders of the interior?
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Matthew Le God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Capacity? Any renders of the interior?
They haven't said what the capacity would be, I'd guess around 46,000 (possibly getting close to 50,000). Nor are there any pictures of the interior, still very early stages.

Last edited by Matthew Le God; June 20th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
derekhales
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales

Likes (Received): 62

Looks good. Have not been to St Marys since Charlton played there maybe 6 years ago now. Seem to remember the area around the stadium being a bit of a dive (no offence intended), has there been any development? seem to remember it being low rise council housing of the less attractive type. I only say that because it would be a shame a stadium that distinctive being located in that sort of area.
derekhales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #5
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 1884

Here's an updated render of the new training ground building:

Oh, those renders for the stadium expansion certainly look very promising. Exciting times ahead, well, that's if it all goes to plan.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Matthew Le God

That training ground picture above is old and no longer what it is going to look like. They have nearly tripled the budget since that image and the plans are very different now.

How it will look when finished in June 2013...

Last edited by Matthew Le God; June 19th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
RMB2007

Ah, I see. Looks cool, though:

I wonder if AFL Architects are also the people behind the design for expanding the stadium?
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Matthew Le God

I'd imagine there is a good chance AFL Architects are involved with the stadium, as they were for Staplewood. The club seem happy with them.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #9
RMB2007

Does the club own any of the land/buildings surrounding the stadium?
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #10
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 148

I like the training ground, it looks state of the art. If the stadium increase goes ahead and it is 45k then maybe St Mary's could be a host stadium for any future Euro bids or the in the unlikely event we go back in for a World Cup bid.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Matthew Le God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Does the club own any of the land/buildings surrounding the stadium?
Not alot, just a relatively small car park that wraps around the stadium, it may have to buy other area surrounding the stadium. At the moment the stadium is surrounded by an industrial estate.

Southampton City Council in January 2012 released a 2020 vision document, with the area surrounding the stadium regenerated. So they at least "seem" to support the club and want to develop the land. If not, chairman Nicola Cortese has said he wouldn't rule out building an entirely new stadium elsewhere despite St Mary's only being built in 2001.

Page 134 onwards in this...

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images...m46-314213.pdf

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 667

Is it true that one end of the stadium was engineered to be used as terracing if the law changed?
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Matthew Le God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadboy View Post
Is it true that one end of the stadium was engineered to be used as terracing if the law changed?
I don't think so, for safe standing I think it requires a different gradient and step height to regular seating and it is the same all the way round at St Mary's. The "Northam Stand" stand throughout games anyway and stewards don't stop them.
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #14
RMB2007

Maximum rake for standing terracing is 25 degrees. 34 degrees is the maximum rake for seated stands, which is what Rotherham have done with the stands in their new stadium.
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Scousertommy

Plans look good. Fair play to the Saints here.

I don't wish to be derogatory, but that looks around 45,000-50,000 seats. Could Southampton seriously fill a stadium of that size?
Scousertommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
mrddavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scousertommy View Post

I don't wish to be derogatory, but that looks around 45,000-50,000 seats. Could Southampton seriously fill a stadium of that size?
no.
mrddavies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Matthew Le God

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrddavies View Post
no.
Every season at St Mary's in the Premier League saw an average of over 30,000 with a huge number of games sold out and fans unable to get tickets. Even in the 2004/05 season with Rupert Lowe as the chairman we came 20th and were relegated Southampton averaged over 30,000.

Never before in the club's history have they had owners with both ambition and huge resources. If they can average over 30,000 whilst being relegated, who know how many would turn up if we actually had a decent team competing towards the top of the league...?

Multi billionaire Markus Liebherr had huge plans for the club when he brought it in League One to take it to competing towards the top of the English leagues again. No broken promises so far. The £15 million training ground improvement is now underway, these stadium images have been released, the club gained successive promotions from League One to the Premier League and has one of the best academies in the country and will get category one status under EPPP. Things are certainly on the up!

Last edited by Matthew Le God; June 20th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Scousertommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
Every season at St Mary's in the Premier League saw an average of over 30,000 with a huge number of games sold out and fans unable to get tickets. Even in the 2004/05 season with Rupert Lowe as the chairman we came 20th and were relegated Southampton averaged over 30,000.

Never before in the club's history have they had owners with both ambition and huge resources. If they can average over 30,000 whilst being relegated, who know how many would turn up if we actually had a decent team competing towards the top of the league...?

Multi billionaire Markus Liebherr had huge plans for the club when he brought it in League One to take it to competing towards the top of the English leagues again. No broken promises so far. The £15 million training ground improvement is now underway, these stadium images have been released, the club gained successive promotions from League One to the Premier League and has one of the best academies in the country and will get category one status under EPPP. Things are certainly on the up!

Good on you then!

The South coast is short of a big stadium and if England were to ever hold a World cup a stadium like that would be good for Southampton.

I must admit I still have reservations about you filling it, but if the owners are as rich as you say, better to be too big than too small. I'm sure you've read about my team (Liverpool) and their previous owners so don't count your chickens that they will delivery on promises just yet...!
Scousertommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Matthew Le God

Quote:
I must admit I still have reservations about you filling it, but if the owners are as rich as you say, better to be too big than too small.
What do you think Liverpool would average in a relegation season and finished 20th? The 30k average Southampton had would be impressive for a large number of English clubs in a relegation season. If they actually competed towards the top of the league I don't see why 40k+ averages wouldn't be possible.

For the majority of the club's history they were restricted/stunted by The Dell, that is no longer the case. The club is now growing significantly.

Quote:
I'm sure you've read about my team (Liverpool) and their previous owners so don't count your chickens that they will delivery on promises just yet...!
They have already delivered since the takeover in 2009...

- Promotion to the Premier League from League One in successive seasons.
- Broken the club's all time transfer record.
- A £15m training ground upgrade currently under construction in the New Forest.
- likely to achieve category one status for the academy.

Unlike Hicks and Gillett, they are good at backing up words with actions and resources. So when they release images of a stadium development, you would think it is more than a mere pipe dream.

Last edited by Matthew Le God; June 20th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Matthew Le God

The video the images came from...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z_ndrjHuxRo