search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 369

Drama Hub former Birmingham Municipal Bank Broad Street

Please excuse the poor quality of the photo (I took a quick snap with my phone to act as an aid memoir but I can't find anything on line about the project). The project is part of the Made in Birmingham exhibition at the Mailbox. I was assured by those looking after the event that this was a real project rather than just a pretend project. Does anyone know about this (apologies if I've missed it and this has already been posted):

Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1263

Hope this is real because it's a brilliant idea!
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 74

Sounds like a brilliant plan, hope this comes off

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 363

Ahhh, I missed this from the expo. Looks a good idea.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
brumwill

Likes (Received): 8

I saw this at the expo, but I assumed it was a concept project, rather than genuine. Great stuff that it might be a real one :-) Great idea.
brumwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #6
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3577

Good news

So is it a teaching facility or a venue like the Rep?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 369

I was told it was a real live project, although that doesn't mean it will definitely happen. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice to have some collaboration as well just to be sure
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #8
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 363

What level was this on in the mailbox spread?
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

Very interesting and I like it. I wonder who the client is? It looks like the extension might have quite a nice impact on the square - understated yet solid. And seeing that it's Glenn Howells, I think we can be confident that it will be very sensitive to the original building.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #10
feltip

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post
What level was this on in the mailbox spread?
Think it was ground floor from memory. Popped in myself and I too thought was student project. Lok forward to idea developing into anther cultural anchor to centenary square.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

The client is Birmingham City Uni, by the way.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Sparks68

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread View Post
Please excuse the poor quality of the photo (I took a quick snap with my phone to act as an aid memoir but I can't find anything on line about the project). The project is part of the Made in Birmingham exhibition at the Mailbox. I was assured by those looking after the event that this was a real project rather than just a pretend project. Does anyone know about this (apologies if I've missed it and this has already been posted):

These premises are a big part of the http://btvfloc.eventbrite.co.uk/ Birmingham TV & Film Locations Tour on 6th October 2012, if anyone is interested.
Sparks68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Pompous Pilate

Likes (Received): 2

Truly one of Birmingham's greatest building, outside and in...

who wouldnt want this...

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...-Bank-Feb-2010

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...k-Jan-Feb-2010

Good luck to Glenn Howells and the Uni with this...could be great asset for Birmingham again.
Pompous Pilate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #14
brumwill

Likes (Received): 8

Great photos. So sad to see such a great building looking very sad and forgotten
brumwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #15
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 5856

Look at the size of that safe door!!!

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2532

What is the timescale for this ... if there is one?
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #17
sefton66

Not sure if this actually has any weight behind it, but looks like the building may get bought back to use but not for this...

Quote:
Bank of Dave star wants to start business in Birmingham
by Cillian OBrien, Birmingham Post Nov 29 2012

A self-made millionaire who set up a ‘bank’ in his home town for those who couldn’t get credit anywhere else wants to duplicate the scheme in Birmingham – and bring a historic building back to life.

Dave Fishwick – star of Channel 4’s Bank of Dave – claims there is now a two-year waiting list to pay in to his Burnley Savings and Loans and is aiming to repeat the model in the Midlands to serve individuals and businesses.

Part of the plan could see Mr Fishwick revive the former Birmingham Municipal Bank in Broad Street, which has stood empty for more than a decade.

Mr Fishwick, who also runs the largest minibus supplier in Britain, noticed many of his customers were unable to obtain loans from high street banks after the credit crunch so decided to do something about it.

Adopting a back to basics approach, he obtained the necessary licences to issue loans last September and, after seeing how little savers were got elsewhere, offers an impressive five per cent return. Profits from the scheme go to the community.

Mr Fishwick said: “We lend £25,000 a week and we take in £25,000, that’s £100,000 a month, £1.2 million a year and £3.6 million over three years.

“We give five per cent net and I’m lending it at slightly more than that. We have lent to hundreds of businesses already.

“I’ve got a 97 per cent return. Each pound you don’t give back is a pound you can’t give to other people like you. We’ve got a massive repayment rate. It’s very difficult for SMEs to obtain loans. Community decisions are better, not decisions made three or four hundred miles away.”

He added: “I’ve got 25 years banking experience and my business partner has 35 years banking experience.”

While in the city, Mr Fishwick visited the derelict head office of the former Municipal Bank on Broad Street, which was established in the aftermath of the First World War as a savings bank for the citizens of Birmingham.

The council-owned building, which has a Grade II preservation order, has been empty since 2001 and is earmarked for offices as part of the long-awaited Arena Central and V-Building development.

Mr Fishwick, who wants to end a culture of “greed and bonuses”, said the bank could be reopened for the community.

“Money was released to banks and the banks sat on it 300 hundred miles away,” he said.

“They need to go back to old-fashioned banking. A lot of bank managers would never have run a business.

“There are people in Birmingham who have taken out pay day loans with 4,000 per cent APR. They’re never going to be able to get out of that debt.”
http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...5233-32326636/
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #18
sefton66

Quote:
Birmingham’s former Municipal Bank building is to host a temporary contemporary art exhibition.

The Grade II listed building on Broad Street, opposite the Library of Birmingham, is to open to the public for three days for Thrift Radiates Happiness.

TRH will present work based on the British class system, the UK recession and investment in art and the world economy, according to the exhibition blog.

The foyer will host a specially commissioned sound piece by Birmingham artist Elly Clarke and the offices off the entrance will house work by Tom Crawford, Caitlin Griffiths, Ellie Harrison and Nicole Wilson, all of whom present works based on commerce, current economic issues, up-cycling objects and investment.

The event has received financial backing from international architecture firm Aedas through Aedas Presents, the Royal Institute of British Architects and Arts Council West Midlands and is supported by Birmingham’s Trove art gallery, Birmingham Architects Association and Birmingham City Council.

Aedas Presents was founded by Kate Eagle, marketing manager for Aedas West Midlands, and the director of Trove, curator Charlie Levine, in 2010.

Its original aim was to bring emerging artists into a corporate space, offer first solo show opportunities and challenge Aedas’ audience, visitors and employees with something new.

Its last show was in Aedas’ Birmingham office in Colmore Plaza in May 2012.

The council-owned Municipal Bank building has been empty since 2001 and was earmarked for offices as part of the long-awaited Arena Central and V-Building development.

It was also a possible site for the new home of the Birmingham School of Acting, part of Birmingham City University.

Thrift Radiates Happiness will open March 13 and close March 17 and is free to enter.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz2HHfn85QK
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #19
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 215

http://www.thriftradiateshappiness.com/index.html
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #20
cmpd1

Likes (Received): 126

Is this linked to this?

http://www.redbrick.me/news/universi...g-city-centre/