daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15832

Skyscraper Dictionary

One problem with discussing skyscrapers is that they come in many forms and shapes. To deal with this, I thought it was a nice idea to come up with new names for different type of tall buildings. This threats is to distinguish these shapes. I'll kick this one off

Myscraper
- A skyscraper built for one person or one family

example: Antilia, Mymbai
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 16857

How to call buildings with finished exterior and nohing inside, which have never been occupied?
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15832

^ Ghostscraper has been used for empty skyscrapers. here is blogpost on these.

Those standing empty and squatter are sometimes referred to as Slumscrapers. Here is an article about a case in Venezuela.

Here is another visual definition of the Slumscraper, meaning large walls of dense buildings.
Jan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #4
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

No skyscraper deserves the cruel fate of abandonment.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Except for an extremely weak skyscraper which may collapse at any moment, like the Slaughterhotel or a skyscraper which is sinking into the ground like the South Padre Island Ocean Tower
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

how to compare a rectangle tower to a toothpick tower ???

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22515

The infamous Commieblock

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #8
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 16857

Skyline gap - an empty space between two skyscrapers that makes all the skyline look incomplete.
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9776

Skywall - Many similar sized highrises/skyscrapers placed close together, creating a wall-like skyline. Popular in Hong Kong.
image hosted on flickr

2011-02-24 Tin Shing Court - a public housing estate in Tin Shui Wai, New Territories by Pondspider, on Flickr
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

What would be the name of two skyscrapers connected by a bridge? I know the bridge itself is called a "skyway" but could there be an actual name for the connected buildings? Would they still be defined as "twin towers"? I came up with "combi-scrapers" and "uni-scrapers" but they don't immediately remind me of buildings linked by a bridge. The inspiration for my question occurred after discovering a wikimedia page with the title:

"Towers leaned against a wall by means of a bridge"

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...ns_of_a_bridge

They seem to have had a bit of trouble finding a name for these medieval versions. So did I, as a matter of fact. In the end all I could think of was "Towers leaned against a wall by means of a bridge".
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #11
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Except for an extremely weak skyscraper which may collapse at any moment, like the Slaughterhotel
More baseless rumors. Is this how you make decisions? Do you just believe anything you're told with no true evidence whatsoever? Its reinforced concrete, not to mention the triangle is one of the strongest architectural shapes possible. It's not going to collapse in our lifetimes, nor in the future generations lifetimes.
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #12
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
What would be the name of two skyscrapers connected by a bridge? I know the bridge itself is called a "skyway" but could there be an actual name for the connected buildings? Would they still be defined as "twin towers"? .
I'd say the Petronas and Federation buildings are twins.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Skywall - Many similar sized highrises/skyscrapers placed close together, creating a wall-like skyline. Popular in Hong Kong.
image hosted on flickr

2011-02-24 Tin Shing Court - a public housing estate in Tin Shui Wai, New Territories by Pondspider, on Flickr
In Hong Kong, we use the term "skyscraper walls". We have a thread about it in the HK section : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=463945

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #14
ThatOneGuy

Those skyscraper walls are, in my opinion, really scary. And that's what makes them cool
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
More baseless rumors. Is this how you make decisions? Do you just believe anything you're told with no true evidence whatsoever? Its reinforced concrete, not to mention the triangle is one of the strongest architectural shapes possible. It's not going to collapse in our lifetimes, nor in the future generations lifetimes.
The concrete used in its construction is of extremely poor quality. Nearly all web pages where the Slaughterhotel is mentioned report that. Also, the European Commision sent inspectors into the hotel, who reported extremely substandard quality of the concrete and problems with the elevator shafts. But a pic is worth a thousand words and you want hard evidence, so I'll give you the hard evidence you seek. I'm sure you have seen many pics of the Slaughterhotel from far away, but did you see close up pics from before they clad it?

[IMG]http://i48.************/4grxpy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/34hua6w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/2iav4aw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/ip2jw0.jpg[/IMG]

There is a concrete shell of an unfinished highrise close to where I live that has been exposed to the elements for many years, yet it is no where near as damaged as the Slaughterhotel, in fact, apart from the rebar on top of it, it appears undamaged and I walk by it at least once a month. On the other hand you can see huge structural damage on the Slaughterhotel

Btw, a bit more on topic remark, how should we call such a skyscraper? Crumblescraper?

Last edited by Kanto; June 25th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #16
ThatOneGuy

I've never once said the concrete was a high quality mix or that construction was good, But the concrete is reinforced and built in an extremely strong shape. And it mostly looks dirty to me besides a few chips...
The weird thing is, that the concrete used for some newer highrises (Mansudae Complex built in 2011) in North Korea looks MUCH worse than the concrete used for the Ryugyong.

After reinforcement that took a year (there are pictures of this) and underway construction, it can no longer be classified as a "ghostscraper"

These are ghostscrapers:

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 25th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The shape isn't that superbly strong. Yes, it is strong against wind, but weak against earthquakes or planes. The concrete is extremely weak, which sooner or later will be fatal to the tower. Concrete quality is vital to a building's structural integrity and the Slaughterhotel's concrete might just be unable to support the weight of itself

As to dirt, yes, there is dirt. But there are also many fractures, deformations, and around windows or exposed floor slabs we can also see crumbled concrete. None of this can be seen on the building concrete shell near to where I live which I mentioned before. The red lines in the first pic show the deformations. Orascom is merely putting glass on it, it has been noted on many web pages that it would take 2 billion dollars to even partially make the structure sufficiently strong (partially, because the inspectors from the EU noted that the structure is irreparable). Neither Orascom, nor North Korea have those 2 billions

I have no problem believing that safety in buildings in North Korea degraded even further in the last years, so it is no surprise for me that there are buildings in even worse conditions over there. Rumor is, though it's only rumor, that much of the concrete in the Slaughterhotel might not even be reinforced.
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #18
Hada

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Btw, a bit more on topic remark, how should we call such a skyscraper? Crumblescraper?
Skycrapper???
Hada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Kanto
Roof height crusader

LOL, I like it
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #20
ThatOneGuy

Just the ones in my link