search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Taiwan Forums 台灣論壇 > Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施

Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施 Development of infrastructure in Taiwan

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
kalifese

Likes (Received): 34

Taipei Songshan Cultural Park

i dont think this was reported here or if it was it barely got any attention. kinda weird they are building a big hotel in a "cultural park". not much culture in a hotel. you'd think they'd build a museum or cultural theater or performance hall or something instead. well at least it's designed by toyo ito!

http://www.taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xit...662&CtNode=416

Songshan Cultural Park is set to become the ROC capital’s latest architectural and cultural landmark upon opening in May 2013, Taipei City Mayor Hau Lung-bin said April 23.

Hau’s announcement came at the beam erection ceremony for the new park. Also in attendance were renowned Japanese architect Toyo Ito, one of the main designers of the project, and Fubon Financial Holding Co. Chairman Daniel M. Tsai, whose group is one of the project’s principal shareholders.

“The park will make Taipei the cultural creative capital among ethnic Chinese communities and serve as the basis of the city’s bid for world design capital in 2016,” Hau said.

“We hope the park can promote and encourage the development of Taiwan’s cultural creative industry,” Fubon’s Tsai added.

Converted from the 75-year-old Songshan Tobacco Factory in eastern Taipei, the park encompasses an 18-story building that includes a hotel, theaters, offices for the cultural industry and an Eslite Bookstore.

Next to the building, and an integral part of the park, are 6.6 hectares of abandoned factories and renovated warehouses.

“Back in the 1930s, the tobacco factory was like a utopia, providing its employees with everything they needed in life,” Ito said. “The project seeks to integrate the historical site with new construction and natural ecology, and will be showcased to the citizens and the world.”

According to the Taipei City Government, Fubon Group invested NT$8.6 billion (US$287 million) in the project, with NT$7.3 billion as the construction cost, while the rest is for development royalty. (HZW)
kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
kalifese

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #3
tchen

Likes (Received): 29

More photos from taiwan-city forums:

May 2012:

tchen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Awesome.e

Likes (Received): 27

NICE!! What r they building around it?
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Awesome.e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
tchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome.e View Post
NICE!! What r they building around it?
It's the location for the Taipei Dome and its surrounding complex!
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6
kalifese

i like the asian pagoda style roof on the hotel. taiwan should create more contemporary asian style buildings like this instead of just copying and replicating traditional european architecture.

and although i like the hotel, i really dont think it belongs in this park. they shouldve turned it into an athletic field or green park. taipei needs more greenery. it just doesnt make sense this is a "cultural park" with a big sports dome and historical buildings and they build a hotel in it.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Awesome.e

WOW! you are slapping urself in the face. You just said European architecture is the best and what not. You like the pagoda style on the hotel but you dont like the pagoda style at Taipei 101? 101 is a landmark. When people see 101, they immediately know its Taipei. When they see the Petronas, they immediately know its Kuala Lumpur.
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
kalifese

i didnt say european architecture as a "style" is the best or better than asian style. what i meant was the quality of architecture in europe is better than the quality of architecture in taiwan. and that the quality of european or western trained architects including japanese architects are better than taiwanese architects in general. i think most people know this, even among many taiwanese. so im not stating anything new or unheard of here. and i've said this many times in many posts here that i think taiwan should emphasize their asian culture and design more asian style buildings instead of just blatantly copying traditional european-style architecture, as often times they are copied really badly anyway.

the pagoda style roof of this hotel as translated into a contemporary style building is way better than the translation of traditional asian/chinese aesthetics in taipei 101. the same can be said of petronas towers and jin mao which are successful translations of traditional asian style architecture. you have to be a designer to understand what i'm talking about or at least have an eye for it. there's a reason why taipei 101 has not won any major design awards.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #9
cameronrex

Likes (Received): 261

Awesome.e I suggest letting this go. Many commentators here agree that Taipei 101 is a cool building. It is also iconic. No one can deny that. Some may not like the tower and or its design. That is their right. Unfortunately, you can not have reasonable discussions with someone that acts as both judge and jury: tells you that no awards have been won AND denies the validity of any award in fact won. On top of that, to insult the majority of readers in this forum by claiming we cannot understand the commentator's wisdom without a degree in design.... Arrogance, pure and simple. You can not reason with that.
cameronrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #10
kalifese

wow some of you have difficulties with reading comprehension. you cant have discussions with people who cant even understand english!! no offense, but fact!!

scroll back to my comments. i never said taipei 101 never won any awards. i said taipei 101 has never won any MAJOR INTERNATIONAL DESIGN awards. show me evidence taipei 101 has won a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL DESIGN award. again, i will repeat MAJOR INTERNATIONAL DESIGN award. dont make me repeat it again as it's extremely tiring.

http://www.amcham.com.tw/index2.php?..._pdf=1&id=1050

Quote:
Designed by C. Y. Lee & Partners, Taipei 101 has been a controversial piece of work. It has been a source of pride that
Taiwan possessed the construction technology to be able to build the world's tallest building, served by the world's
fastest elevators. But many critics complained that the design incorporated too many Chinese elements - such as the
basic pagoda shape and the ancient-coin motif on the exterior. Others have objected that the abrupt way the building
seems to touch the ground gives it an unwelcoming disposition.

It is noteworthy that when the building was recognized at the 2005 Far Eastern Outstanding Architectural Design Awards,
Taiwan's most prestigious prizes in the profession, Taipei 101 garnered a Special Award rather than one of the regular
prizes for architectural excellence. The judges reportedly engaged in heated discussion before reaching their decision.
Although most of them questioned such elements as the building's style, artistic value, practicality, and even political
connotation, the consensus was that Taipei 101 deserves credit for having created an urban monument that the people
of the city have taken to heart.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Awesome.e

I hope by 2017, Taipei will be a renewed city to welcome the world!
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:38 AM   #12
tchen

August 2012:

Taipei Dome Construction Area:

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:26 AM   #13
tchen

Construction Status as of 10/17/12: (from taiwan city forums)

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
kalifese

lookin good, thanks for posting! the concrete looks whiter than the previous pics which looked mucky grey. did they paint it or something? i was beginning to get worried it was gonna be another yucky grey concrete building.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
tchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
lookin good, thanks for posting! the concrete looks whiter than the previous pics which looked mucky grey. did they paint it or something? i was beginning to get worried it was gonna be another yucky grey concrete building.
Lol, it's definitely whiter, but no idea on what the "final" color will be.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Awesome.e

it doesnt matter how white it is, its going to turn grey in a few months!
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
tchen

Construction Update 11/25/2012: (from taiwan city forums)

More photos from 12/1/2012:

Old December 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #18
kalifese

looks good. thanks for posting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinho View Post
Most of the time i agree with Kalifese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss
:):)Hi kalifese, I am from India.. Youre doing a great job in the thread btw.
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Awesome.e

nice! looks like a hospital :p haha!
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #20
kalifese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome.e View Post
nice! looks like a hospital :p haha!
you're always sooooo critical...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinho View Post
Most of the time i agree with Kalifese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss
:):)Hi kalifese, I am from India.. Youre doing a great job in the thread btw.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: