search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 915

Notable facts and features of your native city

I thought I'd start this thread so that citizens of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford could share facts and features about their cities under the broad architectural/infrastructural theme.

To get the ball rolling I'll mention a few notable things about Dublin. We have;
  1. Europe's largest enclosed urban park - Phoenix Park.
  2. The world's tallest sculpture - the Spire and..
  3. Europe's tallest moving sculpture - Wave in the Parkwest Industrial Estate.
  4. The world's erstwhile largest brewery - St. James' Gate.
  5. The second-tallest obelisk in the world - The Wellington Testimonial in the Phoenix Park is surpassed only by the Washington Monument.
  6. The host of the greatest women-only event in the world - the Women's Mini-Marathon.
  7. Location of the world's oldest rugby ground - Lansdowne Road.
  8. Possibly the world's biggest stadium for an amateur sport - Croke Park.
  9. The oldest suburban railway line in the world.
  10. One of the world's three oldest zoos.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
thebig C

Likes (Received): 322

Good thread Dvblvnia!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Dvblvnia

Here are some more facts about Dublin I've discovered;

• Dublin has a candidate for the title of "World's Oldest Pub" - The Brazen Head has been operating since 1198 which puts it in range of being the most venerable drinking establishment on the planet.
  • O'Connell Bridge is the only bridge wider than it is long in Europe.
  • Dublin is the home of the world's first purpose-built bicameral parliament building. Now Bank of Ireland on College Green, it was the first building developed specifically to serve the purpose and has influenced the architectural style of the world's most important parliament building - the US Capitol. The British Museum's entrance was also based on its design.
  • Dublin's Point Depot was the world's second busiest entertainment venue in 2011, surpassed only by the Millennium Dome in London.
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Craig91

Likes (Received): 26

Time for some debunking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia
One of the largest, but I believe there's one in London twice as large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia
O'Connell Bridge is the only bridge wider than it is long in Europe.
This one's not even close to being true, but is often repeated. Think of all the places where motorways cross tiny rivers. Unless I'm missing some special definition of 'bridge', there must be tens of thousands of bridges in Europe wider than they are long. I doubt O'Connell bridge is even the widest, though it might be something like the longest bridge that's wider than it is long. :P
Craig91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2070

The Spire is the tallest sculpture in the world - fact or fiction?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Dvblvnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig91 View Post
Time for some debunking

One of the largest, but I believe there's one in London twice as large.
You're possibly thinking of Richmond Park, but that's classed as a suburban rather than urban park.

Quote:
This one's not even close to being true, but is often repeated. Think of all the places where motorways cross tiny rivers. Unless I'm missing some special definition of 'bridge', there must be tens of thousands of bridges in Europe wider than they are long. I doubt O'Connell bridge is even the widest, though it might be something like the longest bridge that's wider than it is long. :P
Motorways do cross tiny rivers but often with bridges which are at a substantial height and have significant length. Think of the Westlink Toll Bridge in Dublin. The bridge over the river is many times the breadth of the river.

These links, http://www.yelp.ie/biz/o-connell-bridge-dublin, http://goireland.about.com/od/tourin...h_oddities.htm and http://www.irishslang.co.za/knowledge.htm state that O'Connell Bridge is the only traffic bridge wider than it is long.
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Craig91

Quote:
You're possibly thinking of Richmond Park, but that's classed as a suburban rather than urban park.
I think it was Richmond, thanks (:

Don't really get the distinction between urban park and suburban park, as much of the Phoenix Park is surrounded by what would definitely be called the suburbs.

Quote:
Motorways do cross tiny rivers but often with bridges which are at a substantial height and have significant length. Think of the Westlink Toll Bridge in Dublin. The bridge over the river is many times the breadth of the river.

These links, http://www.yelp.ie/biz/o-connell-bridge-dublin, http://goireland.about.com/od/tourin...h_oddities.htm and http://www.irishslang.co.za/knowledge.htm state that O'Connell Bridge is the only traffic bridge wider than it is long.
Often, though far from always. Follow the M50 a little further north where it crosses Porterstown Road, it's about 45m wide but only 25 or so long. South, you can find another example where it crosses the railway line. Again, about twice as wide as it is long.

Your sources are people repeating a line that people say all the time without really thinking about.
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 508

- Dublin has the lowest density of any EU capitial.
- Dublin is the only EU capital without a rail link to the airport
- Dublin is 6th in Europe for traffic congestion

That O'Çonnell Bridge myth never goes away. There's another one about O'Connell Street being the widest street in Europe.. have these people ever left the island?
Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 103

Some interesting facts about Limerick..

Limerick was made a city before London was apparently!

The Limerick Soviet was created back when Ireland was ruled by britain. It was a completely seperate state from Ireland as they didnt want to be apart of britain. they were completely self sufficient growing their own food and even having their own currency!

Very interesting!

Also I think there is a programme about some of these tonight at half nine on rte, credence cities
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Seravia

Likes (Received): 30

Creedon's Cities is actually very interesting, I watched the Dublin and Galway ones. I'm not too fond of the presenter, but there are a lot of interesting facts and interviews.
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 103

It will be interesting to see what he says about limerick
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #12
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

I seen part of the Dublin one. I seen the peice when he went into the Poddle and then onto the Liffey. I always wondered what that big hole in the side of the wall looked like.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I seen part of the Dublin one. I seen the peice when he went into the Poddle and then onto the Liffey. I always wondered what that big hole in the side of the wall looked like.
Here's an RTÉ doc on the Poddle. Really interesting.
Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM   #14
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravia View Post
Creedon's Cities is actually very interesting, I watched the Dublin and Galway ones. I'm not too fond of the presenter, but there are a lot of interesting facts and interviews.

One critic not impressed...

Quote:
Creedon's Irish road trip: more clichés than rare oul' times . . .

John Boland

Saturday July 14 2012

Last summer, John Creedon took viewers on an extended road trip around Ireland, and the result was like being trapped in the drawing room of the couple next door while the husband gave a running commentary on their seemingly interminable holiday slide show.

Clearly, though, the series met with approval within RTÉ because now the radio dj has embarked on the four-part Creedon's Cities (RTÉ One), which over the next few weeks will take him to Cork, Galway and Limerick but which began by considering our largest metropolis.

"One of Cork's favourite sons gets under the skin of the capital" was the continuity announcer's introductory assurance, but in the event he did no such thing, eschewing insights in favour of clichés and codology, the latter at its most tiresomely buffoonish when he attempted to evoke Georgian ways by garbing himself in 18th-Century costume -- the effect of which, as he strolled self-consciously along the street, was to make him look like Robbie Coltrane's Dr Johnson in Blackadder the Third.

Meanwhile, the clichés kept coming. Dublin, we learned, was "a city of writers and rebels" in which "the love of language and literature is legendary", though the only writer mentioned was James Joyce, who, we were assured, "is not that inaccessible really".

But the film's real problem was that the clichés were more than just verbal, and so we were subjected to potted histories of such obvious subjects as the Liffey, the Custom House, St Michan's and the 1916 Rising, none of these trite mini-lectures conveying any indication that this amiable Corkonian was capable of bringing a fresh eye to our capital or even had anything quirky to say about it.

Indeed, at the end he was reduced to musing that "cities, just like people, are organic -- they keep on changing". For this I spent an hour of my time?

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...s-3168118.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaillimh View Post
- Dublin is the only EU capital without a rail link to the airport

That O'Çonnell Bridge myth never goes away. There's another one about O'Connell Street being the widest street in Europe.. have these people ever left the island?
Nonsense, Luxembourg and several Eastern European capitals have no rail link to the airport either. The "Dublin only EU capital without rail" comes from a time when no Eastern European countries were in the EU.

O'Connell Bridge certainly is correctly described as wider than long as it's implied that urban bridges only are being considered. Motorway bridges in rural areas obviously don't count.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Craig91

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
O'Connell Bridge certainly is correctly described as wider than long as it's implied that urban bridges only are being considered. Motorway bridges in rural areas obviously don't count.
I've only ever heard it repeated as "the only bridge in Europe wider than it is long." which is obviously wrong. Even with your added condition of 'urban bridge', it's still absolutely, obviously 100% wrong

Have a look at some of the bridges or along the canals or rail lines in Dublin, or motorways in urban areas. That, or just keep adding conditions until you're left with something like "Dublin is the only European capital with a bridge with two or more spans, wider than it is long, over the largest river that runs through the city." I'm not even sure if that's true, but you get my point.
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
I thought I'd start this thread so that citizens of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford could share facts and features about their cities under the broad architectural/infrastructural theme.

To get the ball rolling I'll mention a few notable things about Dublin. We have;
Hmm, I believe that it is the largest enclosed urban park of any European capital, but I'd say Pollok Park in Glasgow is bigger. It was the largest park in Europe prior to the city building a motorway through it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollok_Country_Park

Never the less, an interesting thread! I lived in Galway many years ago, but I'm afraid I have no facts to share.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #18
JD47

Quote:
I've only ever heard it repeated as "the only bridge in Europe wider than it is long." which is obviously wrong. Even with your added condition of 'urban bridge', it's still absolutely, obviously 100% wrong
It has been said that it is. Clearly we know that there is motorway bridges wider then longer but there is some truth in it.
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #19
Craig91

Quote:
It has been said that it is.
And it has been wrong.

Quote:
Clearly we know that there is motorway bridges wider then longer but there is some truth in it.
How can there be some truth in it when the claim is completely incorrect? The contradictions start less than a mile away, where the train line out of Connolly passes Seville Place. Or if train lines don't count, like motorways apparently don't for some reason, have a look at all the roads that cross Dublin's canals. Plenty of these are wider than long . I don't understand how anybody can think there's not likely thousands more examples of the same in European cities

As I said earlier; it's possible (though I doubt anybody has looked into it at all) that O' Connell Bridge may be the largest bridge in a European city that is wider than it is long, but this is not the factoid that people always claim. After a certain point so many conditions will need to be added that it ceases to become a 'notable fact', it's just something that is.

Last edited by Craig91; August 30th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #20
JD47

Quote:
And it has been wrong.

How can there be some truth in it when the claim is completely incorrect? The contradictions start less than a mile away, where the train line out of Connolly passes Seville Place. Or if train lines don't count, like motorways apparently don't for some reason, have a look at all the roads that cross Dublin's canals. Plenty of these are wider than long . I don't understand how anybody can think there's not likely thousands more examples of the same in European cities is.
Ok then, show me some examples and I want to see them compared to O'Connell Bridge. Show me the width and length of both.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: