daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:14 AM   #21
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2575

One of the most distinctive in Asia would be Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong.

The formation of the KWC surrounded by slums back in the 1960s - 1970s

The Walled City during it's Peak.

The Walled City set to be demolished during the early to mid 90s. The surrounding slums were replaced by public housing and a park.

Kowloon Walled City today is now a park. The entire building was demolished. Only the yamen remained.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:10 AM   #22
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
Chinese slums look so square and organized from above.
strictly, it's not a real "slum" , just old commic blocks.
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:25 AM   #23
derechaconservadora
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post

The formation of the KWC surrounded by slums back in the 1960s - 1970s

The Walled City during it's Peak.

amazing foto
derechaconservadora no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #24
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6882

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
strictly, it's not a real "slum" , just old commic blocks.
There were some commieblocks in the slums. But all of the smaller buildings are shitty village-type housing.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM   #25
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5840

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Massive slum clearance in Tianjin:
While the scale and sheer extend of development is very impressive I have to comment on it with mixed feelings. The square like "slum" was
actually the very old town of Tianjin. Sure, for today's measures its more like a slum than anything else but I'd be surprised if this almost complete destruction of the entire old town (even if large parts were run down or of little value) didn't destroy a lot of potential as well as hundreds of years of history.

I refuse to belief that it would have been such an impossible task to save at least the main throughways and possibly a substantial amount of the most central quarters, restore them fit for modern use, (possibly restoring authentic historic facades, not tearing everything down and then put totally unrelated new "China Disney" streets in its place as it was done in Tianjin
or Beijing).

As far as I know China already has some examples where a respectful way and the saving of historic core areas worked out pretty fine.

I know my views are biased as I am European but just look at the example of Prague, ruled by Communism for decades who also thought of modern city development as something of high priority. But even they did not touch the historic medieval core of the city. (Look at current view from above: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sbd...ic&form=LMLTCC)

On the other side some European modernists had similar plans like the one realized in Tianjin on your pictures. Le Corbusier for example thought of tearing a vast piece of the very heart o Paris and replacing it with ultra-wide roads and row after row of concrete blocks. Just imagine if Paris would today look like this:

Old July 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM   #26
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by derechaconservadora View Post
amazing foto
You might like this ...

http://creativeroots.org/2011/05/kowloon-walled-city/
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #27
macgreggor22

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I will come back to the subject of slums, eklips, but to call the Algerian terrorists "peaceful protesters" is to be very un-French!!! At least.

=========================================================

Slums are irrecoverable places.

I'm against the idea of "making slums better".

A "successful story of a slum" is, therefore, on in which the substandard settlement was replaced by modern housing or any other up-to-date urban use. The original population might or might not live in the area after the slum was cleared.

I don't think the urban poor living in illegal settlements have much choice but to accept whatever the public authorities throw at them. They are illegally living in that place...

Now, there is the issue of merely impoverished, but legal, residential areas. I think they are distinct problems. So to the OP: what do you refer by "slums"? Because my answer vary greatly on the legality, formality and abeyance to urban codes of the buildings/area.
Sorry my use of the word success was not supposed to convey some kind of overarching 'solution' to all the woes of the urban poor, as obviously that doesn't exist. Merely any positive steps that have been taken in the context, big or small. Slums are what the majority of the urban population calls home. If they're 'irrecoverable' that's a very significant portion of humanity that you've just written off.

For example in the slums of Mumbai, in the 1990's where there was approximately 1 toilet seat for every 1,200 persons, and most of them were in such a bad state as to be rendered useless, a women's savings grou Mahila Milan (women together) conducted a participatory design process liased with local authorities and through a particpatory design process were able to address a pressing need, improve public health as well develop community cohesion and confidence in dealing with authorities. That'sa positive story of people collaborating to address a pressing urban issue.

Another example from the Dona Marta favela in Rio where two dutch artists in partnership with a local paint company trained and employed local youth to create a 7000m2 mural on the dwellings in the centre square, enhancing community pride of place and collective will to maintain the area, as well as creating a tourist attraction and source of income for the local economy.
macgreggor22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #28
daneo

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Massive slum clearance in Tianjin:

Such a shame that China is destroying her old towns at such a massive scale.
these buildings aren't slums right? they are old houses and have a great historical content. too bad almost everything is being replaced by those huge unhuman appartment blocks.
daneo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #29
Baleares
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

WTF???
Baleares no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #30
George W. Bush
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
KWC was very bizarre and beyond interesting. It should have been declared as a historic monument by UNESCO.

George W. Bush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Slartibartfas

Tianjin also has a large European architectural heritage. I don't know how people think there about this quasi colonial "concessions" architecture. But if city planners hold that heritage as dear as the very own Chinese architectural heritage I expect that these European buildings won't survive much longer either.

The positive thing about at least partially replacing these old quarter with fake architecture is that these new quarters at least retain a pedestrian friendly character somewhat.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM   #32
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush View Post
KWC was very bizarre and beyond interesting. It should have been declared as a historic monument by UNESCO.
Wow, that was a great documentary. While this was certainly a rather terrible place to live it was also an incredibly fascinating one. Its a pity that there is so little documented about it.

Also because of that I am really surprised that one of the very few things one can find is this documentary made by an Austrian. I knew that Hugo Portisch was a great documentary maker but I had no idea that reached as far as to the KWC.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #33
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

(West) Germany in the 1970s

before

after

Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM   #34
Slartibartfas

I doubt Schrebergärten fit the definition of slums.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:14 AM   #35
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneo

these buildings aren't slums right? they are old houses and have a great historical content. too bad almost everything is being replaced by those huge unhuman appartment blocks.
Believe me, it was extremely filthy. Yes it was the Tianjin old town but it didn't look any different than any other north China slum. There wasn't much unique, it simply was the area where Tianjin was founded, occupied at the time by crappy village type housing with filthy dirt tracks in between. Much better nowadays.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #36
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas
Tianjin also has a large European architectural heritage. I don't know how people think there about this quasi colonial "concessions" architecture. But if city planners hold that heritage as dear as the very own Chinese architectural heritage I expect that these European buildings won't survive much longer either.

The positive thing about at least partially replacing these old quarter with fake architecture is that these new quarters at least retain a pedestrian friendly character somewhat.
The European architecture is being very well preserved and there's also a good amount of faux historical buildings going up too. The thing is, the European buildings in Tianjin actually are unique, while the old Chinese buildings were not. The housing looked exactly the same as what you can find in any north China village. The unique drum tower in the middle was preserved because it was actually unique but everything else was really just slum type housing.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM   #37
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21123

Sometimes, here and there, I see people mistaking semi-public gardens common in Northern Europe, which have small partially habitable cottages, be mistaken as slums. Though there might have been the case of some gardens "taken over" by more "permanent" residents, these small building you usually see are just installations people use to stock their things, and some (retirees do this often) will stay couple days on these buildings during summer, sunbathing and relaxing. But they are not permanent residences. People who own these garden buildings usually also own/rent a residence in the city.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM   #38
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneo View Post
These places are not some small old-quarter quaint walled town... they are massive hazardous and substandard settlements unsuitable for modern living. And they ought to be cleared out.

European cities did the same starting from the 1910s onwards... Only that at the time we didn't have nostalgic people on the internetz crying over the clearance of these filthy areas of booming European cities at the time.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM   #39
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrazer View Post
Anyway, best example I can think of in Australia would be Cabramatta in Sydney. Was a Vietnamese ghetto and a huge hub of the heroin trade. Gangs, street dealing and junkies populated the area. Now it's a decent area which has mostly cleaned up the rubbish of before while retaining its Vietnamese character.
Slum clearance doesn't necessarily involve removal of the population.

However, if an area improves enough to the point where it becomes attractive, even if the original population was not removed during the clearance but given housing in the same place, over time they will move out because it will become just financially rewarding to do so. Or if they don't own the new buildings, rents will price them out over time.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #40
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4413

This is slum in southern China

Guangzhou

How these look like

Shenzhen

This is how these look like

VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
urban