daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Please help me find the name of an architect

In 1904 a competition was held to find a design for the future Carnegie-Mellon university in Pittsburgh. There were dozens of architects who participated with the eventual winner being Henry Hornbostel. Around 10 years ago I came across an image of one of the other entries that had been turned down. I'm not completely certain but I think I found it while reading an Architectural Record magazine from the 1990s. I was so impressed by its unusual design that I made a xerox copy. Unfortunately this was lost a few years ago when my archives were accidentally thrown away. I've been slowly rebuilding them ever since. One of those papers I have been eager to re-add to my collection was the CMU competition entry described above. I've spent many hours on the internet as well as searching the architecture library at the U. of Texas in Austin. So far I have found only a few related items, including three of the entries:

http://digital-libraries.saic.edu/cd...n&CISOROOT=all

I even made contact with the archivist of CMU's arch. school and the only information he could provide was an incomplete list of the architects. These leads turned up nothing as well. Would anybody here at SSC know of a source where these designs could possibly be found? I wish I could give you an accurate description of the particular one I am searching for but its been a long time since I've seen it last and my memory of the details have faded significantly. Thank you for you're help.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links